Amtrak 153 sold-out NYP to PHL on 4/14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northeastern292

Service Attendant
Guys,

As some of you might know, I'm involved with RPA (NARP) and I was going to make a day trip to PHL on April 14th for the RPA/NARP event at Temple University. The train I was going to take, train 153 (152 as well) has been "sold out" and my only option is either shelling out $80 (one way) for a Saver seat on Acela (which would help me make Select this year) or a bus to Philly.

Is this due to Amtrak's track work at Penn? Regardless, it's frustrating to say the least. Shouldn't there be better indication if a train is cancelled due to track work?

Can you take NJ Transit to Trenton, then SEPTA to Philly? And same thing home, only in reverse?

Of course, it would take forever, and might not be that much cheaper, but it is another option.

School vacation week for much of New England runs that week. Trains are always packed with people going to DC and Florida.

Guys,

As some of you might know, I'm involved with RPA (NARP) and I was going to make a day trip to PHL on April 14th for the RPA/NARP event at Temple University. The train I was going to take, train 153 (152 as well) has been "sold out" and my only option is either shelling out $80 (one way) for a Saver seat on Acela (which would help me make Select this year) or a bus to Philly.

Is this due to Amtrak's track work at Penn? Regardless, it's frustrating to say the least. Shouldn't there be better indication if a train is cancelled due to track work?
It might not be ideal, but I suggest you go with Acela. If you really need to save money however, take NJT/SEPTA, because it will be a lot cheaper than ANY Amtrak fare.

Shell out the $80. I mean, you are advocating rail, right?
What? You expect a rail enthusiast to actually pay to ride trains? perish the thought LOL
default_tongue.png

Since I'm looking at building AGR, I might just do the Acela option there and come back on a Keystone. I guess what's got me curious is if the trains were victims of the Penn Station trackwork.

I could do the NJT-SEPTA combo, but I'd be waking up at 5AM.

There is a service alert posted on the website. It mentions changes in running times and delays, but I didn't notice anything about cancellations.

There is a temporary schedule (eff 3-10) and 153 (SA/SU) is still on it.

You could take train 661, the Keystone leaving NYP at 7:00 a.m. It gets to Philly at 8:20, plenty of time to get to the meeting at 10:00. Keystones are nice, although you'll miss the best part (the lovely ride through PA farmland to Harrisburg).

I'm thinking of doing one of my Philly getaways that weekend--I've got enough hotel points, plus free breakfasts for my loyalty level, plus I'll just take SEPTA. Fairly inexpensive weekend. Might be good to see what the "new" RPA is up to, and no point in doing tourist stuff in April because the tourists will be there!
default_tongue.png

Can you go if you're not a member? I did a few years ago, but I think I was a member then. (And before you all start asking me why I haven't joined, it's because the two most recent times I did, they never sent me a membership card, which made me wonder just how efficient they are.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take the Acela. Maybe more expensive, but I would never take a bus in a heartbeat. You could also take a Keystone.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Ended up cashing in my voucher and getting the Acela to Philly that I got as a result of an aborted trip. Northbound on a Regional. Tweeted out to Amtrak and to quote their rep: "Inventory is shut down for schedule changes in Spring."

There is a hold on those trains until they clear up scheduling issues. They may stay...they may go.

Oh, good grief--didn't realize what was meant. If the Acela doesn't run, will he have to pay that stupid new penalty to change the voucher? (After all, it isn't his fault if the Acela doesn't run.)

The Acelas are more of a safe bet then the regionals and especially the keystones. Acela is the flagship, and the NER have more ridership then keystones.

And to answer Venture Forths question about railfans not paying for trains. It is very true if you operate any sort of excursion railfans would rather chase it and photograph it for free then ride. But if you cancel due to lack of ticket sales they moan about the cancellation. Railfans want more trains but generally they don't tend to patronize them.

The Acelas are more of a safe bet then the regionals and especially the keystones. Acela is the flagship, and the NER have more ridership then keystones.

And to answer Venture Forths question about railfans not paying for trains. It is very true if you operate any sort of excursion railfans would rather chase it and photograph it for free then ride. But if you cancel due to lack of ticket sales they moan about the cancellation. Railfans want more trains but generally they don't tend to patronize them.
I never understood how so many railfans will drive around the country chasing trains but not ride them. I enjoy watching trains, but will not drive to a location to watch them. I would rather just plan a trip on the train.

Exactly. My case in point I was working a contract to organize a dinner train in Chicago. The railfans loved it because it was planned to have two E8s for power. Then were mad when I cancelled it. It was only cancelled because we didn't have the sales to make it work. They also were miffed the e units didn't match, and the train was hard to chase because of urban roads.

You could take train 661, the Keystone leaving NYP at 7:00 a.m. It gets to Philly at 8:20, plenty of time to get to the meeting at 10:00. Keystones are nice, although you'll miss the best part (the lovely ride through PA farmland to Harrisburg).

I'm thinking of doing one of my Philly getaways that weekend--I've got enough hotel points, plus free breakfasts for my loyalty level, plus I'll just take SEPTA. Fairly inexpensive weekend. Might be good to see what the "new" RPA is up to, and no point in doing tourist stuff in April because the tourists will be there!
default_tongue.png

Can you go if you're not a member? I did a few years ago, but I think I was a member then. (And before you all start asking me why I haven't joined, it's because the two most recent times I did, they never sent me a membership card, which made me wonder just how efficient they are.)
Interesting. I have never received my card either. Of course, its only been since last July when I joined.

I'm thinking of doing one of my Philly getaways that weekend--I've got enough hotel points, plus free breakfasts for my loyalty level, plus I'll just take SEPTA. Fairly inexpensive weekend. Might be good to see what the "new" RPA is up to, and no point in doing tourist stuff in April because the tourists will be there! [emoji14]

Interesting. I have never received my card either. Of course, its only been since last July when I joined.
There was a mail problem with RPA a while back. Reach out to them and let them know you haven't gotten your membership card.
Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Exactly. My case in point I was working a contract to organize a dinner train in Chicago. The railfans loved it because it was planned to have two E8s for power. Then were mad when I cancelled it. It was only cancelled because we didn't have the sales to make it work. They also were miffed the e units didn't match, and the train was hard to chase because of urban roads.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

As long as you pay the entry fee at the door, I am sure no one will mind welcoming anyone who pays the designated entry fee, which may be somewhat discounted for members of NARP., DVARP and NJ-ARP, and will definitely be discounted for early registrants.

Guys,

There is a hold on those trains until they clear up scheduling issues. They may stay...they may go.
It looks likes they are gone. With the exception of July 4th, 152 and 153 will not operate on weekends until further notice.

Back