Amtrak accepting reservation NYP PHL (soon)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the email from Amtrak. My train to CIN-WIL is cancelled. I was able to revise it to WAS then catch a regional to WIL. The train the AGR CR put me on in WAS leaves an hour after I was supposed to arrive in WIL. If 50 is on time into WAS, I'll see if I can get on an earlier one, but I imagine they're all going to be pretty full.

Go to http://www.amtrak.com. It shows that there are other trains operating on that day between Philly and Washington DC. Just book one of those trains using the voucher or refund that you get from Amtrak.
I will give them a call soon, because I don't know how the prices will work out. The tickets available now for the other trains are in higher buckets than when I initially purchased.

If there is a historical example to go by...am I expected to pay the difference, or does Amtrak call it even since it's not my fault?

Just wondering so I know what to expect/ask the CSR if they say the opposite.
Amtrak is one of the more unpredictable outfits in my experience when it comes to handling customers, so I have no idea what they'll say. But you should point out to them that it is they that canceled the train between Philly and Washington and they have other trains running so they should accommodate you on one of those trains for the same original fare. If necessary escalate to a supervisor.

Under similar circumstance I tend to get more predictable good or bad behavior from almost any airline that I ever have to deal with.
So... I called and my reservation was changed to the closest time train for no extra fees.

Go to http://www.amtrak.com. It shows that there are other trains operating on that day between Philly and Washington DC. Just book one of those trains using the voucher or refund that you get from Amtrak.
I will give them a call soon, because I don't know how the prices will work out. The tickets available now for the other trains are in higher buckets than when I initially purchased.

If there is a historical example to go by...am I expected to pay the difference, or does Amtrak call it even since it's not my fault?

Just wondering so I know what to expect/ask the CSR if they say the opposite.
Amtrak is one of the more unpredictable outfits in my experience when it comes to handling customers, so I have no idea what they'll say. But you should point out to them that it is they that canceled the train between Philly and Washington and they have other trains running so they should accommodate you on one of those trains for the same original fare. If necessary escalate to a supervisor.
Under similar circumstance I tend to get more predictable good or bad behavior from almost any airline that I ever have to deal with.
So... I called and my reservation was changed to the closest time train for no extra fees.
Excellent! Have a good trip!

I'm getting emails stating they're waiving the refund fee till the 19th for anyone who wants to cancel and get a refund.

FWIW received an email from Amtrak this afternoon stating:

Our records indicate that you are scheduled to depart on Amtrak train number 91 from New-York-Penn-Station-New-York at 11:02AM on Sunday May 17 and arriving in Orlando-Florida.

That schedule has been cancelled due to a-service-disruption. There is no alternate service available. To speak to a customer service representative about travel options such as selecting another date or destination call us at 8772319448 at your earliest convenience.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for being a valued Amtrak customer.

Sincerely,
Amtrak

After a lengthy call this evening I was able to rebook the trip on Tuesday, May 19. Had I wanted to travel on May 17 on 91 I would have to begin the trip from WAS. Providing my own transportation from NYP to WAS would have been my responsibility. Amtrak service between these two points were not available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the email from Amtrak. My train to CIN-WIL is cancelled. I was able to revise it to WAS then catch a regional to WIL. The train the AGR CR put me on in WAS leaves an hour after I was supposed to arrive in WIL. If 50 is on time into WAS, I'll see if I can get on an earlier one, but I imagine they're all going to be pretty full.
So did Amtrak Cancel the Cardinal or will it be terminating in WAS? Are you riding #50 or #30 to WAS???
That actually might work better for you since #50 Leaves earlier our of CHI than #30, and #30 also gets to WAS much earlier than the usually Late Card!

Hopefully Amtrak will have their stuff together by then so you get home in time to rest up to start your new job!,

They're not doing a very good job communicating during this crisis and are getting ripped for it from all sides!

So did Amtrak Cancel the Cardinal or will it be terminating in WAS? Are you riding #50 or #30 to WAS???
That actually might work better for you since #50 Leaves earlier our of CHI than #30, and #30 also gets to WAS much earlier than the usually Late Card!

Hopefully Amtrak will have their stuff together by then so you get home in time to rest up to start your new job!,

They're not doing a very good job communicating during this crisis and are getting ripped for it from all sides!
Jim, the email said canceled, but that was because I was going further than WAS. Since I figured it would terminate in WAS, I called to add a regional from WAS. So I'm still taking #50 (BTW, I've read many posts on FB that the Cardinal has been having great times). I have no complaints about their communications. Obviously the immediate time after the derailment it would take time to "organize" and figure out how things are going to run.

I don't generally mind doing my own rescheduling, but this is a real example of how service standards have dropped in this country. Used to be, you'd get fully rebooked by the carrier (air, bus, or rail), and now they nearly all leave you on your own.

It's startling that people scheduled to go from the South to points from WAS to PHL weren't automatically put on connecting trains, given that trains are still running WAS-PHL.

I received a call from Amtrak last night advising that my Saturday re-book on #97 had been canceled.

I am now re-booked on New Jersey Transit from NYP to PHL this morning, then on Amtrak #83 to

WAS and finally #97 to Florida. I was able to get my sleeper accommodation on #97. The Amtrak

staff were most helpful in the process. I just hope everything works as planned. The only downside

is that I will have to carry my luggage onto and off of four trains, but compared to the people of #188,

my situation is minor.

I should clarify that Amtrak "suggested" the NJ Transit leg and I will book it myself.

Amtrak sent me an updated e-ticket for #83 & #97.

Shanghai,

Unless something has changed at NJT as a result of this incident, there are no bookings to be made. One just gets on the NJT train and goes.

Hi Folks. Been following this thread and watching the news about this horrible event.

I honestly don't know what to make of the accident so I will let the experts sort that out.

I do have a question: A co-worker is traveling from New Haven to Boston on Monday morning on #66 from Virginia Beach.

Since it goes through Philadelphia, any idea if it is running?

Since I booked the ticket for her, I received a weird email -- Not sure how to read between the lines of this.

My gut is telling me this is the first step toward a cancellation.

Wait time at Amtrak reservation number was *70* minutes.....

[SIZE=10pt]From:[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] Amtrak [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:45 PM
To: ME (email addressed removed)
Subject: Important Amtrak Alert (Reservation number XXXXX (NAME DELETED FOR PRIVACY)
[/SIZE]

NORTHEAST CORRIDOR SERVICE DISRUPTION

We are deeply saddened by the loss of life and injuries to Amtrak passengers and employees as a result of the Amtrak Northeast Regional Train 188 derailment north of Philadelphia on Tuesday evening.

We are working to restore regular service as quickly as possible and understand that being informed about schedule changes is important. You can find updated schedule information, and confirm or modify your travel plans at Amtrak.com, the Amtrak app or by calling 1-800-USARAIL. Refund fees will be waived through May 19, 2015 for customers who prefer to cancel their trip rather than reschedule. Schedules will continue to change as service is restored. If a change to your itinerary occurs, we will notify you prior to departure.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we diligently work to fully restore service and re-accommodate passengers.

Sincerely,

Amtrak Customer Service

But the train #66 comes from Virginia through DC and Philly and New York and New Haven to Boston....unless I looked at the schedule wrong, correct?

Since when does NJT run from New York to Philadelphia?
I think it's NJT to SEPTA (as the website outlines.) The website makes it sound as though you can get a through ticket to both NJT and SEPTA at the counter with one ticket, so then it would be a NJT-booked trip (just on both NJT and SEPTA.)

Upto the 13th 66/67 ran in two sections. On the 14th it is not clear what happened yet. For some reason a lot of the information is missing from Amtrak Train Status. Going forward Amtrak appears to be accepting reservation for the two sections BOS-NYP and PHL-NPN and vice versa.

Since when does NJT run from New York to Philadelphia?
I think it's NJT to SEPTA (as the website outlines.) The website makes it sound as though you can get a through ticket to both NJT and SEPTA at the counter with one ticket, so then it would be a NJT-booked trip (just on both NJT and SEPTA.)
You never get one ticket even in normal times. While you can get it from the same TVM it is always two tickets, one of them clearly marked as a SEPTA ticket. I have been there and done this so many times that I don;t even have to think what the tickets look like. They are etched in my brain :)

I am in Philadelphia now. I took the NJT Trenton Express to Trenton.
There were several people doing the same route. There were NJT & SEPTA
personnel at the station & signage to guide us to the shuttle bus.
The bus arrived in a few minutes and away we went to the West Trenton SEPTA
station. We were met by a SEPTA employee and 9 minutes later we were on
board the train. We detrained at 30th street station. It was a well organized and executed
transfer. Now, I'm waiting in the Amtrak lounge until board the train to WAS.

PS - I don't know why part of this message is in bold type??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back