Amtrak Advertisement Blitz

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Has anyone else noticed a recent blitz of Amtrak TV ads. At least here in NY on NBC, I've been seeing at least 2 per hour during prime time for the last few nights. It's a pretty decent comercial, even though it doesn't really get into what routes Amtrak runs.

AlanB said:
Has anyone else noticed a recent blitz of Amtrak TV ads. At least here in NY on NBC, I've been seeing at least 2 per hour during prime time for the last few nights. It's a pretty decent comercial, even though it doesn't really get into what routes Amtrak runs.
I noticed them I think Fox 5 might have them as well, I saw two very close together, glad to see these, but they do need to get more into the equipment and/or routes.

Nothing out here on the west coast. There is a Capitol Corridor ad in the local newspaper about once a month, but that's about it. <_<

Actually, since TV commericals are only 30-60 seconds long you don't want to get into detail about the routes and equipment. What you want to say is "call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for reservations and information on routes and accomadations"along with the blitz about the discounts. Now if some commercails were dedicated to (and some are) the Acela, Auto Train, Silver Service, Intercity, etc. then that would work.

Amfleet said:
Actually, since TV commericals are only 30-60 seconds long you don't want to get into detail about the routes and equipment. What you want to say is "call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for reservations and information on routes and accomadations"along with the blitz about the discounts. Now if some commercails were dedicated to (and some are) the Acela, Auto Train, Silver Service, Intercity, etc. then that would work.
Like it used to be with the Auto Train, I remember the 2 commercials:

1) Was the one about how you won't wake up at the same place you fell asleep.

2) The Baggage Claim area where the car squeezes through and out on to the Baggage Carousel.

I agree, something like:

On Amtrak's Silver Service, you'll enjoy a relaxing ride between New York, Philadelphia, Washington, the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida in you're Viewliner Sleeping Car with a set of windows for each berth, which offers Deluxe accomodations with a Shower for two or more affordable Standard Rooms for two complete with toilet and access to a shower room in your car or Comfortable Amfleet II Coach with more leg room than First Class on an Airline. Hungary? You can sit down to a wonderfully prepared meal in the Dining Car which is included for Sleeping Car Passengers in their fare, or a Snack in the Lounge where you can talk with your fellow friendly passengers. So why fly? Avoid the hassels of the Security lines, or the effort of Driving and Relax on Board the Train. So ride Amtraks Silver Meteor or Silver Star, which offer convenient departure and Arrival times. Your vacation will begin the moment you board your train, because on Amtrak Getting there is half the fun.

Viewliner said:
On Amtrak's Silver Service, you'll enjoy a relaxing ride between New York, Philadelphia, Washington, the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida in you're Viewliner Sleeping Car with a set of windows for each berth, which offers Deluxe accomodations with a Shower for two or more affordable Standard Rooms for two complete with toilet and access to a shower room in your car or Comfortable Amfleet II Coach with more leg room than First Class on an Airline. Hungary? You can sit down to a wonderfully prepared meal in the Dining Car which is included for Sleeping Car Passengers in their fare, or a Snack in the Lounge where you can talk with your fellow friendly passengers. So why fly? Avoid the hassels of the Security lines, or the effort of Driving and Relax on Board the Train. So ride Amtraks Silver Meteor or Silver Star, which offer convenient departure and Arrival times. Your vacation will begin the moment you board your train, because on Amtrak Getting there is half the fun.
ALL of Amtrak's commercials should be like the one you wrote, Viewliner. Amtrak sounds abstract to most people listening. They hear Amtrak, and think "ah, it doesn't go where I need to go", or don't even associate it with their transportation needs. Advertising one specific route per commercial is EXACTLY what would increase business, especially in California where there are some great routes, although not nearly as many as back east.

Your commercail seemed a little too complex and detailed. What you could say is:

"On Amtrak's Silver Service, you'll enjoy a relaxing ride between the Northeast, Virgnia, the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. You can choose between a comfortable first class sleeping car accomadtions or coach class. Come and enjoy a freshly prepared meal in the dining car or enjoy a snack and socialize in the lounge. We offer two daily departures, both northbound and southbound for your convinience. So why fly? Avoid the hassels of the security lines, or the effort of driving and relax on Board the Train.

For more information call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit us online at www.amtrak.com

Your vacation will start the moment you board, because on Amtrak Getting there is half the fun."

Agreed, Amfleet. It is a little more direct and to the point while still telling about all the on-board services and destinations.

I don't know, I prefer to be more direct, but I guess you could say in your litte blurb how you can find more info about accomodations at Amtrak.com. But I think It's better to be a little more informative since the public won't know the first thing about Amtrak.

Viewliner said:
I don't know, I prefer to be more direct, but I guess you could say in your litte blurb how you can find more info about accomodations at Amtrak.com. But I think It's better to be a little more informative since the public won't know the first thing about Amtrak.
First off I think the public has a pretty good idea of what Amtrak is and the kind of service it provides. I've been taking a business course and we did a whole you unit on advertisment so trust me. You can't have details like that. The traveling public is not going to care most likely the name of the equipment beign used. Remember, you will have images too so as the anouncer says "first class sleeping car accomastions" you could be in a Viewliner Standard or Deluxe room. So forth and so on. Also you will loose ones attention when things get wordy. B)

Amfleet said:
First off I think the public has a pretty good idea of what Amtrak is and the kind of service it provides. I've been taking a business course and we did a whole you unit on advertisment so trust me. You can't have details like that. The traveling public is not going to care most likely the name of the equipment beign used. Remember, you will have images too so as the anouncer says "first class sleeping car accomastions" you could be in a Viewliner Standard or Deluxe room. So forth and so on. Also you will loose ones attention when things get wordy. B)
Amfleet,

You are quite correct. It needs to be catchy, but simple. If you overwhelm the public with info, they forget and/or tune it out.

Ps. I learned the same thing, 20 + years ago in a high school business course.

Okay, I'm wrong, but its not in my knowledge, as the only business course I take in High School is Computer Applications. Well I guess you really do learn something new everyday.

I suggest if your high-school offers entreprenuership, introduction to business, or accounting you may want to take one or all three of these coruses. It gives you great background info and will be good if you go and study business in college (I say this because you metioned you wanted to be some top official at Amtrak :) ). One interesting note in my text book. It related Amtrak as a monoply. Which it isn't considering it is controled by the government and no one else really wants to come in and take the bid.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV or hear a whole lot of the radio around here, but it seems that Chicagoland isn't getting the blast of advertising.

I saw some of the ads while I was in NY on Monday, I don't remember which station it was on.

Amfleet said:
I suggest if your high-school offers entreprenuership, introduction to business, or accounting you may want to take one or all three of these coruses. It gives you great background info and will be good if you go and study business in college (I say this because you metioned you wanted to be some top official at Amtrak :) ). One interesting note in my text book. It related Amtrak as a monoply. Which it isn't considering it is controled by the government and no one else really wants to come in and take the bid.
I will look into it soon as Scheduling is shortly after mid-terms. :unsure:

Viewliner said:
Amfleet said:
I will look into it soon as Scheduling is shortly after mid-terms. :unsure:
I have schuduling too, for my SENIOR year. Scary kind of. :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back