Amtrak America 2010/2011 edition

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristobal

Lead Service Attendant
I got mine in the mail yesterday and I must say that there is a lot more info to be had in this edition than there was in the one that I got last year before my very first trip on Amtrak. This edition even includes the floor plans (with room numbers in the sleeper cars!) and sleeper room outlines of all the cars used on their LD trains. The sleeper room numbers are something that can't even be found on Amtrak's own website. I highly recommend this free publication for anyone that may be considering a trip with Amtrak. :cool:

You can order your copy here:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...1/1237405732517

Now, on to the 'train nerd' stuff (my son would be so proud :rolleyes: )

Pg 42 shows what is captioned as 'the CZ near Green River, UT'.

However, the consist appears to be that of the EB:

engine

engine

baggage

trans-dorm

sleeper

sleeper

dining car

coach

coach

sightseer

coach

coach

sleeper

I can't dispute the location (it may or may not be where they say it is) but that certainly is not the CZ consist that I rode last July. Is it possible that they just made a mistake? Or would Amtrak put together a train just for a photo op? That seems unlikely to me...

The other pic that strikes me as funny is the truncated version of the EB (PDX-SPK) with only 4 cars. Which brings up another question. What do they do with checked baggage for pax between PDX and CHI since the PDX-SPK leg has no baggage car?

I got mine in the mail yesterday and I must say that there is a lot more info to be had in this edition than there was in the one that I got last year before my very first trip on Amtrak. This edition even includes the floor plans (with room numbers in the sleeper cars!) and sleeper room outlines of all the cars used on their LD trains. The sleeper room numbers are something that can't even be found on Amtrak's own website. I highly recommend this free publication for anyone that may be considering a trip with Amtrak. :cool:

Thank you for the info. I just ordered one using the link you provided. :)

However, the consist appears to be that of the EB:

engine

engine

baggage

trans-dorm

sleeper

sleeper

dining car

coach

coach

sightseer

coach

coach

sleeper

I can't dispute the location (it may or may not be where they say it is) but that certainly is not the CZ consist that I rode last July. Is it possible that they just made a mistake? Or would Amtrak put together a train just for a photo op? That seems unlikely to me...

The other pic that strikes me as funny is the truncated version of the EB (PDX-SPK) with only 4 cars. Which brings up another question. What do they do with checked baggage for pax between PDX and CHI since the PDX-SPK leg has no baggage car?
Thanks! I just ordered a couple of publications too! :lol:

Hi,

You're right on the consist...this is a ''text book '' E B consist.

Cheers

You can order your copy here:http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...1/1237405732517

Years ago, while growing up in Michigan, I picked up an Amtrak brochure that had a GG1 on the front cover, but no pantograph or overhead cat........I actually took the time to write Amtrak's Marketing department about it, (what did this dumb Midwestern kid know?) and they ACTUALLY took the time to answer........Basically said, ".....They take liberty with (at the time, B4 PC's) air-brushing out elements of the pictures to make them 'more attractive'............"

For the general public, I really don't think it matters what the consist is/where the photo is, as long as the train in on time, clean, comfortable, and the staff is pleasant.

This edition even includes the floor plans (with room numbers in the sleeper cars!) and sleeper room outlines of all the cars used on their LD trains. The sleeper room numbers are something that can't even be found on Amtrak's own website.
Those floor plans have been in the Amtrak Vacations booklets for the past several years. So this makes me wonder if they're going to keep those diagrams in that booklet too, or if they'll only show up in the Amtrak America booklet now.

As for me, I picked up my copy a few weeks ago in Penn Station. :)

This edition even includes the floor plans (with room numbers in the sleeper cars!) and sleeper room outlines of all the cars used on their LD trains. The sleeper room numbers are something that can't even be found on Amtrak's own website.
Those floor plans have been in the Amtrak Vacations booklets for the past several years. So this makes me wonder if they're going to keep those diagrams in that booklet too, or if they'll only show up in the Amtrak America booklet now.

As for me, I picked up my copy a few weeks ago in Penn Station. :)
The floor plans are indeed still in the new Amtrak Vacations booklet, which showed up at the Santa Fe Depot in San Diego last week.

I'm a bit surprised that most people are just finding out about the Amtrak America brochure. It's been at the San Diego station for at least two months. I picked one up shortly before Thanksgiving. You'd think Amtrak would distribute it nationally at the same time??

And while that consist on page 42 is indeed the Empire Builder, the location sure does look like Green River. So I am really confused. Maybe Amtrak has discovered the joys of Photoshop??

I noteced the Amfleet II Lounge Cafe diagram is kinda Diner-Litey but the fridge and crew office are in different places/not listed. Very strange diagram...

One of the two coaches for the PDX-SPK leg of the EB is a coach-baggage. This is how they handle the checked baggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back