Amtrak announces 20th straight month of growth

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

transit54

Conductor
Amtrak announced today that June marked 20th straight months of ridership growth and that it would exceed 30m passengers for the 2011 fiscal year. The announcement is available here and includes a ridership breakdown for June.

There's a number of trains with double digit increases and losses. The Lynchburger was up 37% and the Illini/Suluki up almost 27%. The Regionals were up 9.8% and Acela up 4.1%. On the down side of things, the Empire Builder lost 53.3% of its ridership and the Zeyphr 19.3%. Lincoln service was off 40.9% and the Vermonter was off 18.8%. I believe the former is due to track work and the latter is due to track work and a derailment that caused much of June to be bussed north of Springfield. I expect July and August to be a bloodbath for the Vermonter too, with all but a handful of days in both months experiencing bustitutions. But it will be nice seeing the ridership numbers after all the improvements are done!

If Amtrak could do as well as they did in June with all the difficulties they experienced, imagine what ridership will look like once things settle down and the multitude of track work projects are wrapped up!

Actually, had I dug back a page, I would have discovered this was already being discussed here.

Mods, feel free to lock/delete this. Sorry for the double post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back