Amtrak Assistant Conductor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Working for Amtrak is something I have wanted to do my entire life. My plans after high school was to get on with a railraod, preferably Amtrak. I was lucky enough to get an athletic scholarship which eventually will lead to a degree....(2 weeks). A free education was something I could not pass up. I applied for a position with Amtrak as an assistant conductor. My question is will my degree hurt my chances to get on with Amtrak?

Working for Amtrak is something I have wanted to do my entire life. My plans after high school was to get on with a railraod, preferably Amtrak. I was lucky enough to get an athletic scholarship which eventually will lead to a degree....(2 weeks). A free education was something I could not pass up. I applied for a position with Amtrak as an assistant conductor. My question is will my degree hurt my chances to get on with Amtrak?
Why would it? It means you have more education and are more well-rounded. I would think it helps or if nothing else, doesn't hurt at all.

What is your degree in?

If anything it will help. As long as your not asking for more money then someone that doesn't have a degree it can only help your chance and make you more likely to be hired.

I can only speak of locally. Norfolk Southern in and around my area prefers fresh out of high school individuals or ex-military for conductor positions. Granted, duties are different, but I just thought that I would throw that in. Not to dampen spirits though.

I have been told by people in Norfolk Southern management that recruiters over look people with degrees for the position of conductor and other non-office positions. However, Norfolk Southern being a freight transporter, it most likely differs from what a passenger railroad looks for, or I would sure hope so anyways.

It would make more sense to look for people with degrees, so the reasoning Norfolk Southern has, I don't understand.

Good luck on the job hunt!

Why would it? It means you have more education and are more well-rounded. I would think it helps or if nothing else, doesn't hurt at all.

What is your degree in?
My degree is in Applied Sciences.....which is basically a fancy word for General Studies.....I applied about a week ago and I have a pretty good contact inside of Amtrak....From what I gathered, I shouldnt hear back from them in a couple of weeks. The reason I ask if a degree would hurt me is cause one of my buddies said I may be over quilified....I will just see how it goes....Thanks to all for the reply!

It would make more sense to look for people with degrees, so the reasoning Norfolk Southern has, I don't understand.
Good luck on the job hunt!
People with college degrees sometimes have a "i know better cause I have a degree" attitude. Working in the railroad operations is much different than other types of work. There is a definite hierarchy it seems as far as Conductors/Engineers that have been working on a particular route for a long time etc. It makes sense to me that fresh out of high school or military background applicants would adapt to Railroad life much easier then those with a college degree.

HOWEVER... I still think you have a great chance of getting a job with Amtrak no matter your background... just saying that it does make sense college education could be seen as a bit of a down-side in some positions (something that most people in this country do not seem to grasp).

Well, I'm in the same boat as you. Newly-minted degree that I have absolutely no desire to pursue anything relating to it in Real Life and a desire to work for Amtrak--even if for just a few years (5, not 2) to have some fun (of course I wouldn't tell them I don't intend for it to be a lifelong thing).

I do have one thing that I hope would be an advantage: some experience in train service at another railroad.

So please do keep me apprised of anything you hear about this subject! I certainly do hope my useless degree doesn't hinder me!

Interestingly, a very good portion of people on the Alaska Railroad (probably 25%) have college degrees but choose to work on the railroad. Perhaps it's the lifestyle, the world's best office view, or the $120,000 annual income that the more senior folks can get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back