Amtrak Bilevels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F59 PHI

Service Attendant
On a website( I think it belongs to a Jim Hebner) I saw a photo of what looked like Gallery cars painted in amtrak phaze 3 colors. What was thew duration of their amtrak service, and what lines did they run on?

I would link to the picture, bu thte site is down.

I think they ran through the mid-80's on Hiawatha trains between Chicago and Milwakee. Designed for commuter service, they're were not the suitable for any trip more than two or, at the most, three hours.

Thanks. Do you know their number series, or how many amtrak had? Could they hook up to single level cars, or could they only run in trains of their own kind?

Thanks --F59

F59 PHI said:
Thanks. Do you know their number series, or how many amtrak had? Could they hook up to single level cars, or could they only run in trains of their own kind? Thanks --F59
While I can't answer your first question, I do know that the Gallery Bi-level Cars can be attached to single-level cars.

I think Gallery cars have the same height diaphragms as a single level coach. I could be mistaken, but I believe that's the case.

battalion51 said:
I think Gallery cars have the same height diaphragms as a single level coach. I could be mistaken, but I believe that's the case.
You are correct, the Gallery cars have a mid-level platform at the ends of the cars. This permits passing through to single level cars from bi-level cars.

I've even seen one such train with mixed cars, this past summer at the Windy City RailFest.

Ps. The Long Island RR's new bi-level cars also use the same concept of having a mid-level floor at the ends. One even enters and exits through the mid-level area, as there are no centered low level doors like the gallery cars. The LIRR uses all high-level platforms.

Caltrain has gallery cars which was my first experience with bi-level cars even though the LIRR had them for several years I don't normally ride the branches they operate on. The one thing I noticed about them is that the upper level does not go al the way across the car meaning that each upper level looks like it is a balcony (or gallery) overlooking the center asile, not something I evere experieneced before.

This single level feature is also found on the Bombardier/UTDC Bi-Level design, as well as the new Kawasaki coaches that VRE and MARC are using.

I have even seen both VRE and MBTA run mixed-level trains in passenger service, but did amtrak?. PS... What is the height of a gallery compared to a superliner?

Thanks

F59PHI said:
I have even seen both VRE and MBTA run mixed-level trains in passenger service, but did amtrak?.
Well technically Amtrak always runs mixed level trains. :)

Almost all of Amtrak's Superliner consists have a trans-dorm attached to a baggage car. Yes passengers can't access those areas, but nonetheless Amtrak consistantly runs mixed trains.

I think he was referring to the Gallery car mixed consists, which I don't believe they did. Also in the early years Amtrak did run combined Hi-Level/single level trains (single level for sleepers and Diner).

They had too, Santa Fe never got around to ordering sleepers, since the El Capitan was a coach only train. (Of course there were diners and lounges also).

I think several of the Gallery bi-level cars came from the Chicago & North Western. They were ones that had the doors and hallways between cars at the lower level. CNW even had lounge cars and diners that were made to appear to be bi-level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back