Amtrak budget proposal upsets left and right

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak budget proposal upsets left and right

WASHINGTON -- In a budget otherwise marked by fiscal austerity for everything but defense and security, President Bush had a generous about-face this year in his approach to at least one perennial money-losing program. And it has conservatives and liberals both hopping mad, according to this report by Brian McGuire published by the New York Sun.

Last year, fiscal conservatives praised Mr. Bush for proposing no direct subsidies for Amtrak. The passenger rail service had cost taxpayers more than $29 billion since its formation 36 years ago, and budget watchdogs were clamoring for tough measures. Mr. Bush gave them what they wanted, then turned around and signed a bill authorizing $1.3 billion in subsidies.

This year, Mr. Bush agreed to a subsidy upfront, offering to pay for $900 million of Amtrak's estimated $3.1 billion budget in fiscal 2007. Fiscal conservatives are decrying the offer as an inexcusable reversal from last year and citing it as fresh evidence the president is not serious about fiscal restraint.

UTU web site

According to his budget, he is being very restrained; he will cut out federal education aid, and cut medicare and medicade for the poor and elderly. We will have a strong defense against terrorism though. We may be the dumbest, hungryest, sickest, poorest nation in the industrial world, but by George, we will be safe. We can suffer with security.

Midland Valley said:
We may be the dumbest, hungryest, sickest, poorest nation in the industrial world, but by George, we will be safe. We can suffer with security.
Haha, thats was well said!

Good article that seemed to be neutral on the matter.

My comments: $29 billion over 36 years seems like pennies to me, with W wanting what?....$300 billion more for Iraq, or something like that?

Amtrak as pork?? Don't you love how they treat it like that. Is Amtrak just something to keep us railfans happy? I guess so. You may as well say the interstate highways are pork. But no, they are actually a vital part of our system that everyone uses. Amtrak's obviously not.

Chris

Highway money is the grease in the USA political machine, as are water control projects.

Problem is, the people making these decisions have never seen a real intercity passenger rail system in operation. I would like nothing more than to be tourguide for one of those junkets... only taking them to Germany, and showing the buffoons how it's supposed to work. <_<

(ever notice how the HSR junkets go anywhere but there?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back