Amtrak Bus nearly falls off bridge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow, my in-laws used that bus last summer! They weren't too happy with their Amtrak trip anyway (getting caught in hurricanes will do that!). This will really send them over the edge.

If you've never driven that bridge you have no idea how steep that thing is. When you start on the upgrade all you can see is sky. It feels like a 45 degree angle when you go up it.

And I thought the Tobin Bridge in Boston was bad! At least the Tobin compensates the hight with long roadways and a gentler downgrade on both ends- that bridge looks like it shoots you right up and drops you down just as fast :eek:

It looks like they were lucky they didn't go right over when the bus first hit, there doesn't look to be too much seperating the roadway from a steep drop into the bay at all.

I haven't been on the Skyway in a few years but it is long, and steep. However, the old one (the one the ship hit) was worse especially when it was windy. Does make you think though especially when most of my trips include a thruway, might have to pay more attention to what's going on that normal.

I actually saw this on Fox News today. However they reported that it was a Airline transfer bus when the story broke. But I thought it looked like Amtraks logo on the side. It was video taken from overhead so it was kind of hard to make out if it was Amtrak or not at that time. I guess the driver had a heartattack.

socalsteve said:
Holy cow, my in-laws used that bus last summer! They weren't too happy with their Amtrak trip anyway (getting caught in hurricanes will do that!). This will really send them over the edge.
"Over the edge"?

Interesting choice of words for this thread.

amtrakmichigan said:
I actually saw this on Fox News today. However they reported that it was a Airline transfer bus when the story broke. But I thought it looked like Amtraks logo on the side. It was video taken from overhead so it was kind of hard to make out if it was Amtrak or not at that time. I guess the driver had a heartattack.
It was definitely an Amtrak Thruway bus operated by Martz, and the driver did die of a heart attack.

Allen Dee said:
amtrakmichigan said:
It was definitely an Amtrak Thruway bus operated by Martz, and the driver did die of a heart attack.
From the looks of the video feed we got up here in Boston "Amtrak Thruway" or "Amtrak" and the company's name were printed on the bus right next to the door.

Is it common for major contract carriers like the one who operated that thruway bus to have "Amtrak" printed on the buses?

Back