Amtrak Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Business Class on the Pennsylvanian:
Hello,
in early April I plan to travel from Cleveland to Philly and hopefully I won’t be delayed so I’ll be able to make the connection in Pittsburgh. Whenever BC is available I usually opt for it (wish they’d bring it back on the LSL!) because I like the seating as well as the relative calm of the car as opposed to swarms of people in Coach, and the price difference isn’t too bad. But the other day, I saw a short youtube clip comparing BC and Coach on this line and the reviewer had measured space between the seats and found there was actually more room in Coach. Plus, there is no 2x1 seating in Business, nor is there a divider between the seats, which would be an enticement for me.
Have any of you rode Business on this train, and if so, did you find a difference? The deal breaker for me would be a more low key type of passenger. I don’t care about a free beverage.

Hello,
in early April I plan to travel from Cleveland to Philly and hopefully I won’t be delayed so I’ll be able to make the connection in Pittsburgh. Whenever BC is available I usually opt for it (wish they’d bring it back on the LSL!) because I like the seating as well as the relative calm of the car as opposed to swarms of people in Coach, and the price difference isn’t too bad. But the other day, I saw a short youtube clip comparing BC and Coach on this line and the reviewer had measured space between the seats and found there was actually more room in Coach. Plus, there is no 2x1 seating in Business, nor is there a divider between the seats, which would be an enticement for me.
Have any of you rode Business on this train, and if so, did you find a difference? The deal breaker for me would be a more low key type of passenger. I don’t care about a free beverage.
It's true that the Amfleet 2 cars used in Pennsylvanian coach are more or less equivalent to the Amfleet 1 business class cars. But be aware that the Pennsylvanian also has at least one Amfleet 1 coach, which does not have as much legroom. I presume you will be boarding at Pittsburgh, so you will probably be able to find seating in the Amfleet 2 coaches, but you never know. This trainset is similar to that of the Palmetto, and I have usually paid for business class on the Palmetto because the car never fills up, and the passengers tend to be more sedate than in coach. And you do get your free Coke or coffee.

Hello,
Hi, "Mermaid"...you might want to check out the long thread at Pennsylvanian (Coach vs Business Class)?. Personally I don't often take that train but when I do, I spring for business class for the extra quiet.

Thanks to all who have responded with such useful information. A more sedate, less crowded atmosphere is what I’m looking for so i think a few extra dollars for BC is what I’ll go for. I also hadn’t realized there was a longer thread on this topic which I will check out —- thanks, Trollopian!

I like the 2 + 1 seating of the old BC / Cafe cars and the Talgos - those are the only BC service I think is worth it on Amtrak unless you feel like you are paying to be with better clientele which is always a roll of the dice on transit.

One? Are you sure?
On Michigan and Illinois service that has certainly been the case for me over the years.
On the NEC that I experienced two years ago, you get ONE, and that is like applying for a car loan at the cafe counter to get that.
You're telling me... one of the Michigan LSA's is like the Soup man from seinfeld. I was scolded for ordering my free drink wrong and then I had to sign that I ordered and received my free drink and THEN he scolded me for putting the cap back on his pen "I still need to write with that you know!" - can't make it up. haha.

On the NEC, I prefer the Quiet car which costs nothing over business class. I also noticed they shut off the overhead lights in the luggage racks in such cars. Nothing irritates me more than incessant cellphone yacking.
Agree with you 1000%. When I lived in the Northeast, I took this train quite a bit and always opted for the Quiet Car when available. I wish more train lines had it.

Hey all! Is there any way to find an nyc to DC train that has a two and one business class layout? In other words I’m trying to find a way to ride to DC without anyone sitting next to me. Any help would be appreciated.

On the NEC, I prefer the Quiet car which costs nothing over business class. I also noticed they shut off the overhead lights in the luggage racks in such cars. Nothing irritates me more than incessant cellphone yacking.
The last time I took BC from Pittsburgh to Newark it was both full and loud with the woman behind me conducting business over the phone the entire trip.

Back