Amtrak California extension to Reno possible?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homersimpson101

Train Attendant
Does anybody know if Amtrak California will be extended beyond Auburn and into Reno? And if it was possible, could they run trains at 79mph through the mountains?

Does anybody know if Amtrak California will be extended beyond Auburn and into Reno? And if it was possible, could they run trains at 79mph through the mountains?
I don't have knowlege of those speed limits, but my last trip aboard the Zephyr gives me the inclination of a definite and resounding no - 79mph speeds are not possible along that route, assuming that's the route that Amtrak Cali would use.

They used to run a “Thruway” bus from Sacramento to Reno…not sure if they still do…🤔

Last edited:
could they run trains at 79mph through the mountains?
Even if the maximum allowed track speed is 79 mph, the answer to that is a resounding NO!!!
The curves do not permit it. Find an employee timetable of any recent, as in the last 40 years, vintage and look at the speed restrictions due to curvature. Some people seem to be of the impression that to simply raise the speed limit is all it takes. That is not reality, particularly in hilly to mountainous areas. Usually multiple realignments are required, plus added grade separations, crossing protections, and on and on. As to the report referenced, I will probably not even read it. This idea has been around before, and reports of this nature usually are rehashes.

As to the report referenced, I will probably not even read it. This idea has been around before, and reports of this nature usually are rehashes.
This report looks at station changes, layover facilities ect. it doesn't address possible capacity issues which will be really fun to deal with given a large single track tunnel near the top.

Back