Amtrak California Rail Pass experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an Amtrak California Rail Pass last month and found it to be an economical and enjoyable way to travel around the state. Basically it's $159 and you can travel as much as you like for any 7 days within a three week period. More about how it works and my experience here:https://greenstarsproject.org/2017/08/02/amtrak-california-rail-pass-logistics-experience/

Has anyone else here tried it?
I have never done it, but it looks like a good deal. Especially now knowing that it includes the California section of the Coast Starlight, I plan on doing this in the future at some point. Although California is currently the only state with such a pass, Florida had one in the past. I wish other states would follow in California's footsteps and introduce a pass of their own. Although most states do not have a large enough rail network, it could work in a few such as New York, Illinois, and Virginia.

I looked up the CA Rail Pass once online, when I was bored and saw it (along with the 15, 30, and 45 day USA Rail Passes) mentioned in the 2016 Amtrak national timetable. Sad those are no longer printed btw, since it was a great way to encourage those less into Amtrak to cosnider such a trip.

That aside, am I right the CA Rail Pass covers Amtrak Thruway buses as far east as Las Vegas and Reno, but that it doesn't cover those riding the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, or Sunset Limited? That part is sad if I'm correct on that, but otherwise it seems like a great deal for those living in CA.

No clue why other states don't have some sort of statewide rail pass, which have multiple state supported corridors. I.e. Virginia, Michigan, Illinois, New York, etc. As it is, I'm worried the Rockford/Dubuque and Quad Cities trains will never get off the ground, and that I'll believe those will happen when I hear an article that they've entered service.

California should do a German style rail pass, where it includes all local transit services as well. Now, under that arrangement, they might have to exclude the CS, being it's not a state service.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Back