Amtrak Cancelled between SEA and PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Service Attendant
Amtrak has cancelled service between Seattle and Portland due to mudslides and flooding. In effect till at least Saturday morning.

Just needs to be over by Monday! I am on the CS from LA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak has cancelled service between Seattle and Portland due to mudslides and flooding. In effective till at least Saturday morning.
Good grief, the Pacific Northwest just can't catch any breaks this season! :(

Boy it's just been one thing after the other out here. Makes you wonder what will happen if we get a similar bout of snow and rain during the Olympics next winter. The transportation disruptions have been no joke.

Amtrak has cancelled service between Seattle and Portland due to mudslides and flooding. In effect till at least Saturday morning.

They also cancelled the EB from Spokane to Seattle tonight. Looks like the CS is still running south of PDX so far according to the Amtrak site. Here is the story.

Amtrak cancels service between Portland, Seattle

Amtrak has suspended train service between Portland and Seattle due to mudslides. Amtrak says there will be no train service between Seattle...

By The Associated Press

Amtrak has suspended train service between Portland and Seattle due to mudslides.

Amtrak says there will be no train service between Seattle and Portland from Thursday through Saturday.

Amtrak has also cancelled service between Spokane and Seattle tonight.

Train service north of Seattle is suspended, with alternate transportation available.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Train service north of Seattle is suspended, with alternate transportation available."

Really, here we go again! Thanks for posting that, that's the first I've heard. Glad I don't have tickets at the moment. Man what a mess.

The word today is the I-5 won't reopen until Monday. I would plan on a delay in Portland. http://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/

There are no north south routes available between Seattle and Portland, or east west routes from Western WA to Spokane at this time.

Centrailia tracks I heard have been flooded out.

Once the waters go down, they're gonna have to check for track damage.

Why can't I picture where Bull Frog Jct is? Someone describe it and call me an idiot...

Does the entire trainset decide to go to Portland or leave the split consist that was designated to Seattle stayed at Spokane?
The Portland Section of the Builder has been cancelled over the next few days as well. I was scheduled on the EB #28 out of Portland tomorrow and received a call from Amtrak today that it had been cancelled. I went to the station to speak with an agent and was rerouted through to Chicago via the southbound Coast Starlight (currently terminating in Portland) and the eastbound California Zephyr.

we are to be on the eb spk-pdx on the early morning (2:45 am) of the 13th. amtrak will sell tickets for that train on their website but they will also sell tickets for the cascades from sea-pdx tomorrow evening (which i doubt will be running). they list the eb spk-pdx for tonight and tomorrow as "train sold out" when those trains aren't even running. why won't they give passengers their best information? why do i have to wait until monday for a call that my train at 2:45 am tuesday is cancelled and i can do what i want with hotel reservations at our destination? are they trying to save a few bucks as they tried to last year with their coast starlight tricks after the mudslide in oregon? i almost feel amtrak wants to abandon its ld routes and is giving purposefully poor service as the old freight/passenger railroads did when they wanted to drive away customers to "justify" abandoning a line.

we are to be on the eb spk-pdx on the early morning (2:45 am) of the 13th. amtrak will sell tickets for that train on their website but they will also sell tickets for the cascades from sea-pdx tomorrow evening (which i doubt will be running). they list the eb spk-pdx for tonight and tomorrow as "train sold out" when those trains aren't even running. why won't they give passengers their best information? why do i have to wait until monday for a call that my train at 2:45 am tuesday is cancelled and i can do what i want with hotel reservations at our destination? are they trying to save a few bucks as they tried to last year with their coast starlight tricks after the mudslide in oregon? i almost feel amtrak wants to abandon its ld routes and is giving purposefully poor service as the old freight/passenger railroads did when they wanted to drive away customers to "justify" abandoning a line.
All BNSF lines are now open as of 5:00 pm PT today (Friday), with the exception of Stampede Pass (major washout) and the branch to Sumas. The EB uses Stevens Pass so the washout will not affect it. Cascades service will be running tomorrow.

http://domino.bnsf.com/website/updates.nsf...3A001A8E9D?Open

Per Amtrak news release, EB #7 service will resume tomorrow out of Chicago and #8 service will resume on Sunday. I think there is still a consist in SEA/PDX which will become the Sunday train, since #7(10) will not arrive until Monday. Your train on the 13th should be running.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1178294255766

In any case, let's hope Amtrak used their downtime to fix/clean/overhaul the EB consists so they are more reliable than they have been of late.

Not to make light of the bad situation on the west coast, but the situation is fluid. Amtrak simply doesn't know what's going to happen, in large part because they are reliant on BNSF to let them know when they can expect to get a train across the road. Amtrak's not trying to pull a fast one, they are trying their best to service as many passengers as they can, hence renting two planes to get people out of Seattle.

I agree that how they handled the CS last year was very poor, especially in terms of not running some kind of service with a bus bridge. But that's not the case here. And in fact if you remember, Amtrak actually did run the CS for almost a week with a bus bridge, until they realized the gravity of the Frazier slide.

And of course as now reported, the train will indeed be running for you anyhow, assuming no other weather events.

Not to make light of the bad situation on the west coast, but the situation is fluid. Amtrak simply doesn't know what's going to happen, in large part because they are reliant on BNSF to let them know when they can expect to get a train across the road. Amtrak's not trying to pull a fast one, they are trying their best to service as many passengers as they can, hence renting two planes to get people out of Seattle.

I agree that how they handled the CS last year was very poor, especially in terms of not running some kind of service with a bus bridge. But that's not the case here. And in fact if you remember, Amtrak actually did run the CS for almost a week with a bus bridge, until they realized the gravity of the Frazier slide.

And of course as now reported, the train will indeed be running for you anyhow, assuming no other weather events.
I am glad to see that there were no major track washouts. I have an EB westbound connecting to CS south trip down and and back in mid February and I was fearful there would be a repeat of the long term 2008 service interuption. Because the EB has been so late this winter, I moved my outbound train 27 up one day and will overnight in Portland and connect with CS the next day, to avoid a possible misconnection. Takes the stress out of the trip plus I can see friends in Portland during the overnight stopover. I will cross my fingers on weather for the next 30 days. All of this on the heels on a cancelled eastbound EB trip to Chicago on 12/21, which blew up my vacation plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back