Amtrak Cancels Auto Train on Tues & Wed.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Amtrak announced that it has canceled north and southbound Auto Trains for Tuesday and Wednesday.
According to a press release issued by Amtrak media relations manager Tracy Cornell, the cancellations were made so the company can assess a mechanical problem with some of the trains’ auto carriers.
The full, but short, story from Orlando Channel 2 WESH.com.

Amtrak announced that it has canceled north and southbound Auto Trains for Tuesday and Wednesday.
According to a press release issued by Amtrak media relations manager Tracy Cornell, the cancellations were made so the company can assess a mechanical problem with some of the trains’ auto carriers.

I am taking the AutoTrain in two weeks so I supposed the cracks will be repaired by them. What concerns me is if a passenger scheduled for today looks at Amtrak's web pages to see the status there's no mention of the cancellation at all. Not even the alerts or news releases pages have anything about it.

I am taking the AutoTrain in two weeks so I supposed the cracks will be repaired by them. What concerns me is if a passenger scheduled for today looks at Amtrak's web pages to see the status there's no mention of the cancellation at all. Not even the alerts or news releases pages have anything about it.

Well I'm pretty sure if you have a paid reservation and it gets canceled or switched Amtrak does in fact call you and let's you know so assuming the do this the people schduled on those 2 days would have recived calls from Amtrak telling them there train is canceled.

Well I'm pretty sure if you have a paid reservation and it gets canceled or switched Amtrak does in fact call you and let's you know so assuming the do this the people schduled on those 2 days would have recived calls from Amtrak telling them there train is canceled.
Yes, they are pretty good about calling. But the problem is that most people provide their home number, so if you're on your way home and don't happen to check your messages, you probably won't know about the cancellation until you show up at the station.

And Amtrak is notorious for not posting service updates and cancellations like this on their website. Many times on the NEC one learns of problems on the corridor not from Amtrak, but from one of the commuter operations that was also affected by the problem. This is one area where Amtrak has routinely been dropping the ball for years, and frankly there is no excuse for it. A service update notice can be created and posted on the website in probably less than 15 minutes. It's just not that hard to do it.

Who built those things?
Freightcar America in Johnstown, PA.

Help

My brother -in-law is taking his in laws from Toronto to Lorton on this Sunday(staying overnight) to catch the auto train on Monday. As I do not know if the 800(Amtrak) or 877(Auto train direct) numbers work from Canada, is there a direct telephone number to Lorton that I could advise hiim so he can keep in touch with Amtrak and the situation. Since they did not post anything going on- line , it wont help unless he goes into departure/arrival to see if AT ran. Any help would be appreciated. It would be a long drive if for nothing! Thanks

My brother -in-law is taking his in laws from Toronto to Lorton on this Sunday(staying overnight) to catch the auto train on Monday. As I do not know if the 800(Amtrak) or 877(Auto train direct) numbers work from Canada, is there a direct telephone number to Lorton that I could advise hiim so he can keep in touch with Amtrak and the situation. Since they did not post anything going on- line , it wont help unless he goes into departure/arrival to see if AT ran. Any help would be appreciated. It would be a long drive if for nothing! Thanks
Both British Columbia Adventures, pitching Cascades travel to Vancouverites here, and VIA Rail, providing contact numbers "for information on Amtrak trains from Canada" pitched to Canadians here, say 800-USA-RAIL works from both the USA and Canada. So I think your brother-in-law will be able to call that number from home, and it's fairly easy to get Julie to hand you over to a human who could answer questions about the Auto Train's situation.

(Interesting--I had assumed until your question that all 800 numbers worked from both the USA and Canada, but this is not the case. And it's as you say, confusing since some do and some don't and hard to tell which do or don't! How annoying.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Both British Columbia Adventures, pitching Cascades travel to Vancouverites here, and VIA Rail, providing contact numbers "for information on Amtrak trains from Canada" pitched to Canadians here, say 800-USA-RAIL works from both the USA and Canada. So I think your brother-in-law will be able to call that number from home, and it's fairly easy to get Julie to hand you over to a human who could answer questions about the Auto Train's situation.

(Interesting--I had assumed until your question that all 800 numbers worked from both the USA and Canada, but this is not the case. And it's as you say, confusing since some do and some don't and hard to tell which do or don't! How annoying.)
Actually, I said I did not know if it does or not. I live outside Washington. It's my brother in law who lives in Canada so I can't test it. It sounds to me like this is a problem that will be around for awhile.

From the Orlando Sentinel, 11/19/08:

It will be at least Friday before Amtrak resumes operation of its popular Auto Train between Sanford and Lorton, Va.
The full story is HERE.

Reservations are now blocked through Sunday 11/23.

Actually, I said I did not know if it does or not. I live outside Washington. It's my brother in law who lives in Canada so I can't test it. It sounds to me like this is a problem that will be around for awhile.
800-USA-RAIL does work from Canada, as per the VIA and BCAdventures websites. You can tell your brother-in-law that the number will work.

After the late-day decision to cancel the train yesterday, Amtrak personnel offered Auto Train passengers the option of remaining on the trains they had boarded for meal service and use of the accommodations they had reserved, without charge. Full ticket refunds were also offered. Amtrak also provided hotel vouchers to those passengers who chose to rest over night before driving their cars to their destinations.

After the late-day decision to cancel the train yesterday, Amtrak personnel offered Auto Train passengers the option of remaining on the trains they had boarded for meal service and use of the accommodations they had reserved, without charge. Full ticket refunds were also offered. Amtrak also provided hotel vouchers to those passengers who chose to rest over night before driving their cars to their destinations.
It is still quite a mess for someone who travels on the Auto Train specifically to avoid driving those 855 scenic, relaxing miles on I-95. At 60mph that's about 14 hours of driving. At least you could stop off and see Pedro at South of the Border (is that still there?). It's unavoidable on Amtrak's part, but a mess none the less.

So, what is Amtrak saying about this serious problem with their most popular and successful long distance train? This is from the Amtrak "Service Alerts and Notices" web page as of 8:00pm EST 11/19:

Nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is still quite a mess for someone who travels on the Auto Train specifically to avoid driving those 855 scenic, relaxing miles on I-95. At 60mph that's about 14 hours of driving. At least you could stop off and see Pedro at South of the Border (is that still there?). It's unavoidable on Amtrak's part, but a mess none the less.
Yes, South of the Border is still there. Not sure about Pedro though.

So, what is Amtrak saying about this serious problem with their most popular and successful long distance train? This is from the Amtrak "Service Alerts and Notices" web page as of 8:00pm EST 11/19:Nothing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The car carriers are two years old and already have cracks? What gives? Does Amtrak have any recourse?

Is there a 3 year, 750,000 mile warranty? :p

The car carriers are two years old and already have cracks? What gives? Does Amtrak have any recourse?
Is there a 3 year, 750,000 mile warranty? :p
That's about the same time that Acela first had problems, so at least they're consistant. :lol:

So, what is Amtrak saying about this serious problem with their most popular and successful long distance train? This is from the Amtrak "Service Alerts and Notices" web page as of 8:00pm EST 11/19:

Nothing.
Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems Amtrak never wants to put disruptions up on its site about things that are "their problem." If it's a mudslide in Oregon or CSX trackwork, they'll be all over that, even put the link right on the main page. If it's something that's their responsibility . . . <crickets chirping>

February of 2006, Amtrak had to cancel a bunch of eastern trains when FRA sidelined a bunch of equipment. Their method of canceling them, day after day? Wait until 24 hours out, suddenly remove the train from the system and "make the calls," AFTER many people had lost hundreds of dollars in hotel and other reserved costs! I only saved mine due to being warned through boards like this one. You could argue that they were toiling away on the equipment all that time, hoping to have it running in time . . . I'm very skeptical, as I understand much of it was towed down to the Florida shops. They were cancelled this way for many, many days.

Not one mention on the website was ever made.

February of 2006, Amtrak had to cancel a bunch of eastern trains when FRA sidelined a bunch of equipment. Their method of canceling them, day after day? Wait until 24 hours out, suddenly remove the train from the system and "make the calls," AFTER many people had lost hundreds of dollars in hotel and other reserved costs! I only saved mine due to being warned through boards like this one. You could argue that they were toiling away on the equipment all that time, hoping to have it running in time . . . I'm very skeptical, as I understand much of it was towed down to the Florida shops. They were cancelled this way for many, many days.
Not one mention on the website was ever made.
So what are the chances that the train will be up and running by 11/28? I booked my parents and son on that train and am really hoping that they don't have to drive all the way from NJ!

Hmm, it seems some sort of manufacturing process has gone awry. Perhaps they need to work this flaw out before they buy "New Sleepers"

Hmm, it seems some sort of manufacturing process has gone awry. Perhaps they need to work this flaw out before they buy "New Sleepers"
There was a NY Times article the other day about how the Port of Los Angeles is overrun by foreign cars just sitting in giant parking lots (and how Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are paying a fortune for said lots) because there's no market for them in America now. Maybe Amtrak could buy them, and build some new autoracks, and the new sleeper fleet could consist of autoracks of unsold cars with reclining seats. The cars never leave the autoracks; people just board and deboard at each regular station stop with the assistance of freight handlers and ladders. You could choose whether you want a "roomette" (economy), "bedroom" (full-size), or "deluxe bedroom" (mini-van). Meals would be provided by ... um ... well, you've got me there. Sandwiches stuffed in the glove box, I guess.

Well, it's a thought. I didn't say it was a good thought! :lol:

There was a NY Times article the other day about how the Port of Los Angeles is overrun by foreign cars just sitting in giant parking lots (and how Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are paying a fortune for said lots) because there's no market for them in America now. Maybe Amtrak could buy them, and build some new autoracks, and the new sleeper fleet could consist of autoracks of unsold cars with reclining seats. The cars never leave the autoracks; people just board and deboard at each regular station stop with the assistance of freight handlers and ladders. You could choose whether you want a "roomette" (economy), "bedroom" (full-size), or "deluxe bedroom" (mini-van). Meals would be provided by ... um ... well, you've got me there. Sandwiches stuffed in the glove box, I guess.

Well, it's a thought. I didn't say it was a good thought! :lol:
You're one weird puppy.... but I loved it! Kind of like me! Anyway, now you got to get thinking how they can add trailers on passenger airplanes to increase the number of people they can carry on a single flight! :wacko:

You're one weird puppy.... but I loved it! Kind of like me! Anyway, now you got to get thinking how they can add trailers on passenger airplanes to increase the number of people they can carry on a single flight! :wacko:
Not exactly what you're looking for, but...

kitfly.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back