Amtrak Capitol Limited Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wifey and myself have booked our first trip aboard the Capitol Limited to Chicago this June. As is customary with us we booked a bedroom and we got the E unit going both ways. This is the Superliner bedroom by the stairs and its a good location. Its in the middle of the sleeper and I believe thats the smoothest point.

Our last trip was on the AutoTrain (June 2009) and we were in the next to last sleeping car so you could not hear the sound of the horn going off. We were wondering where the sleeper cars are located on this train. From my research the Capitol is only an 8 car consist so we hope to be in the rear of the train if possible. We decided to pick up the Capitol along the way in Pittsburg so we could do some sightseeing in that area (like Falling Waters, Pittsburg Science Museum etc). In summation here are the questions:

1. Sleeping car location as above

2. Do they serve a hot breakfast? Whats on the menu? (On the AutoTrain all we got was juice, milk , cold cereal, bagels, muffins and coffee)

3. What time is breakfast served? (at Central time we presume)

4. Does Pittsburgh Union Station has a first class lounge?

5. The Pittsburgh Parking authority has a large overnight parking facility, just down the street. The parking fees are reasonbale but is it safe?

6. Any good places to eat in Pittsburg. We dine on all cuisines.

1. Depending on which car you are in, you will have 3 cars and a locomotive between you and the horn on the lead locomotive (in the 2900 car) or 2 cars and a locomotive between you and the horn (in the 2901 car). The sleepers are towards the front of the train, with the diner, lounge, and coaches following.

2. Yes. Amtrak Menus Click on the "All Other Dining Cars" tab for the Capitol Limited menu.

3. Breakfast should start around 6:30 ET.

4. No.

I'll let someone more familiar with Pittsburgh answer 5 and 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Depending on which car you are in, you will have 3 cars and a locomotive between you and the horn on the lead locomotive (in the 2900 car) or 2 cars and a locomotive between you and the horn (in the 2901 car). The sleepers are towards the front of the train, with the diner, lounge, and coaches following.2. Yes. Amtrak Menus Click on the "All Other Dining Cars" tab for the Capitol Limited menu.

3. Breakfast should start around 6:30 ET.

4. No.

I'll let someone more familiar with Pittsburgh answer 5 and 6.
I was in the 2900 car (closest to the diner) going westbound last week. The horn noise was noticeable. I don't mind that much but my breakfast partner, a first time long distance rider, found it bothersome.

The Cap still has a cross country diner but I found it quite suitable. I ordered the marinated (garlic) flat iron steak and it was very good, large too. The CCC was not crowded and the service was fast.

I found the track to be smooth and the ride quiet, I was in roomette 2 which is also in the center of the car.

First call for breakfast was at 6:00 which is when I ate. No reservations are needed for breakfast and you can just walk in. I was seated with one other person but the car was, again, mostly empty. Service again was fast.

If the horn is a problem, try some earplugs, they really help.

By my 2nd x-country trip I was pretty immune to the horn. Probably something to do with spending the first 6 years of my life next to the SP tracks in the East Bay of SF! :lol:

By my 2nd x-country trip I was pretty immune to the horn. Probably something to do with spending the first 6 years of my life next to the SP tracks in the East Bay of SF! :lol:
I also love the sound of the horn. My breakfast partner mentioned that she had some "white noise" on her i-pod and would try that to block the horn noise. The sights, sounds, smells are all part of the long distance travel experience!!

I did notice brief spells of diesel fumes and brake shoe smell on both my trip on the Cap and the Cardinal.

I also love the sound of the horn. My breakfast partner mentioned that she had some "white noise" on her i-pod and would try that to block the horn noise. The sights, sounds, smells are all part of the long distance travel experience!!

I did notice brief spells of diesel fumes and brake shoe smell on both my trip on the Cap and the Cardinal.
I'll be riding the CL July/August CHI/WAS. I was last on it 2 years ago. Pleasant trip. Looking forward to it. We'll be in bedroom E on the way to DC and roomette 2 on the way back, next to the diner both ways.

Looked at our reservations. We are in bedroom E in the 2900 car. I guess that the horn sound is what it is. We just wonder why sleeper passengers who are considered first class passengers are located closer to the locomotive than coach passengers are. You pay dearly for the upgrade and you would think that Amtrak would give you the quieter location?

Regardless we are set to go to Chicago in early June and are sure to enjoy the comfort and privacy that the trip will allow. We would like to extend our sincerest thanks to those that answered our questions and hope we meet a couple of forum members on Junes 9th trip. If anyone else has any additional info about the Capitol please feel free to chime in.

Looked at our reservations. We are in bedroom E in the 2900 car. I guess that the horn sound is what it is. We just wonder why sleeper passengers who are considered first class passengers are located closer to the locomotive than coach passengers are. You pay dearly for the upgrade and you would think that Amtrak would give you the quieter location?Regardless we are set to go to Chicago in early June and are sure to enjoy the comfort and privacy that the trip will allow. We would like to extend our sincerest thanks to those that answered our questions and hope we meet a couple of forum members on Junes 9th trip. If anyone else has any additional info about the Capitol please feel free to chime in.
Well there are several reasons why Amtrak does this but consider this... You will be in the smoothest section of the train. The rear of the train is much rougher than the front/middle of the train, so you do get the more comfortable ride.

Also... this is a side-note. Sleeper Passengers are no longer considered "First Class" they are only considered "Sleeper Class." The only "First Class" Service currently offered by Amtrak is on the Acela trains.

Looked at our reservations. We are in bedroom E in the 2900 car. I guess that the horn sound is what it is. We just wonder why sleeper passengers who are considered first class passengers are located closer to the locomotive than coach passengers are. You pay dearly for the upgrade and you would think that Amtrak would give you the quieter location?Regardless we are set to go to Chicago in early June and are sure to enjoy the comfort and privacy that the trip will allow. We would like to extend our sincerest thanks to those that answered our questions and hope we meet a couple of forum members on Junes 9th trip. If anyone else has any additional info about the Capitol please feel free to chime in.
Well there are several reasons why Amtrak does this but consider this... You will be in the smoothest section of the train. The rear of the train is much rougher than the front/middle of the train, so you do get the more comfortable ride.

Also... this is a side-note. Sleeper Passengers are no longer considered "First Class" they are only considered "Sleeper Class." The only "First Class" Service currently offered by Amtrak is on the Acela trains.
However sleeper pax are considered first-class and have access to all first-class lounges in the system, receive first-class bonus points on certain AGR promotions and are generally treated with a higher service standard than their coach counterparts.

However sleeper pax are considered first-class and have access to all first-class lounges in the system, receive first-class bonus points on certain AGR promotions and are generally treated with a higher service standard than their coach counterparts.
It is all semantics. Congress got in a tizzy a few years ago about subsidizing "First Class" service, so Amtrak did officially change the name to "Sleeper Class". It doesn't make any real difference, and you have all the access to lounges and amenities that the Acela First Class does. And the signs in a lot of the cars still say "First Class Sleeping Car Passengers Only". The services offered, and access, have not changed a bit. Well, maybe not. IIRC, they stopped having free soft drinks in the car for sleeper pax about that same time. Oh, the humanity!

No... "Sleeping accommodations are considered "Sleeper Service" accommodations aboard Amtrak." -this is from Amtrak's website.

Sleeper passengers receive no "higher service standard" that I am aware of. And I hope that they don't, I think everyone on a train should be treated well.

Well, you do get a higher level of service when you pay for a sleeper starting with the use of the Metro Lounges and CA,

special boarding of the trains,meals in the diner, showers, bed preperation and linens, water,juice and coffee and ice where available in your sleeping car, luggage assistance and whatever else your SCA can assist you with! The coach attendants basically assign seats, pass out pillows and once in a while clean the bathrooms, they have like 50-65 pax to assist, sometimes even work 2 coaches so the service level IS higher in the sleepers!

Regarding the location of sleeping cars at or near the front of the train vs. at the rear, we've had several threads on this. On some services, the sleeping cars are at the rear. IIRC, there are issues, at least with the Viewliners, with whether the vestibules (i.e., enclosed boarding areas at the ends of the cars) are next to the diners, which may lack their own vestibules, and whether a car has to be pulled "forward" or "backward" to achieve the desired location. I don't know all of the ins and outs of this, however, so I hesitate to say more and speculate, possibly misinforming others on this board about these matters.

Regarding the location of sleeping cars at or near the front of the train vs. at the rear, we've had several threads on this. On some services, the sleeping cars are at the rear. IIRC, there are issues, at least with the Viewliners, with whether the vestibules (i.e., enclosed boarding areas at the ends of the cars) are next to the diners, which may lack their own vestibules, and whether a car has to be pulled "forward" or "backward" to achieve the desired location. I don't know all of the ins and outs of this, however, so I hesitate to say more and speculate, possibly misinforming others on this board about these matters.
Yes... AFAIK the viewliner cars are now postioned on the back of single level trains in normal use. The concern was that in an emergency people may not be able to exit the train as quickly or as safely since there is no vestibule on the "A" end of the viewliner cars. What is kind of ironic is that there is no vestibule exit in between cars at all on the superliners, you have to go through a narrow stairway to get to the main entrance exit doors in an emergency. I tried to make this make sense but I don't think it did...

. . . What is kind of ironic is that there is no vestibule exit in between cars at all on the superliners, you have to go through a narrow stairway to get to the main entrance exit doors in an emergency. I tried to make this make sense but I don't think it did...
That's an interesting point. You can go from car to car but to get out of the train you have to go down a narrow twisting staircase to the lower level. Hmmmm, another reason to have a lower level room?

Yes... AFAIK the viewliner cars are now postioned on the back of single level trains in normal use. The concern was that in an emergency people may not be able to exit the train as quickly or as safely since there is no vestibule on the "A" end of the viewliner cars. What is kind of ironic is that there is no vestibule exit in between cars at all on the superliners, you have to go through a narrow stairway to get to the main entrance exit doors in an emergency. I tried to make this make sense but I don't think it did...
The issue isn't the Viewliner cars; it's the single level dining cars. The old Heritage dining cars have no exits at all. The FRA mandates at least one normal exit per car, beyond the emergency window exits. The way that Amtrak had things set up before, with the sleepers at the front, people evacuating the dining car would have needed to walk through an entire Viewliner sleeper to reach a door and steps. With the new setup as soon as you step through the diner's threshold and into the Viewliner, the exit is right there.

Sleeper passengers receive no "higher service standard" that I am aware of. And I hope that they don't, I think everyone on a train should be treated well.
If someone pays a higher price for something, shouldn't they be entitled to receive better? You can eat lunch at McDonalds for $6.00 but you won't get the same cuisine paying $25 at a fine white tablecloth restaurant. If you spend more for first class air fare, you will notice a difference in the size of the seat and in the service.

While I do agree that everyone on an Amtrak Train should be treated well, it must be remembered that sleeper class passengers are paying about Triple the coach fare. As such as Jim Hudson has said, you recieve privacy, get better meals, a bedroom/bath (or Roomette), a morning paper, linen service, awake up call and a dedicated sleeping car attendent. Coffee/water/ice is also available 24/7 in the center of the sleeper cars near the stairs.

It may not be called first class anymore but you DO receive first class service.

If someone pays a higher price for something, shouldn't they be entitled to receive better? You can eat lunch at McDonalds for $6.00 but you won't get the same cuisine paying $25 at a fine white tablecloth restaurant. If you spend more for first class air fare, you will notice a difference in the size of the seat and in the service. While I do agree that everyone on an Amtrak Train should be treated well, it must be remembered that sleeper class passengers are paying about Triple the coach fare. As such as Jim Hudson has said, you recieve privacy, get better meals, a bedroom/bath (or Roomette), a morning paper, linen service, awake up call and a dedicated sleeping car attendent. Coffee/water/ice is also available 24/7 in the center of the sleeper cars near the stairs.

It may not be called first class anymore but you DO receive first class service.
Someone paying up to $1300 for a bedroom should receive more service than someone paying $100 coach fare. Goes without saying really. But they should both be treated well.

Then again, anyone paying $1300 for a bedroom should receive free counselling as well.......

The issue isn't the Viewliner cars; it's the single level dining cars. The old Heritage dining cars have no exits at all. The FRA mandates at least one normal exit per car, beyond the emergency window exits. The way that Amtrak had things set up before, with the sleepers at the front, people evacuating the dining car would have needed to walk through an entire Viewliner sleeper to reach a door and steps. With the new setup as soon as you step through the diner's threshold and into the Viewliner, the exit is right there.
I knew I wasn't making that clear... The fact that viewliners do not have vestibules at the "A" end of the car is the reason there was no vestibule in between the diner and the viewliner.

However Alan... your facts don't match up.. if you just need "one normal exit per car" then the viewliner end would not matter since the Amfleet lounge on the opposite side of the diner would have a vestibule. Unless there is some strange stipulation since Heritage cars have no normal exit they must be coupled to vestibules on both sides?

The wifey and myself have booked our first trip aboard the Capitol Limited to Chicago this June. As is customary with us we booked a bedroom and we got the E unit going both ways. This is the Superliner bedroom by the stairs and its a good location. Its in the middle of the sleeper and I believe thats the smoothest point. Our last trip was on the AutoTrain (June 2009) and we were in the next to last sleeping car so you could not hear the sound of the horn going off. We were wondering where the sleeper cars are located on this train. From my research the Capitol is only an 8 car consist so we hope to be in the rear of the train if possible. We decided to pick up the Capitol along the way in Pittsburg so we could do some sightseeing in that area (like Falling Waters, Pittsburg Science Museum etc). In summation here are the questions:

1. Sleeping car location as above

2. Do they serve a hot breakfast? Whats on the menu? (On the AutoTrain all we got was juice, milk , cold cereal, bagels, muffins and coffee)

3. What time is breakfast served? (at Central time we presume)

4. Does Pittsburgh Union Station has a first class lounge?

5. The Pittsburgh Parking authority has a large overnight parking facility, just down the street. The parking fees are reasonbale but is it safe?

6. Any good places to eat in Pittsburg. We dine on all cuisines.
Since nobody took a shot at #5, I will.

The garage is huge, well lit, and new. It is right across the street from the Amtrak station. Easy walk. If I recall correctly. it was $7 per night. I'm not 100% sure of that though.

As for safety, it is a bus station, so there are some not-so-Amtrak looking people hanging around outside the station and the garage that is above it. I arrived at 4:40 in the morning, but did NOT feel unsafe. There were plenty of people around and it would be very unlikely that anything would be attempted with so many around.

Another reason that the Superliner Sleepers are at the forward end of the train is the Transition Sleeper. The Trans-Dorm must be connected to the baggage car for crew access. I also agree that it is a much smoother ride at the front of the train.

However Alan... your facts don't match up.. if you just need "one normal exit per car" then the viewliner end would not matter since the Amfleet lounge on the opposite side of the diner would have a vestibule. Unless there is some strange stipulation since Heritage cars have no normal exit they must be coupled to vestibules on both sides?
I'm not sure just how the regulation is worded, but essentially yes, you must have a vestibule on each side of the dining car. Or another way to think about it is to say that one should never have to walk further than one car length in either direction to find an exit.

As far as restaurants go in Pittsburgh you couldn't go wrong with The Original Fish Market which is a short walk (one block?) from the train station. You could also take a short cab ride (under $4) to one of the Primanti Brothers sandwich shops. The strip district location has been featured on the Food Network a couple of times. They're in opposite directions but equal distance from the station. They're speciality is french fries on the sandwich. I used to live in Pgh. while in school and still feel safe walking around the downtown area. I would not venture far from the station though. There aren't many cabs there when the train arrives bit there are phones on the wall that connect to the different cab companies. I don't think I've ever waited more than five minutes for one to pull up front. The baggage office will hold your bags while your out and they've never charged. Have a great trip!

I'm not sure just how the regulation is worded, but essentially yes, you must have a vestibule on each side of the dining car. Or another way to think about it is to say that one should never have to walk further than one car length in either direction to find an exit.
That makes sense... I wonder if it also has to do with the unique configurations of the interior of sleepers.. for example, are there any emergency exits from within the open area of the cars... i.e. not within private compartments that may be blocked/locked for various reasons? Interesting none the less.

I know I am in the minority here... but I actually like hearing the horn in the middle of the night... it's relaxing to me. Of course... if the car was literally right behind the engine it would be too loud, but when there is a trailing engine, baggage car, and 1-2 sleepers in between it seems like the sound is just about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back