Amtrak careers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know of Wilmington, DE. A conductor on the Vermont Railway told me there is also one in Clifton Park, NY.

Railroad training is not done in a college or university type setting if that is what you mean by school. Once you turn 18 (or if you already are 18) go to the nearest Amtrak Human Resources office and ask if any positions are open. If you are looking in railroad operations many start off as assistant conductors and move their way up to conductor, then locomotive engineer. I beleive there are training courses in which you have to complete a certain amonut of classroom time (8-10 weeks maybe). Training is done at major crew bases like New York, Chicago, etc. Engineers are trained in a series of simulators located in Wilmington. Engineer training is much like becoming a pilot and it requires a lot of concentration and you have to be able to work under pressure. It is not like a car where you jump in and 6 months later you have a licsence. One last thing I will mention is Amtrak seems very much to be about senority. I think many employees (except for service personel) come from other railroads such as commuter and freight operations. You may have better luck starting their then moving your way up. The transportation field is a fun and good paying work enviroment to be in. Without even going to college you can get a $40,000 a year job with great benefits. Keep your eyes open and good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back