Amtrak Cascades Service discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New schedules not yet posted . However, a few observations. Will make connections between trips to / from Vancouver to the EB much easier especially late EBs. Maybe even some of the stations that EB does not stop will make the connection at Everette. Any additional cars on any of the schedules? What equipment was added to the equipment pool? Too bad not done before Thanksgiving?

I also just noticed that on both of those schedules, the POINT stops in Woodburn and Tualatin are missing. I don't know if that will continue to be the case, or if they just are deciding whether to retain those stops.
It would be a shame if Amtrak was to lose the Tualatin Park and Ride, which stands next to Glenwood Springs and West Glacier as one of the most beautiful and historic stops in the system.
Interesting... the schedule they had originally posted on their website had the POINT times. Maybe those weren't set in stone yet.

https://juckins.net/amtrak_timetables/archive/timetables_Cascades_20231211_external.pdf

I also just noticed that on both of those schedules, the POINT stops in Woodburn and Tualatin are missing. I don't know if that will continue to be the case, or if they just are deciding whether to retain those stops.
It would be a shame if Amtrak was to lose the Tualatin Park and Ride, which stands next to Glenwood Springs and West Glacier as one of the most beautiful and historic stops in the system.
These are bus-only stops, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just forgot to include them. The booking system allows you to book tickets to these stops even after the 11th.

Yes, that timetable is produced by Washington, I believe. And there are space issues.

I do imagine that there is a possibility they might be excluding some of those stops---and indeed, with the expiring schedule, there are a few places where it skips a spot or two. (Getting to Eugene was harder for me because one of the morning POINT schedules didn't stop in Albany).
But actually, with more trains, there are less reasons to skip stops, because a bus showing up late for a train connection will have another train coming sooner.

I wish they would report the slide location. I know we've had a lot of rain, but it's frustrating that this is still happening after the states have spent so much on mitigation. It would be good to know where they need to focus efforts next.
One news article said it was about 10 miles north of Vancouver

New new schedules are up, and they include slightly altered bus schedules. There is also a note about "additional stops", referring the viewer to the Oregon POINT website if they really want to go to the Tualatin P&R.

Some one who know the geology needs to point out various locations that may landslide.
My understanding is a lot of the Puget Sound Basin (if that's a correct geological/geographic term) is prone to slides (see below) due to volcanic and glacial soils and high water saturation, however, locating tracks right on the beach below a bluff was not a great idea geologically (kind of like the Illinois Central's original beach right of way - now inland thanks to extensive landfill) - it's like locating in the median of highways (in Chicago, the salt on the roadway negatively affects the CTA routes there, plus unattractive stations).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Oso_mudslide

I noticed that they moved the morning train from Vancouver (517) to 7:15 AM from 6:35 AM. If they had done that last month, I could have had another 45 minutes of sleep!
This also allows anyone along the SkyTrain system to make it to Pacific Central on weekdays, and most of the system to make it on weekends. It was really tight for SkyTrain with the 635am start, particularly on weekends.

Back