Amtrak Coach Safety Concern

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cross body purse stays on my body the entire train trip. Holds my cash, credit cards, and phone. I never take "good" clothes on a train. At least not inside my sleeper compartment. Been train travelling for years and never heard of any problem.

On my last trip in coach on the eastbound Zephyr, I spent most of the time in the lounge instead my seat. I returned to my coach seat just before the train entered Moffat tunnel and found that someone had taken my travel blanket and pillow and my shoes! I made a loud fuss and went to find a conductor after we cleared the tunnel. When I returned with the conductor, we searched the car and found my blanket and pillow about 3 rows back. The women who were sitting there were gone, hiding I guess. I found my shoes under the seat. I guess they thought I had gotten off the train and my things were there for them to take. The conductor made an announcement saying keep your hands off things that don't belong to you!
Please don't confuse safety with security. You were not there when the items were taken so there was no threat to your safety. Security is another matter. I think you did the right thing. Hope you have better experiences in the future.

As a suggestion, we usually look around for someone nearby who "looks" honest and ask that they keep an eye on our things and let people know the seat is occupied. since nearly all people are honest, we believe, we've never had a problem like yours.

Back