Amtrak.com "Train Status" vs. "Track a Train"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I noticed something about Amtrak's website after the update:

The "Train Status" is separate from "Track a Train". In other words, clicking on "Train Status" at the top of the home page will take you to a page where you enter a train number and a station code. Then it will tell you whether that train is early, late or has already arrived at that station.

However, "Track a Train" is near the bottom of the home page and this takes you to the route map. On this page, you enter the train number and it lists possible matches for you. Then you will see a red line indicating the specific route with a circle indicating the train's approximate location. Along with a little pop-up that shows the train number, name, speed, direction and ETA to the next station.

So my question is, why are these two things separate? I can't recall; were they separate on the old site?

Thanks!

The "Train Status" is separate from "Track a Train". In other words, clicking on "Train Status" at the top of the home page will take you to a page where you enter a train number and a station code. Then it will tell you whether that train is early, late or has already arrived at that station.

However, "Track a Train" is near the bottom of the home page and this takes you to the route map. On this page, you enter the train number and it lists possible matches for you. Then you will see a red line indicating the specific route with a circle indicating the train's approximate location. Along with a little pop-up that shows the train number, name, speed, direction and ETA to the next station.

So my question is, why are these two things separate? I can't recall; were they separate on the old site?

Thanks!
I think they've always been separate. Can't remember if the train status was on the front page or you had to hunt for it.

Thanks!
I think they've always been separate. Can't remember if the train status was on the front page or you had to hunt for it.
Ok, gotcha

Track-Your-Train shows you on the map approximately where each train is currently.

Or itlets you check arrival/departure times, in both directions, at a specified station for just a few days past/future.

Just click on the circle that shows the location on the map of the station you want to check.

Train Status shows you 5 days past and 5 days forward for each direction, separately.

In other words, the functionality of each is a bit different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back