Amtrak Conductor Experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seat38a

Engineer
Over the past year, I have run into many conductors. Some where the full uniform with the hat, vest, jacket etc. couple even had what looked like the chain to a pocket watch and some wear the same uniform as the LSA's with just the hat. So far only 1 does not even wear the hat. Its not often that you run into a conductor that wears the full getup but the ones that do seem to be the ones that enjoy their job the most. They are the ones who make the funny announcements including the "All Aboard," and last week, one of these conductors personally thanked everyone for riding the train as he scanned their tickets. Most of the conductors that I have run into have been pleasant, but the ones who dress the "Polar Express" look seem to take more pride in railroading.

My favorite conductor -who I first met when he was a passenger who helped me when I was attempting to climb the stairs on my first train trip - does not wear a hat but it's because of allergies. Most of the conductors I've run in to have a passion for trains and their jobs.

My favorite works on the Lincoln service and the Texas eagle between Chicago and stl. Dawn garner and her colleague Lorna always are pleasant and always take pride in their job.

And for the first time in ages, I met a conductor who did NOT take off his hat as he walked through the dining car on the CZ last month. He didn't seem happy that I pointed out to him his breach of protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Quite some time ago we had a new conductor who came through our diner with his hat on. I mentioned it to him and got a gruff response, but after that he always removed his hat. But he and I never had a really cordial relationship. He wasn't one of our regular Conductors; he filled in when our regulars weren't available.

Tom

I've never noticed whether or not one removed there hat while walking through the diner. I understand etiquette. But if there is a trade off between calling the signals back to the engineer, communication with dispatchers, collecting tickets, and etiquette, I think etiquette is out the door IMHO.

If a conductor is dealing with a train operation issue, and is confronted by a passenger about his hat, I can't imagine that the passenger is going to get a favorable response. In the case of an employee correcting another employee, I'll stay out of that.

As a rail enthusiast, I'm probably more aware of the job challenges if a conductor. I try not to approach the conductor with a concern if I Believe he is doing something related to the safe operation of the train. And I try to limit communication to essential information related to ticketing or safety.

And for the first time in ages, I met a conductor who did NOT take off his hat as he walked through the dining car on the CZ last month. He didn't seem happy that I pointed out to him his breach of protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
You're lucky you didn't get put off at the next grade crossing. Telling people how to do their jobs is never a good idea.

Interrupting the Conductor while he is dealing with important operational matters is definitely inappropriate. The Conductor knows where the signals are, and he probably won't choose to casually walk through the diner when he needs to call back signals or confirm and write down orders dictated by the dispatcher. It probably wouldn't be a good idea for a passenger to challenge the Conductor on this issue. In the case I mentioned, I was an employee with long-established seniority, and he was the new kid on the block, so to speak. I was not rude, and I made sure there were witnesses who would be willing to support my position.

You have to exercise a bit of discretion.

Tom

For the life of me, I can't understand HOW ANYONE could have the Audacity to Question the Conductor of the train!!! How would you, the guy with the base ball cap & the ketchup dripping from your chin, know where & why the Conductor is going! Do you honestly think that the Conductor's 1st priority should be to make sure he has his Friggin Hat On??? Some people amaze me!!!!

GEEZZZZZ!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
For the life of me, I can't understand HOW ANYONE could have the Audacity to Question the Conductor of the train!!! How would you, the guy with the base ball cap & the ketchup dripping from your chin, know where & why the Conductor is going! Do you honestly think that the Conductor's 1st priority should be to make sure he has his Friggin Hat On??? Some people amaze me!!!!

GEEZZZZZ!!!!
Cool your jets and read the precious post. The person reminding him of the protocol was an employee, but I think it was still a bit obnoxious to do this in the dining car, rather then in private! No one likes to be criticized in public!

Youre right, I apologize!!!! I just get tired of Amtrak Bashing!!! Although it was Chakk that it was directed at!

Sorry OBS

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the confusion is that two different posters discussed hat etiquette with conductors. If I understand correctly, the op was a passenger. Then obs added his experience as an employee. My previous comments were directed at the op who I assumed was a passenger. If both posters are employees of amtrak, then I misread the situation.

Last I checked I believe the standards manual stated it was a requirement to have your uniform hat on while in uniform with the exception of the dining car where it should be removed and carried under the arm. I believe the standards manual stated it was "a matter of common civility."

I don't know if that is still applicable as a rule today, however some people remove it, some do not. I also see some who don't wear a uniform hat as a Conductor. The uniforms typically vary, however most I have seen generally fall within or close to the regulation uniform. Personally, as long as it is professional and within good taste the variety in uniform looks of Conductors are a glimpse in to the personality of each. That is what I think is nice that there is not just one absolute uniform for everyone. There are a few variations available to allow for some individual choices while still looking professional and within the rules.

From what I understand, wearing the Conductor hat on duty during extremely hot weather is difficult for some crewmembers. It would appear to me that the hats could be especially uncomfortable on southern trains during the summer months. In my opinion, as long as other crewmembers recognize the Conductor (without the hat) the wearing of the hat in hot weather could/should be optional.

I have never seen an Amtrak Conductor wearing a hat in the dining car or in a restaurant in the terminal. I believe that removing a hat before entering a restaurant (or dining car) is still a tradition and respectful one as well.

Matter of fact, there are airline pilots in Europe that remove their hats in the terminal and when boarding an aircraft from the jetway ramp-stairs. In Prague, Czech Republic, the national airline - CSA Czech Airlines' pilots - can be seen walking through the terminal with their hats tucked between one arm and pulling their flight bag with the other.

My hat always comes off when I enter an eating place to eat regardless of the situation (dining car, outside eatery, mall food court) the exception would be a food court, I'm not necessarily removing a hat just passing by, but if I'm eating and sitting down, I will. I usually save the hassle and leave the hat in my car if I'm only there to eat as opposed to eat, then do something else. Not sure what I do for cafe car though, Sightseer, I wouldn't necessarily worry about removing it, but I can't remember what I did on the Amfleets. My Scout troop also makes sure to remind our Scouts of that. We used to require them to remove hats when entering any building, but we've kind of backed that off to just eating locations and church (in the case of the former, mostly the dining hall at camp).

IIRC, trainmen were supposed to remove their caps while passing thru the diner, Except, when "collecting transportation" (tickets). Not sure if that is still applicable today...

I'm kind of on the fence with this one. On the one hand I think the hat is important in the sense that it alerts passengers to your position so that if they need the services of a conductor they can find you. On the other hand I don't want the conductor to be seriously uncomfortable. As for the issue with wearing hats in general I guess it's a generational thing. I was taught that men wearing hats indoors is disrespectful. If there's a structure over your head then you take off your hat. Simple as that. There are times I still wear a hat indoors intentionally, such as wearing a fan cap at an indoor sports game. These days it doesn't seem like folks are being taught anything about when it's appropriate or not. Folks seem to don hats anytime and anywhere without much if any consideration for etiquette. Which I suppose falls into today's etiquette. You can do whatever you want but you can't count on anyone else to do what you expect.

As long as we are on the subject of hats, I would like to unload my disgust with the rednecks who do not take off their ball caps while eating in the dining car. Especially those who come to the table wearing wife-beater undershirts.

There. Now I feel better.

The sex difference in the conventions is completely obsolete; nowadays women mostly remove their hats in the same places men do.

Of course, Jewish tradition requires that you have your hat ON when at synagogue... so it's all a matter of social convention. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, and all that.

As a matter of practicality, large-brimmed hats should never be worn in tight spaces; they do tend to bump into people. Tight caps are another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back