Amtrak Credit Voucher question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a $300 Amtrak credit voucher which we’d like to apply towards a trip we plan to take in July 2024. The problem is that the voucher is due to expire the middle of June and it is our understanding that Amtrak reservations can only be made 11 months in advance. We were thinking of applying the credit voucher towards reservations for a trip in May 2024 and then in August, rescheduling these reservations for the dates we want in July. But first, we’d appreciate receiving advice on the feasibility of this plan and whether or not there is a better way to go about it.

Eric and Pat

With our eVoucher set to expire later this month, we got up early this morning and called Amtrak at 8:00 a.m. East Coast Time (5:00 a.m. here in California) and got through to an agent right away. We wanted to use the eVoucher for a trip we have planned in June-July 2024, but the agent could only book reservations 11 months in advance. She suggested that we use the eVoucher to make reservations for dates 11 months from now and then call back in August and change the dates to the ones we want. This is what we did. Our eVoucher was for $300, and we used $205.60 of it for a round trip between San Diego and Los Angeles in Business Class on the Pacific Surfliner. We still had a balance of $94.40 on our eVoucher and, rather than letting it go to waste, we called Amtrak back and booked a Toledo to Chicago trip in coach on the Capitol Limited. Once again, we used a date 11 months from now with the idea that we’ll call next August and change the date to the one we want in July 2024.

As for dealing with Amtrak agents on the phone, as a senior, I have a slight to moderate hearing loss which sometimes makes talking on the phone difficult when the person I’m talking to mumbles, has a foreign accent, etc. To overcome this, we have a speech-to-text phone with a visual display so we can read what the person is saying. (Even the speech-to-text program sometimes has a hard time understanding some of the people we talk to on the phone!) The second Amtrak agent I spoke with this morning talked so fast that the speech-to-text program couldn’t keep up with her and was soon lagging far behind! In spite of this, we were able to make the reservation.

Are we able to use a voucher provided by Amtrak for a problematic California Zephyr journey on regular trains ?
Trying to book online a journey from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando for Nov ( the voucher runs out a few days later and we're only using a portion of it ) but getting rebuffed.
Trying to call the help line from the UK is also difficult.
The fares are not a huge amount but it would be nice to use up some of the voucher.
We sent an email at the beginning of August - no response yet although we know from experience this side of Amtrak's operations is shambolic.
I wrote a newspaper travel feature on our trip and contacted Amtrak's media department to get an idea of median prices for the different levels of ticket prices for our viewers and they refused to reveal it either because they didn't know or couldn't care less.
I'm guessing PR isn't Amtrak's strong suit.

We have a $300 Amtrak credit voucher which we’d like to apply towards a trip we plan to take in July 2024. The problem is that the voucher is due to expire the middle of June and it is our understanding that Amtrak reservations can only be made 11 months in advance. We were thinking of applying the credit voucher towards reservations for a trip in May 2024 and then in August, rescheduling these reservations for the dates we want in July. But first, we’d appreciate receiving advice on the feasibility of this plan and whether or not there is a better way to go about it.

Eric and Pat
Update: just before the voucher was ready to expire, we used it to book reservations for dates 11 months into the future that we knew we'd never be traveling on. Later, when we did make reservations for a trip we plan to take next year, the nice lady who made our reservations rescheduled the faux reservations and applied them towards our trip. So we did get to use the voucher even though it would normally have expired by the time we were ready to make our reservations.

Last edited:
Are we able to use a voucher provided by Amtrak for a problematic California Zephyr journey on regular trains ?
Trying to book online a journey from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando for Nov ( the voucher runs out a few days later and we're only using a portion of it ) but getting rebuffed.
Trying to call the help line from the UK is also difficult.
The fares are not a huge amount but it would be nice to use up some of the voucher.
We sent an email at the beginning of August - no response yet although we know from experience this side of Amtrak's operations is shambolic.
I wrote a newspaper travel feature on our trip and contacted Amtrak's media department to get an idea of median prices for the different levels of ticket prices for our viewers and they refused to reveal it either because they didn't know or couldn't care less.
I'm guessing PR isn't Amtrak's strong suit.

Nearly 11 weeks on from our initial inquiry to Amtrak and still no response. Our date of travel draws near. Amtrak is still not allowing me to use our travel voucher to make a booking. Any thoughts ?

Nearly 11 weeks on from our initial inquiry to Amtrak and still no response. Our date of travel draws near. Amtrak is still not allowing me to use our travel voucher to make a booking. Any thoughts ?
Emailing Amtrak is a waste of time. It's unclear if you're actually calling Amtrak or just thinking about it. You need to call 215-856-7924.

Not on Twitter and don't want to call the US from a cellphone in the UK and be kept on hold.
After emailing them again yesterday I received a reply telling me to use the Live Chat function on amtrak.com or the app.
I cannot find a Live Chat function on either of them.

Amtrak's Center of Excellence ( stop laughing at the back ! ) has advised me by email to use their Live Chat function on either the website or app to speak with an agent.

" Thank you for contacting us.
If you are having difficulty applying vouchers and cannot call, we can assist you via our “Live Chat” through our mobile application or Amtrak.com. Chat agents are available Monday through Friday between 8am and 8pm EST.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we look forward to assisting you in the future.

Sincerely,
Markese F.

Amtrak Center of Excellence

The problem is I can't find Live Chat on either.
Am I being incredibly stupid or is there no Live Chat function ?
Thanks.

Not on Twitter and don't want to call the US from a cellphone in the UK and be kept on hold.
After emailing them again yesterday I received a reply telling me to use the Live Chat function on amtrak.com or the app.

Amtrak's Center of Excellence ( stop laughing at the back ! ) has advised me by email to use their Live Chat function on either the website or app to speak with an agent.

If you are having difficulty applying vouchers and cannot call, we can assist you via our “Live Chat” through our mobile application or Amtrak.com. Chat agents are available Monday through Friday between 8am and 8pm EST.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we look forward to assisting you in the future.

Sincerely,
Markese F.

Thanks.
It's in the top right corner on the desktop web site. I couldn't find it on the mobile web site.
1697647682168.png
On the Android app, tap "More" in the bottom right corner, then "Contact Amtrak", followed by "Text Us".

Sincerely,
Markese F.

Thanks.
Can access the chat here. https://www.amtrak.com/contact-us
If your plan includes texting, you could also text the 1-800-USA-RAIL number

I'm not seeing a Live Chat button on that page.

It's interesting that you see no Live Chat while located in the US.
I'm not on any social media but I got my son to contact Amtrak via Twitter.
According to them Live Chat doesn't work outside the USA and they only discovered that after several back and forths on Twitter.
But it looks like it's not working for you either in the US. I also tried using a US-based VPN with no joy.
Anyway, the advice from Atrak's Twitter team was to send an email.
When I, through my son, pointed out it was 11 weeks since I sent the last email and had yet to receive a reply they merely replied " you have our sympathy over your difficulty " but didn't offer anything specific to help.
Anyway, I kinda like the idea of booking a ticket for 11 month's hence in order to use the voucher before it runs out this November.
Presumably it needs to be a refundable ticket ?

I tried reading your original post. I’m a little confused because you do not need to call Amtrak to use a voucher. It can be done by clicking the ‘voucher’ button on the payment screen. When you received your voucher you should have its identification numbers. Sometimes it will also be linked to your Amtrak account so you won’t even need to type that nimbler in.

I’m a little confused because you do not need to call Amtrak to use a voucher.
They said they tried to book a trip using (part of) a voucher on the website but were "rebuffed" in some way. I assumed that meant there was an error or some other anomaly and suggested calling because that is the only way I've managed to get anything resolved. Like everyone else I wish Amtrak responded to email in a practical and timely fashion but I've never seen it happen. I tried the chat one time but gave up after it seemed like it was just Julie without the option of talking to a human agent. These days I use an international plan on my mobile phone but before that I used a Skype credit or subscription to call international numbers from home.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10938/how-do-i-dial-an-international-number-from-skype-on-desktop
I have no idea how useful these other email addresses are but other posts suggested them for international customers...

[email protected]

[email protected]

They said they tried to book a trip using (part of) a voucher on the website but were "rebuffed" in some way. I assumed that meant there was an error or some other anomaly and suggested calling because that is the only way I've managed to get anything resolved. Like everyone else I wish Amtrak responded to email in a practical and timely fashion but I've never seen it happen. I tried the chat one time but gave up after it seemed like it was just Julie without the option of talking to a human agent. These days I use an international plan on my mobile phone but before that I used a Skype credit or subscription to call international numbers from home.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10938/how-do-i-dial-an-international-number-from-skype-on-desktop
I have no idea how useful these other email addresses are but other posts suggested them for international customers...

[email protected]

[email protected]
One common reasons a voucher might not work is because is that the name must match one of the traveling passengers. Not saying that is the case for you but just putting it out there. @Rizla Ronnie

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. One common reasons a voucher might not work is because is that the name must match one of the traveling passengers. Not saying that is the case for you but just putting it out there.
It's not me having the issue but Rizla Ronnie (see above). At first I wrote "OP" instead of "they" but I talked myself out of it since the poster I was referencing was not technically the OP. And that's where my post went wrong. Apologies for the confusion. 😅

The situation is that whilst the Amtrak website recognises and accepts the voucher I'm trying to use is valid when it comes to the making payment stage it merely says there are problems, you need to ring. I'm just trying to find a way of doing this without hanging on in a queue on a transatlantic cell-phone call.
So far Amtrak customer service has failed to provide an adqeuate explanation of why I can't use it.
Indeed in their replies so far the voucher hasn't even been mentioned and it was some time before the customer service department realised the Live Chat function couldn't be used outside the US. The latest email was to explain to me how to make a payment online to Amtrak !
I have also received no response to the SMS message sent to the Amtrak numbers provided above.

To make sure I understand - you are trying to use a Transportation Voucher (that you received as compensation for something that went wrong in the past), rather than a standard eVoucher?

Transportation Vouchers have to be used all in one go - you can't use part of it now and save the rest for later. I would have thought that the website would allow to use only part of it (and forfeit the remainder), hopefully with a warning, but perhaps it's programmed to reject any purchase that doesn't use up the entire value of the Transportation Voucher.

Here's one strategy that might work. Try using the Transportation Voucher to purchase a ticket that you don't plan to use (from anywhere to anywhere, on any date, but preferably some time in the future), whose Flexible fare is slightly greater than the value of your Transportation Voucher (you can charge the rest to a credit card or any other relevant payment method). Then immediately cancel. You should, I think, get the value of the Transportation Voucher back in a standard eVoucher - or at least it's worked this way for me in the past. Then, finally, you should be able to use that eVoucher in part to pay for your next actual trip.

However, there's a risk that Amtrak has changed the coding since I've done this and that, if you've used your Transportation Voucher once, you can't get a refund. I don't think that's the intent of the policy but it could be interpreted that way.

If you decide to try this, let me know if it helps.

Bumping this topic. I have a $100 eVoucher that expires next month. If I book a refundable ticket and then cancel it will I get a new expiration date?

Bumping this topic. I have a $100 eVoucher that expires next month. If I book a refundable ticket and then cancel it will I get a new expiration date?
It might depend on the type (reason for) voucher. There should be "terms and conditions" with the voucher.

Back