Amtrak Defeated in Senate

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midland Valley said:
The U.S. Senate just voted to Kill Amtrak. What is the next step in the process? Is there a next step? I'm waiting for a replay from the two Kansas Senators, who voted today to kill Amtrak, as to what they expect their fellow Kansas (as if they care) who use the trains for transportation.Does the House have an opportunity to act?
Basing my conclusion on what I know about government and its operations, I noticed that two traditionally Amtrak advocates Senators Bill Nelson and Trent Lott voted against this bill. I did a little research regarding this bill. And of what I was able to obtain, I noticed it was appropriately titled for its purpose. But one cannot always look at the title and the main purpose of bill without "reading the fine print" so to say. I believe these two "normally" supporters of Amtrak were forced to vote "nay" based on what was included in the bill. This could have been as simple as a procedure known as "paperclipping an attachment" to the bill which would have another effect as well as approving the 1.4 bil of funding for intercity rail. I am not getting any farther results from my internet searches regarding this bill. So I am awaiting response from Sen. Nelson's office here in my home state as well as my local congressman. And I will post their response (if any that is) upon receiving information. I am curious of what varibles were actually included in the bill which caused Nelson and Lott to act as they did regarding their votes!

If the bill had passed it would have went on to the House as most of us are aware. However, the issue can be brought by other means such as possibly as a "paperclip" line item within another bill proposal! We'll see........ OBS......

In the next three and three-quarters years, i.e. the rest of W.'s administration; look at the disconnect between the griping about

what this republicanized government does. I mean all of the complaining

about everything from Iraq to Amtrak to Terri Shiavo to ANWR to the minimum wage: somebody voted for these people. I am a conductor for amtrak and I will lose my job when the l.d. trains come off; but somebody voted for these big thinkers, it wasn't me!

For those of you that did vote for them and now complain; what did you

expect? Take some responsibility for YOUR vote!

Like those of us in this business say when some dumba** "manager"

(and that's a majority of 'em) starts a new harrassment campaign;

give 'em what they want and plenty of it.

GIVE THE VOTERS WHAT THEY WANT. THEY VOTED FOR BUSH et al; NOW THEY CAN LIVE WITH IT.

We all need to contact our U.S. Senators and Representatives and the President's Office immediately to support adequate funding for Amtrak. Talking on a web chat is fine, but we need to be pro-active to help ensure the survival and viability of Amtrak. Amtrak, whatever its imperfections, provides a vital service to this country. It's a viable option for the many Americans who want an alternative to air and highway travel.

Response via e-mail from Senator of Florida Bill Nelson's office regarding the Amtrak funding bill. Just as I expected:

Quote:

"The Amtrak full funding amendment was a victim of a paperclip line that

would have involved a gasoline tax hike for transit that is extremely

unpopular in the South and West."

I kinda wonder if this is really the reason, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt! If simply this gas tax hike transit amendment had been left out, however, I am sure the bill would have passed in the Senate, and then moved on to the House! There will still be other options regarding funding for Amtrak in the coming days ahead I would say. We'll see! OBS.........

Congratulations regarding the previous post. We likewise all need to contact our Senators and Representatives regarding our support of Amtrak.

I've been away for a while, and got back and saw this. Does this mean that Amtrak is in its death throes? I surely hope not. I like having the alternative to flying or driving.

I have written (Emailed) my congress people on this. I hope it does some good.

:(

The problem with the government is that is competes with itself. The train tracks are right by the highways. The US needs to build or expand its commuter regional railroads if people dread commuting on a train they will certinlly not want to sit on a train for more then 6 to 10 hours. Amtrak was not running anybetter or making anymore money during peace time.

No, but the question begs couldn't and shouldn't we be doing better for our tax dollars than chasing phantom WMDs. As a previous poster stated, Amtrak would be set for many, many years with the money spent on the Vietnam of this century.

Back