Amtrak Defeated in Senate

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
The U.S. Senate just voted to Kill Amtrak. What is the next step in the process? Is there a next step? I'm waiting for a replay from the two Kansas Senators, who voted today to kill Amtrak, as to what they expect their fellow Kansas (as if they care) who use the trains for transportation.

Does the House have an opportunity to act?

Where did you see that they voted. I tracked down the amendment to Senate Amendment 158 on Resolution 18 (the budget). The amendment was put forth by Byrd with ~20 cosponsers. All I can find on the Senates webpage is that it is being considered today.

The Senate did not vote to "kill" Amtrak, even though they voted against the proposed amendment. Several pro-Amtrak senators felt this wasn't the proper forum to debate/add Amtrak funding.

This is just what I've heard, though, as I did not see the debate myself.

From what I understand, there will be other chances for Amtrak to receive additional funding for next year.

rmadisonwi said:
The Senate did not vote to "kill" Amtrak, even though they voted against the proposed amendment.  Several pro-Amtrak senators felt this wasn't the proper forum to debate/add Amtrak funding.
This is just what I've heard, though, as I did not see the debate myself.

From what I understand, there will be other chances for Amtrak to receive additional funding for next year.
One of which is when they actually debate the budget, which does not happen until Summer. This was political grandstanding, nothing more.

This, plus a long session on yesterday's (16 March) Laura Ingraham radio show (digest still on here web site), reflects the Republican attitude toward most public projects and services: that everything should be justified in the market place. Never mind the facts, reality and logic.

Imagine what kind of boondoggle the highway system, the FAA, the post office, or the military would be if they were funded the silly way Amtrak has been funded these past 30 years.

This was only a Budget Resolution. Nothing binding. Each committee will have to work its own appropriations legislation, then reconcile that with whatever appropriations the House sends over. Still a long road ahead.

Guest said:
Leave it to the Democrats to vote for funding a 30+ year old boondoggle.
There will be one more democrat today. I am going down to the courthouse and have my name removed from the Republican Party. I don't like the prospects of being a Democrat, but we have two senators in Kansas who would let our state go to hell in a minute if George Bush said it could save the country a little money while we continue to look for WMDs in Iraq. The issue for us out here is we have no political voice. no one in DC cares about what basically amounts to the old Louisiana Purchase because they don't have to worry about the votes. When your own senators could care less except for standing up for an occasional "family values issue" so the folks back home think they are decent human beings, your powerless. Some may think it is a boondogle, but Amtrak is all there is for many. You kill it and its gone. Bush and Mineta's smokescreen about matching funds won't happen period. States don't have any money. Besides, I think the freight RRs will have something to say if Amtrak goes, like "No Tresspassing". They are not going to let a new entity or private, non-amtrak company run trains on their congested right of way. If they see the chance to get rid of Passenger trains, their gone. Bush knows it too.

What gives some hope for future votes is that several rep. senators which signed recently a Pro-Amtrak letter voted "Nay" to this specific amendment: Coleman, Hutchison, Santorum, Gregg and even Burns (who was the co-sponsor of this letter.

(see http://trainweb.org/crocon/amtrak.html#Legislation)

This - at least for me as an outsider of US politics - gives the feeling that this amendment wasn't the right place... and it leaves still some hope to ride US trains next year again... Am I right with this opinion?

rosenth said:
What gives some hope for future votes is that several rep. senators which signed recently a Pro-Amtrak letter voted "Nay" to this specific amendment: Coleman, Hutchison, Santorum, Gregg and even Burns (who was the co-sponsor of this letter.(see http://trainweb.org/crocon/amtrak.html#Legislation)

This - at least for me as an outsider of US politics - gives the feeling that this amendment wasn't the right place... and it leaves still some hope to ride US trains next year again... Am I right with this opinion?
This is what I'm starting to see. As rmadisonwi mentioned, many of the politicians, especially the pro-Amtrak Republicans, didn't feel that this was the proper time and place for this discussion. Killing this amendment doesn't mean that they've "flip-flopped" against Amtrak, but they just want to maintain some semblance of order (what little's left) in the Senate. IMHO, I think we'll see Amtak get the votes once the budget is up for debate, just now wasn't the time.

I wonder what kind of intercity rail system, education, health care, etc. we could enjoy in this country if we hadn't thrown well over $80 billion down a rat hole in Iraq.

at the DOT web, there is an Amtrak photo with an Amtrak employee in it, right next to Mr. Mineta's gloating response to yesterdays vote. I e-mailed him saying I thought it offensive for him to use that picture alongside his remarks.

Midland Valley said:
at the DOT web, there is an Amtrak photo with an Amtrak employee in it, right next to Mr. Mineta's gloating response to yesterdays vote. I e-mailed him saying I thought it offensive for him to use that picture alongside his remarks.
Sadly, Minetta is nothing more than a pupet for the White House. :(

It appears that the same thing is true not only for Mineta but for all the Republicans in the Senate.......Georgie says bend over and they all say how far.

regarding the Guest's comment, all I can say is, 'leave it to the Republicans to want to kill a time honored tradition, something deeply part of our American culture. Very sad.

More than mere tradition, rail travel was still a key means of transportation when Amtrak was formed back in the early 70s, to bail the railroads out of a hopeless situation caused (curiously) by the government itself. Had the intent been followed up with proper funding and qualified management over the years, we might have been able to enjoy the benefits of a diverse transportation system today.

People on the extreme ends of both sides of the political spectrum tend to over-simplify things.

rile42 said:
It appears that the same thing is true not only for Mineta but for all the Republicans in the Senate.......Georgie says bend over and they all say how far.
Just to be clear here, you do know that Mineta's a Democrat.

sutton said:
regarding the Guest's comment, all I can say is, 'leave it to the Republicans to want to kill a time honored tradition, something deeply part of our American culture. Very sad.
The Demoractic record on Amtrak hasn't always been impressive either. And it's not all Republicans that want Amtrak dead. After all two of Amtrak's biggest cheerleaders in recent memory were Tommy Thompson & John Robert Smith, both Republicans. Not to mention that many Republicans have voted for Amtrak funding in the past few years.

Guest said:
Leave it to the Democrats to vote for funding a 30+ year old boondoggle.
Well if Amtrak is indeed a boondoggle, then it's a far better boondoggle than some of the other Billions of dollars that Congress spent last year on pork barrel spending. Things like 500,000 to Anaheim Resort Transit to run buses to Disneyland. Or the $500,000 spent 3 years ago to fix up a statue of a little known Confederate general in a little town down south. Last year's pork (2004) was estimated at $22.9B and Amtrak is not included in that number.

At least Amtrak actually does provide some benefit for the states that it runs through. Case in point, the State of Montana commissioned its own study in 2003 on the economic impact of the Empire Builder, the only train that serves that state. From 2 trains per day, one in each direction, they concluded that the loss of the Empire Builder would have a significant impact on the state.

The Empire Builder serves a vital transportation function in northern Montana, the importance of which may be difficult to appreciate by those who are used to more generous transportation options and amenities in more populous parts of the nation.
They also quantified the loss in dollars to the state and they note that the numbers below are conservative.

Nonresident spending in Montana $7.6 millionAmtrak direct spending in Montana $3.7 - $4.1 million

Transportation benefits to Montana $7.6 million

For a total (readily-quantified benefits) of $18.9 - $19.3 million.
The full report from Montana can be found here. It makes for a very interesting read and even includes some demographics about ridership.

I'm certain that Iowa sees similar financial benefits too thanks to that so-called boondoggle.

And if you compare the whole Amtrak budget to just what NYC estimates they need to keep their Subway system running, from the NYTimes today: "The authority has estimated that $17.2 billion will be needed to maintain its core network over the next five years. Congress necessarily supplies a lot of that oxygen for New York's underground - the authority is hoping for around $1 billion a year from the latest transportation bill."

Amtrak's nationwide network seems pretty inexpensive by comparison.

Story itself here (free registration required): http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/18/opinion/.../18fri3.html?th

I wonder what kind of intercity rail system, education, health care, etc. we could enjoy in this country if we hadn't thrown well over $80 billion down a rat hole in Iraq.
How about $300 billion and counting. 80 billion was just the last installment. Of note is the fact that the $300 billion listed above is money that so far has been appropriated toward the war. The money goes pretty fast when you are hemmoraging $2,000 a second

To bring it back on topic Amtrak's could be subsidized at $2 billion a year for the next 150 years with what we've spent in Iraq in the last 24 months. Which by the way is a stipend compared to air travel and other modes of transportation.

view the cost of war counter below (at 156.8 billion on 3-18-2005

http://www.nationalpriorities.org/costofwar/index.html

Back