Amtrak Delay at New York Penn Station.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
There is a Rail Delay between New York Penn Station and the Sunnyside Yard due to overhead wire problems and all Amtrak and NJ Transit Trains and LIRR Trains have Delays and one NJ Transit Train was cancelled it was the 6.23 departure from New York Penn Station on the NJ Transit North Jersey Coast line Train.

Well I'm not quite sure just what the problem is, however I do have to wonder if it's catenary related. My reasoning is thus, whatever the problem is it is affecting the LIRR. The LIRR does not depend on catenary for power; they instead use third rail technology. Yet I noticed during a visit to my favorite Queens supermarket, located right next to the LIRR - Amtrak split, that the LIRR had inbound trains stacked up 5 trains deep.

Unless the catenary had been ripped off the roof of the tunnel, they should be able to reverse the normal flow of the inbound tunnels to keep trains moving. Even if the catenary had been pulled down, I still don't think that the number of inbound trains at 7:00 PM is that high such that it would create the huge backup that I saw. So I for one think that something else is afoot here.

On a separate note, northbound Acela Express #2172 the 7:00 PM departure, was by and largely on time. It passed me at my vantage point at 7:14, which probably only puts it down by about 4 or 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back