Amtrak delays 2023 H2 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, today is not a good day on the NEC in the DC area due to major Amtrak signal and switch failure between Washington and Bowie State University stations

majorly messed up my wife and I trying to take Amtrak from Metropark to NY Penn.. had to dump Amtrak and go with NJ Metro

Moderator's Note: A number of posts about dislocation caused by the deluge in the New York Tri-State area to transportation in general, have been moved to its own thread in the General Transportation Forum:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/dislocation-caused-by-new-york-deluge-9-2023.86119/
Please continue discussion of the aftermath of the deluge in this new thread.

Thank you for you understanding, cooperation and participation.

91? I thought it used CSX. Does it use NS in SC?
In North Carolina. Selma to Raleigh.

It is CSX from Raleigh to Savannah and then onto Palatka. And no NS further South. It is Amtrak, CFRC (SunRail), and SFRTA. (TriRail) and CSX.

Last edited:
Train 14 Los Angeles-Seattle of October 11th had a trespasser incident nearing Ventura.
A replacement engineer took us into Ventura and left again to pick up another train. We wait for another engineer who is supposed to arrive at about 1530 hrs.

Conductor stated another train had an incident too, so a bit of people shuffling had to be done.

For reference: Santa Barbara is our next stop, 40-ish minutes away, normally scheduled at 1214arrival/1221departure.

Last night's Wolverine train 354 (Chicago-Pontiac) was supposed to depart Chicago at 17:50 CST. The train didn't attempt to leave Union Station until 19:24, stopped while still next to the platform, attempted again at 19:50, made it as far as around 18th Street only for the lead locomotive to lose power, and ended up
being reversed back into Union Station at 21:45, where it was cancelled and passengers sent onto replacement buses.

Last edited:
Last night's Wolverine train 354 (Chicago-Pontiac) was supposed to depart Chicago at 17:50 CST. The train didn't attempt to leave Union Station until 19:24, stopped while still next to the platform, attempted again at 19:50, made it as far as around 18th Street only for the lead locomotive to lose power, and ended up
being reversed back into Union Station at 21:45, where it was cancelled and passengers sent onto replacement buses.
What type of locomotive?

While Amtrak has an excessive amount of delays, many attributable to the host railroad, they do try to compensate affected passengers with vouchers. Often this occurs without a passenger complaint.

On the other hand airline passengers are often denied any relief for delays. As a result of Southwest’s meltdown last Christmas, seems that may be changing as Axios reported in their news brief today:

💵 As part of the penalty, Southwest must set aside $90 million in vouchers for passengers affected by future delays and cancellations.

• "In the event Southwest causes a passenger to arrive at their destination three hours or more after their original scheduled arrival time due to an issue within Southwest's control," DOT says, "Southwest is required to provide the passenger with a transferable $75 voucher for future use on the airline."

At 0600 today Wednesday it appears that all NE trains are running close to schedule. Although too early it seems that flooding has not slowed trains too much. Hope it continue thru all of today. Vermont & Maine certainly could see problems.

While Amtrak has an excessive amount of delays, many attributable to the host railroad, they do try to compensate affected passengers with vouchers. Often this occurs without a passenger complaint.
Maybe this is something new. I have never had Amtrak reach out to me with an offer of compensation despite encountering a number of excessive delays. I usually find the compensation offered is a pittance compared with the travel disruption and inconvenience caused by the delay or denial of service.

I have never had Amtrak reach out to me with an offer of compensation
After an e very delayed AutoTrain, I received a call the next day offering me a full refund for the ticket price including a bedroom and auto. Maybe it depends on the nature of the delay (a late inbound train caused the delayed outbound). As a bonus we got two extra meals - a Dinty Moore lunch and a Pizza delivery for dinner!

I've called and have received vouchers a few times for a very late 20 coming into Charlotte. Nothing excites me more than getting into NYP after midnight.

Back