Amtrak detrails outside of Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder why they took everyone off? Seems they could uncouple those cars and go on. It was a deadhead coach and a baggage car on the rear of the train.

Wonder why they took everyone off? Seems they could uncouple those cars and go on. It was a deadhead coach and a baggage car on the rear of the train.
where does it say they took everyone off. it just says the train continued on its way later. no one was in the derailed cars. were were left behind when the train continued on 2 hours later.

This story says they would transfer the passengers to buses for the remainder of their trip into Chicago, or detach the derailed cars and send on the rest of the train. Perhaps the first story was edited after the train continued with pax.

Last edited by a moderator:
where does it say they took everyone off. it just says the train continued on its way later. no one was in the derailed cars. were were left behind when the train continued on 2 hours later.
Okay, either I am losing it (which is a possibility), or that article changed. It does say it was updated at 2:35 today. I am pretty sure it originally said they put everyone on buses to Chicago.

Okay, either I am losing it (which is a possibility), or that article changed. It does say it was updated at 2:35 today. I am pretty sure it originally said they put everyone on buses to Chicago.
It did say that originally.

Good to know!

Good to know!
just goes to show the media rushes to get the news out and doesn't care about the facts

BTW isn't this the 2nd time this train has had a couple cars come off the rails at CUS. somethings must be wrong with the tracks leading into CUS.

BTW isn't this the 2nd time this train has had a couple cars come off the rails at CUS. somethings must be wrong with the tracks leading into CUS.
No, this derailment occured in the State of Indiana, CUS is in the State of Illinios some 15 miles away from where today's derailment occured.

The preponderance of articles I've read indicate that buses were involved for taking passengers on to CHI. Additionally, on the AMTRAK train status page, you'll not find an arrival time for train 49 into CHI on 2/24/09. That would indicate (to me) that the passengers didn't arrive ON that train. Since nobody was hurt, I have to conclude that buses WERE involved.

It's kind of funny how Amtrak gets when posting arrival/departure times on the status page. It actually has NO information of train 49 departing NYP on 2/23/09. :lol:

No, this derailment occured in the State of Indiana, CUS is in the State of Illinios some 15 miles away from where today's derailment occured.
Actually this happened between CP 506 and CP 507 which is right at the amtrak station at Hammond, IN. The track platforms at CUS are located at CP 521 which is 14 miles from where this occured, But as a side note this incedent happened just 1 mile from the Illinois/Indiana state line and Chicago city limits. Also as a side note Amtrak 350 to detroit was making a station stop at Hammond when this occured.

Location of the accident

Photos of the accident:

Amtrak 350 passes the derailed 49!

3307137517_456588e11b_b.jpg

The Prr Signal Bridge at CP 506

3307071527_5e0910734b_b.jpg

why does amtrak got to make things hard on the pax. no one was in those cars. just cut those cars lose and send the train on its way. instead thay have to buss the passengers. is it to much trouble to unhook the derailed cars and send the train on its. i guess it is.

From the second photo it looks like the train was crossing from the second-from-front track to the third-from-front, but i can't see any evidence of switches, i guess the train could be over them, but it doesn't look like that.

I agree - Nice Pictures - how did you happen to be there?

Just because I don't know these things, how far would those cars have been dragged before the train stopped? Had it been stopped at this station and just stated up? I ask as the top picture doesn't seen to show any track bed damage at all such as wheels digging in the ballast, etc.

Thanks!!

I agree - Nice Pictures - how did you happen to be there?
Just because I don't know these things, how far would those cars have been dragged before the train stopped? Had it been stopped at this station and just stated up? I ask as the top picture doesn't seen to show any track bed damage at all such as wheels digging in the ballast, etc.

Thanks!!
They are not my pictures but i found them on flickr and thought i would share. They were taken by jdawg on flickr.

I don't see why. It's not an airplane that's going to disentigrate at 30 thousand feet traveling 500 miles per hour. It does need to be inspected, but I doubt it's a real major overhaul unless they just decide to put it in for its regularly scheduled overhaul a bit early.

I don't see why. It's not an airplane that's going to disentigrate at 30 thousand feet traveling 500 miles per hour. It does need to be inspected, but I doubt it's a real major overhaul unless they just decide to put it in for its regularly scheduled overhaul a bit early.
yeah all they need to do is check the wheels sense the car is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back