Amtrak Dining and Cafe service 2023 H2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once they get the Airos, the Carolinian and the Palmetto will apparently use standard Airos and hence will have dual mode.

The Long Distance trains will not have dual mode. They will change power at Washington DC, and use the new LD rolling stock when they come about.
I didn't know that, thanks. It will seem strange to see pantograph equipped locomotives in Savannah... o_O

All trains from or to Virginia change engines. An announcement is usually made not to go up to the station. But if you do it... City of Miami is correct that there seem to be two ways down to the platform from the concourse in the station. One has a queue of passengers waiting for the go-ahead. They board about 10 minutes before departure. Yet I was able a few years ago to just go around that queue to a different set of stairs. Note: the useful shops in the station are not especially close to the concourse, and you will probably not find a newspaper on sale, the same as most airports nowadays. So since that trip, I heed the announcement and just enjoy the platform, or stay on board as it goes dark.

An unfortunate incident of a passenger leaving his bag on the train and just missing its departure, then hanging on the side through the tunnel at WAS shows it's best to keep an eye on whatever Amtrak staff is at an open door, or on the platform by an open door, no matter the station. And vice versa staff or cameras should monitor a situation like that. (He survived but was shaken up.)

I'm curious when the dual mode locomotives will appear, but there's no sign they're being built yet that I know of. I guess the one spotted in Savannah was an ALC-42, not dual mode. Those models have numbers 300 to 424, says Wikipedia, and the latest spotted here was 342. The numbers for the dual mode ALC-42E's are "TDB" at Wikipedia.
Yes, 89/90 are now using the ALC-42s

It’s as much coffee and non alcoholic drinks as you care to have in business.
That is correct, had 2 coffee's, 4 bottles of ice tea and 2 bottles of water, all free on Northeast Business Class, also my Wife and I had 3 oversize suit cases, was allowed with no problem, anything goes as long as you can manage on your own.

Only real issue we had which was disappointing was the business car we were told was just taken out of storage and the car never cooled as well as the rest of the train, Quiet Car, Coach, Cafe Car were much cooler, it never even changed when they went from a diesel Engine to Electric Engine in DC.

I think comparing the traditional dining to Denny's is a bit unfair. I would say at least as good as a decent chain restaurant like Longhorn or Outback for the flatiron steak. But Amtrak is variable enough that one's experience might not compare. The chains on land seem to do a better job at consistency.

I think comparing the traditional dining to Denny's is a bit unfair.
Unfair to Amtrak or Denny's?

Even generic chain locations like Denny's can serve you on your schedule, cook eggs to your order, and make changes based on your requests. For whatever reason Amtrak either can't or won't do any of that. Extremely simplified restaurants like McDonald's do serve a lot of precooked food but the selection, speed, and friendliness are better than Amtrak and they never shout or snap at you for inadvertently disobeying them. Some of the freshest and tastiest food in the country is [served from] street trucks so it's hard to blame everything on space and facilities.

I would say at least as good as a decent chain restaurant like Longhorn or Outback for the flatiron steak.
If Amtrak had even a quarter of a typical Longhorn/Outback menu cooked to order I'd be super impressed.

Last edited:
I think comparing the traditional dining to Denny's is a bit unfair. I would say at least as good as a decent chain restaurant like Longhorn or Outback for the flatiron steak. But Amtrak is variable enough that one's experience might not compare. The chains on land seem to do a better job at consistency.
Ummm ... I don't know. I had the Signature Flatiron Steak as well. My wife had the salmon as was quite pleased. While the flatiron was good to Ok it wasn't impressive. And I've only had the one dinner experience. I would never order a steak at a Denny's so kinda hard to legitimately compare. I would not compare the flatiron to a Longhorn or a Outback either. Again, it is about quantity as well as about the quality. For the money, I was expecting more. Neither quality nor quantity matched up to my expectations. I'm guessing that my expectations were set too high ... just my initial experience.

My main take-away from the Diner experience was ... I was glad it was included with sleeper accommodations ... because we wouldn't pay for it with coach accommodations (which we only paid for breakfast).

I found the wait staff to be exception ... both trips ... friendly, helpful, attentive and both groups were enjoying their work.

With the prevalence of food trucks now I believe we can diminish the excuse of the cramped kitchen facilities of a moving train. Although I've never personally seen an Amtrak kitchen in action it does appear to be larger than a food truck. They do have the challenge of the train moving. Don't get me wrong ... it can't be easy ... there are significant challenges of a moving small Amtrak kitchen ... I get that.

I have just lowered my expectations of the food in the Dining car.

I'll look forward to each meal when travelling in a sleeper again in the future. It is a special experience! :)

I think comparing the traditional dining to Denny's is a bit unfair.
I just had it two weeks ago and I thought it was great. It may not meet everyone's standards and expectations for the price of sleeping car fare which is fine and perhaps my standards are poor since I liked it, but everyone is certainly entitled to their tastes and opinions. But I would agree I think comparisons to Denny's are a bit ridiculous.

Traditional dining is certainly better than a heated up Swanson. I do enjoy the flatiron steak, given the environment in which it is sourced, prepared, and served. When it comes to steak, the wife and I are suckers for old school steakhouses and their ambience. Under that context, the AmSteak, and anything from Outback, Longhorn, etc. is trash. Again it's all about context and setting the proper expectation.

I long for the day when middle earth freezes over, and the Crescent gets it's diner back.

Again it's all about context and setting the proper expectation.

I totally agree. If one is expecting Ruth’s Chris in the diner they will be sorely disappointed. But if one puts it in the context of travel food in 2023 that has to be prepped by a chef while a train is moving I think Amtrak puts out an honest effort that’s decent quality for what it is. It may not be the streamliner days but it’s a pretty good effort for food on the go when you think about what they serve on airlines and miles better than flex meals or what’s served on Acela.

I totally agree. If one is expecting Ruth’s Chris in the diner they will be sorely disappointed. But if one puts it in the context of travel food in 2023 that has to be prepped by a chef while a train is moving I think Amtrak puts out an honest effort that’s decent quality for what it is. It may not be the streamliner days but it’s a pretty good effort for food on the go when you think about what they serve on airlines and miles better than flex meals or what’s served on Acela.
I have always equated Amtrak's traditional dining with Applebee's (for those who know what that is. I don't believe it is nationwide). Not presented as well, though on those plastic plates It's a shame that Amtrak still hasn't rolled out the china service it announced with such fanfare, what, at least a couple of years ago?

I have always equated Amtrak's traditional dining with Applebee's (for those who know what that is. I don't believe it is nationwide). Not presented as well, though on those plastic plates It's a shame that Amtrak still hasn't rolled out the china service it announced with such fanfare, what, at least a couple of years ago?
You nailed it. When our Denver-Lakewood LRT line was new, I used to ride out to Oak Street after work to see how things were going with our train and connecting buses. I'd walk up to Applebee's and found myself thinking "this is just like Amtrak" except that the portions were larger and the plates sturdier. As this was back when all passengers were welcome in dining cars, I'd look around at the clientele and it was a cross-section of the region's population minus the very wealthy and very poor, just like customers in dining cars were.

You nailed it. When our Denver-Lakewood LRT line was new, I used to ride out to Oak Street after work to see how things were going with our train and connecting buses. I'd walk up to Applebee's and found myself thinking "this is just like Amtrak" except that the portions were larger and the plates sturdier. As this was back when all passengers were welcome in dining cars, I'd look around at the clientele and it was a cross-section of the region's population minus the very wealthy and very poor, just like customers in dining cars were.

For coach passengers the cost is definitely at a much higher price point, but Applebee's cannot provide the ambience of a dining car experience. :)

I had absolutely no complaints about traditional dining when I rode the Empire Builder last year end to end both ways. If I rode more often and on more trains then more variety between one train and another would be a bonus. If trad dining more or less as it is with maybe a little variation from route to route and time to time were to return to all LD trains then I'd consider that a huge win over where we were a few years ago. It's never going to be the '50s on a first class train again. And I think the NARP is working with Amtrak on changes that should make those happy who can be happy.

IMO, the traditional dining is good to very good but they could do better on the deserts. On our May trip on the SW Chief my wife asked the chef " What do your recommend on the menu" ? He said order the steak. As our once a year steak meal, the cut was tender juicy and very good.
In contrast the flex meals on the Eastern trains were absolutely awful, actually worse than a Swanson or Banquet TV dinner. I am not against precooked meals but those flex meals are bottom of the barrel stuff. How about a fresh Roast Beef, Turkey, Pastrami, Gyro or Falafel vegetarian meal?

Bet you're not a Picky Eater!;)
Im one of the pickiest on Earth which is why for Flex Meals I stick with beef and taters! Not many veggies that I am a fan of. If I ever go to a fancy restaurant im ordering from the kids menu because the adult dishes have too many weird ingredients lol.

Has anyone heard yet if they are still changing the menu for fall, someone posted earlier that it was changing

I have ridden LD trains since 1945 (age 10) and Amtrak LD trains since May, 1971 until 5 months ago, my last, possibly final, trip. The diner service and menus always were exceptional until "Covid" when the world changed for some reason. Flex meals are an abomination to someone paying extra for a sleeper and expecting reasonable diner service, or at least well cooked meals. Then to to be forced to eat TV dinners (Flex) in your room is an insult to those who ride trains because they enjoy casual relaxed travel to their destinations, not needing to arrive there immediately in a sardine can.

To each his or her own. It just goes to show that no matter what Amtrak serves, there are going to be people who do not care for it. I am an adventurous eater and I will try anything at least once, if it is something that is eaten and enjoyed somewhere on the planet. I don't like the flex meals and all the associated waste. Yet I eat them, and prefer most of what's offered to bland canned glop...which I could also eat without turning up my nose if there was nothing else offered. I don't expect goumet service from Amtrak but I do wish the western route meals were offered system wide. Part of the problem is how limited their menu must necessarily be, due to space and staffing constraints. Otherwise, carrying a supply of canned goods as an alternative for those who only wish to eat very familiar things would make a lot of sense.

To each his or her own. It just goes to show that no matter what Amtrak serves, there are going to be people who do not care for it. I am an adventurous eater and I will try anything at least once, if it is something that is eaten and enjoyed somewhere on the planet. I don't like the flex meals and all the associated waste. Yet I eat them, and prefer most of what's offered to bland canned glop...which I could also eat without turning up my nose if there was nothing else offered. I don't expect goumet service from Amtrak but I do wish the western route meals were offered system wide. Part of the problem is how limited their menu must necessarily be, due to space and staffing constraints. Otherwise, carrying a supply of canned goods as an alternative for those who only wish to eat very familiar things would make a lot of sense.
I recognize that some people paint with a very broad brush. I have tried to make it clear that my criticism of Amtrak dining car food is limited to flex meals, contemporary meals or whatever name it goes by. I think that Amtrak traditional dining as it existed on my last long-distance trip in 2019 and for years prior has been generally great so once you survive the flex gauntlet and proceed west from Chicago or New Orleans you are in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back