Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the eastern trains - the Cajun shrimp and andouille sausage is coming back replacing the shrimp and lobster sauce. On the western trains the Cajun meal is being replaced by a garlic and herb cod. Both now also have the text “ask your server about today’s specials” referring to extras that won’t be on the menu.

Garlic and herb cod should be on the Eastern trains. It's practically a staple in New England.

Guys – just as has happened through several adjustments before – this is just more of the same.

They are putting lipstick on a pig.

And to be fair, we're still in a pandemic and most people are refraining from nonessential travel. So for those who must travel, having an omelette selection for breakfast is definitely better than not having one. But when we get to a post-pandemic era (maybe this fall, may we hope?), a much bigger overhaul is going to be needed to win back customers.

Good question... but where is a reliable source for real information vs speculation??? :rolleyes: 🥴🥺

I will go on a 10 day trip from Omaha to Emeryville, then LA, New Orleans and NYC, riding CZ, SL and Crescent in about 4 weeks from now. I will be able to tell you then.

I must say I am hopeful, because their offerings last year (when I traveled for a week in late May) were getting boring very fast, and the portions were ridiculously small. So it can only get better, and hopefully it will.

Due to scheduling conflicts (damned 3x weekly plan) I have to take the Pacific Surfliner instead of the CS to LA. What will my options be food wise? Will be in business class.

Everything else in sleeper, so I'll find out about the meals served there. But what about the Pacific Surfliner? Have never been on that train before, so I wonder.

RE: Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowl ingredients.
I was told that if you couldn't pronounce the word or didn't know what it was then you probably shouldn't be eating it. I see the egg, sausage, potato, and cheese, but all of that other stuff (preservatives I assume) is why I wouldn't touch it. It's loaded with fat and sodium. I suppose they can't call it Flex-Barfing.

I must say I am hopeful, because their offerings last year (when I traveled for a week in late May) were getting boring very fast, and the portions were ridiculously small. So it can only get better, and hopefully it will.
We really gotta hope so. I will stubbornly wait till the Amtrak experience is more enjoyable before spending my precious retirement dollars for elective travel. :rolleyes:

But what about the Pacific Surfliner? Have never been on that train before, so I wonder.

The Surfliner has a full cafe service. Either the Surfliner or California service used to have a few local additions like burritos, on one of thre trains years ago I had a veggie burrito that was insanely good, not sure if they are still on the menu or not.

You’ll also get a complimentary snack box in business class. The one I received had a pretty good selection of quality snacks. Trail mix, cookies, hummus and pretzels... that sort of thing.

The menus are now posted on the website. It should be noted traditional dining is still there with its estimated return time.
Yes... good to see some change for the good... but the extremely poor flex meal program has turned me skeptical... the fish looks breaded... which means less fish and more 'extender.' Will be interesting to read the reviews from members of our forum. The Breakfast omelet looks good.

New food options.png

Yes... good to see some change for the good... but the extremely poor flex meal program has turned me skeptical... the fish looks breaded... which means less fish and more 'extender.' Will be interesting to read the reviews from members of our forum. The Breakfast omelet looks good.

View attachment 20834

Of note, the Omelet is not listed as gluten free so the only GF items are Cheerios, yogurt, and kind bars.

Also... you’ll probably have to set an alarm to get an omelet, you know they’ll run out of them fast.

Last edited:
Of note, the Omelet is not listed as gluten free so the only GF items are Cheerios, yogurt, and kind bars.

Also... you’ll probably have to set an alarm to get an omelet, you know they’ll run out of them fast.
That is certainly going to be a problem when there is only one item on the menu that's qualitative. The reaction from others if there are only a few omelet's placed would certainly be disappointing. But can one order ahead???

I would not be surprised if you can choose the omlette or continental breakfast when you get the email pre-select for the dinner meals.

Has anyone had success with pre-ordering meals? I remember a trip report saying that the on board staff had no knowledge of pre-ordered meals but that may have been just one trip / crew.

I do agree, but when I had the Blondie, it was NOT bad! I enjoyed them.
That's not the point with the desserts. They, along with the brownie (sister of the blondie?), have been going on now for well over a year with nothing else replacing them and nothing else added as an alternative.

With so many changes going on right now... who knows what?:rolleyes:
That's not the point with the desserts. They, along with the brownie (sister of the blondie?), have been going on now for well over a year with nothing else replacing them and nothing else added as an alternative.
Yup... and the 'changes' I was referring to have been reductions in service. But we gotta hang on because I sense with a pro Amtrak commander in chief, this will get better on the rails... I hope...

Fair

Yup... and the 'changes' I was referring to have been reductions in service. But we gotta hang on because I sense with a pro Amtrak commander in chief, this will get better on the rails... I hope...
Also, isn't the new Amtrak CEO more pro-Amtrak?

Has anyone had success with pre-ordering meals? I remember a trip report saying that the on board staff had no knowledge of pre-ordered meals but that may have been just one trip / crew.
I did on my recent trip - they don’t hold you to it but it does appear to at least guarentee you the option you selected. They appear to finally have it tied in because my SCA knew which meal I selected. This crew was a bit different than my last trip - on this trip the SCA told me to go pick up the meal in the dining car and either eat there or bring it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back