"Amtrak emergency meals"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the "emergency" beef stew once, on a late-running California Zephyr ... it was actually quite good.

The snack packs, though, are definitely pretty minimal.
That's what we had on the EB 8 hours late out of Minneapolis due to freight derailment in Montana. Served the stew around Milwaukee.

When an engine stack fire delayed our It is a crinkly sealed cellophane packet with cheese, crackers, assorted cookies, a plastic knife and a napkin. I believe this is what airlines now call a First Class Meal
Goes to show how bad the US airlines are now compared to trains.
I'd guess that you guys haven't flown in first class recently.  

You do get a respectable meal. Reminiscent of what they used to serve in coach.

I get a good size steak cooked to order, served on actual china, a full size salad, dinner roll, baked potato, and a nice slice of cheese cake accompanied by my evening tea..... when I "fly" first class on Amtrak.

I would sure want to try those, but not if I get a 24 hour delay.
When I was stuck for over 24 hours, Amtrak had no emergency meals for the couch passengers. None. However, the dinning car had lots of food, so sleeper passengers continued to be well fed.

Near the end of the 24 hours, the LSA, after ensuring that all the sleeper passengers were well fed (she went compartment to compartment asking), started to serve meals (at the usual price) to those coach passengers with enough money.
Maybe they were trying to reduce the amount of $ that Amtrak's food service loses. :lol:

You do get a respectable meal. Reminiscent of what they used to serve in coach.
Yes, assuming your flight is long enough. Food service has disappeared from many F cabins on flights less than 2 hours, even at meal times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back