Amtrak evacuation train heading towards NOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Headed east through Houston now:

Equip ID Event Location Date/Time

AMTK22 Departed Wjunction, TX 09/02/05 10:26

AMTK194 Departed Wjunction, TX 09/02/05 10:26

Est Interch Iowjct, LA 09/02/05 11:08

The 'ghost' of train #2(31).

This was sent to me in a yahoo group

Amtrak will begin evacuating stranded New Orleans residents tonight.

The company will dispatch a passenger train out of Baton Rouge, La., about 7 p.m to New Orleans. From there, the service will pick up residents to Lafayette, La., where they will then be picked up by buses and ferried to varied destinations, said Marcus Mason, senior director for government affairs for Amtrak, Washington, D.C.

If all goes accordingly, the first train should pull out of New Orleans about midnight, he said.

The train will run around the clock, with a second train to join the operation in the next couple of days. It's coming from the West Coast, Mason said.

Amtrak will use freight lines owned and operated by Union Pacific Railroad, Burlington Northern SantaFe Railway and Canadian National/Illinois Central Railroad.

Armed security will be on hand to provide for an orderly evacuation, he said.

Story

This is the first time I have heard anything about Amtrak helping the people out of New Orleans. Nothing has been said on the news about it. I guess they would have to get to the train station (however far that is).

BNSF_1088 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
The train is around Berwick LA heading towards Lafayette with the 1st group of people. :)
Engine 182 is in the lead :)
the train had 1 baggage car 11 superliner cars looked like 2 sets of the sunset ltd you can view a video i took of it going by my house on this web site

My Webpage

engines on this train

Very nice video BNSF. Its funny, I remember that exact spot on my Sunset Limited trip a year ago. That is right near the Cade siding isnt it?

The passenger count was reported as 650 not 350.

If only 350 people were (as per unconfirmed media outlet) on a 11 car superliner train someone should be shot, a measly 30 people per car ??

in an emergency ??

I believe the 650 figure to be more realistic.

what we need to do is other people need to mention what Amtrak is doing to see if we can't get some coverage of this issue.e mail the news media and tell them what Amtrak is trying to do.As of this point in time Amtrak is sitting in Lafayette yard until the people can get out of Lafayette the people that Amtrak has brought into Lafayette are stuck there our Government needs to start doing things right. :)

Ray L. Nutz said:
The passenger count was reported as 650 not 350.If only 350 people were (as per unconfirmed media outlet) on a 11 car superliner train someone should be shot, a measly 30 people per car ??

in an emergency ??

What your hearing on TV is that Amtrak is to move up to 650 people a day this train had 350 on it

BNSF_1088 said:
Ray L. Nutz said:
The passenger count was reported as 650 not 350.If only 350 people were (as per unconfirmed media outlet) on a 11 car superliner train someone should be shot, a measly 30 people per car ??

in an emergency ??

What your hearing on TV is that Amtrak is to move up to 650 people a day this train had 350 on it
That is 7 busses that didn't need to travel down the pluged up roads.

While his new friend Felicia Hendricks sat in a chair by the railroad tracks and breathed through an inhaler, Philip Harvey bit into sandwich he’d just been given by a Salvation Army.

Hendricks and Harvey had just arrived in Lafayette by train from New Orleans with about 100 other people, all refugees from Hurricane Katrina who were being transferred by bus to points west, possibly Dallas or San Antonio, said an Amtrak official.

Harvey and Hendricks met each other in the Superdome, where thousands of refugees languished before being brought out of the city.

“We’ve been taking care of each other,” he said. “She has bronchitis.”

The train later headed back to New Orleans to pick up more of the 600 people at the New Orleans Amtrak station on Poydras Street, said Maj. Dan Hudson of the Louisiana State Police.

The refugees were met by city police, firemen and medics from Acadian Ambulance and two California companies, Care Ambulance from Orange County and WestMed from Los Angeles, who drove several ambulances across the country in only 29 hours.

Story

Amtrak is on hold with the evac train until they figure out where there going to run the trains there having a meeting tomarrow about how and where to run the trains they could be sending the trains north up to ST Louis.As far as the 2nd set of equipment it could run to Lafayette today and sit next to the 1st set.

Back