Amtrak Funding 2005

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I just received the following email from my congressman. Thought the group might like to see it.

Tom

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Bedwell:

Thank you for taking the time to write to me about Amtrak. I believe that staying in touch with the people of the Sixth District is the most important part of my job. Your thoughts and opinions will enable me to better represent you in our nation's Capitol.

With over 22,000 miles of track, Amtrak connects our communities by providing an efficient means of transportation for our country. Over the past thirty years, Amtrak has grown into a vast rail network that now serves over 24 million passengers a year. Our communities have come to depend on passenger rail service, and we must continue to provide all Americans with affordable transportation opportunities.

Congress prepared to reauthorize Amtrak through 2006 at the start of the 108th Congress, but failed to reach an agreement on the future of Amtrak. Without reauthorizing legislation, Congress included $1.225 billion in the Transportation Appropriations bill to keep the national system running through 2004. Although this figure is less than Amtrak's original request of $1.812 billion, Amtrak President David Gunn announced that funding is sufficient to maintain service. As Congress prepares to reauthorize Amtrak beyond 2004, I intend to support increased funding for this important form of public transportation.

As always, I value your input and will continue to rely on the advice of Central Kentuckians as I work to bring economic growth and jobs to our communities, fight against the skyrocketing costs of health care, ensure the best possible education for our children, stand up for veterans, and protect Social Security and Medicare.

Thank you again for writing to me, and please feel free to contact me anytime I can be of assistance to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Ben Chandler

Member of Congress

That is a pretty strong show of support for a state that does not have a lot of passenger rail service.

That is a pretty strong show of support for a state that does not have a lot of passenger rail service.
I thought so, too.

He is a "brand new" congressman. Took the man's place who is now Governor.

I wrote him and both Senators at the same time. Haven't heard from either Senator!

Don't be too surprised, I've written numerous letters to my Senators and have never heard back, meanwhile I always hear back from my rep. Keep in mind Senators have many more constiuents and don't have to work as hard for a single vote, where a representative does.

I wrote both North Dakota's Senators and they both wrote me back. Of course when the population of ND is 650,000 there are less constituents per Senator then our 1 Rep. I'll have to write the Texas Congressmen as well. I know of course Kay Bailey Hutchison is Amtrak's biggest fan. I think John Cornyn is as well. My Rep. John Burgess is really pushing the high speed rail. I'm really mad though that Nick Lampson got voted out though, from Clear Lake in Houston. He was good. I have yet to hear if the new guy supports rail. We all know Tom Delay has been trying to stop MetroRail in Houston.

Chris

Back