Amtrak Guest Rewards 2.0 Coming January 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done a little checking, and for me, this is pretty much a "wash." I understand wanting to get the most out of a trip for the least points. If both time and points balance permitted, I've done that too (incuding on my upcoming trip Bend Oregon to BOS, via the CS, CZ, and Card eastbound, and the LSL, SWC, and CS westbound).

Those days are over, for me. I can no longer afford the points or the cash to do that kind of a trip. But new possibilities have opened up. Our next planned trip on Hubby's points is Pasco WA (PSC) to MSP on the Empire Builder. Back in the Old Days, this would be 20,000 points. Just checking for this December (we don't yet know what year, but it will be the second weekend of December), the points cost for two of us in a roomette is 16,560. No complaints! A trip to LAX on the CS is just about a wash on 15,000 points either way.

We always go in low season, when fares are pretty much always low bucket. We use Amsnag, and are always flexible by a day or two. And we don't mind taking the direct route instead of the scenic route, since travel just for travel's sake is something we almost never do.

I'm in the same boat as tonys96 since I'm in Houston. Since the routes from Chicago seem to be a better value under the new program, I may start flying to Chicago on a cheap southwest fare (I've seen $49-$59) and start my trips there.

As someone who travels long distance in sleepers during the expensive summer season, this is going to drastically increase my points costs. Our usual trip out west from Toledo costs 20,000 points each way under the current system, but will cost about 37,000 under the new system, thus nearly doubling our costs. And that's calculating the cost NOW, nearly a year out, when the buckets are as low as summer gets. Traveling by train will no longer be cheaper than flying (after factoring in all the points we earn each year), but I guess that's understandable. Whether it's still affordable for us is still up for debate.

On the positive side, Amtrak is giving us a decent warning, so hopefully we can plan a trip for summer 2016 while still under the current system. There's still only one one major long-distance route that we've never taken - the Zephyr - so maybe this will be the year!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess as a quick summary for the boat I'm in.....

Ending the 100-point minimum hurts me big time. That's basically how I got most of my points. My average one way ticket cost about $14, and that would get me 100 or 200 points.

However, I have 30,000 points now, and I'll probably use them to get a few multi-ride tickets and maybe plan a few short trips.

My perspective from Chicago-land is totally different. I'm gonna keep my points, continue earning points as normal this year, and when the new program kicks in travel in roomettes to NYP, WAS, Memphis & NOLA for fewer points than currently required.
I wrote something almost just like this earlier today and didn't post it.

I am going to do exactly the same thing. I agree that Chicago does give us an edge but, c'est la vie.

I'm really interested in seeing how points/cash redemptions are going to play out - paying cash for the rail fare and points for the sleeper would be awesome and a real points stretcher while still allowing us to earn points.

My bet is that you would only earn points on the cash portion of the ticket.
I'm sure it is. I certainly wouldn't expect to receive points for using points, for cash I would.

paying cash for the rail fare and points for the sleeper would be awesome
What? Is that an option? I didn't see that.
From the AGR email I received on 8/27:

Q: How do I purchase a ticket with both points and money?

A: Coming in 2016, you‘ll be offered a combination of points and cash during the booking process for tickets, so you can spend less of both. Until then, you have the option of buying points if you need to ”top off“ your account to get your next reward.

Are awesome and AGR even allowed to be used in the same sentence any more? :)
Here's my take on any kind of *reward* anything.

If a company wants to give me a perk for doing/buying something that I planned on anyway, I will gladly take it and say thank you.

Their perk, their rules - I can work with it.

Luckily, I learned about AGR here, on AU, before my first trip.

I look at AGR as an extra bonus and not something that I'm entitled to, much less complain about.

I will take the train at a price that works for me, points or not.

I've enjoyed my free trips with points before and I'm looking forward to planning some more with the new program.

If a company wants to give me a perk for doing/buying something that I planned on anyway, I will gladly take it and say thank you.

I look at AGR as an extra bonus and not something that I'm entitled to, much less complain about.

I've enjoyed my free trips with points before and I'm looking forward to planning some more with the new program.
Yassss...

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1440811632.188003.jpg

There is no such thing as a free lunch. And Amtak just took a big slice of my lunch pie (literally and figuratively) that I earned by being a loyal customer. I should be grateful? Nah.

Combined with all the other gutting that has been done, it is obvious the Scrooges are on the other side of the Potomac from me.

0440_lg.jpeg

And no mention of the benefit and convienence of being able to book AGR Sleeper travel on-line as the now hidden original Marketing blurb for LOSSAN trumpeted!!!

Seriously? With Amtrak's Computer System? Maybe by 2020 or so if this is even true?

MiRider, yes, I did see that about the ability to combine points and cash - in fact, I commented on it as being a nice new feature. However, I'd be surprised if I were allowed to pay for one portion with points and the other with cash. I'd not be surprised if the "combine points and cash" option were applied to the entire purchase, not just the part that benefits you the most.

What "portions" are you talking about? Most cash+points booking methods work pretty simply. You can buy a $1000 ticket with cash, or redeem 34,000 points. Or you can use $500 and 17,000 points. Or $750 and 8500 points. Or any other possible combination.

Well..ten years of making point runs..usually ELT-HAR or LNC for $11 R/T and 250 points..now down to 30 with the new system. with my Select status. Hope Double days are back next month. I plan doing a lot of these point runs while I still can. The trip we returned from in June was probably the last big one for awhile. Toledo-LA using The Texas Eagle and back using The Coast Starlight and Empire Builder. We drove to Toledo from Central Pa to begin the two zone run. End of an era. I gained a whole lot of points with that $100 minimum.. I'm the kind of Amtrak traveler that will be affected adversely by the new system..and the 800 point redemptions? They are for trips that cost up to $25...Trips I would take as Point Runs. I'll probably lose my Select status as soon as the 100 point minimum's are history.

What "portions" are you talking about? Most cash+points booking methods work pretty simply. You can buy a $1000 ticket with cash, or redeem 34,000 points. Or you can use $500 and 17,000 points. Or $750 and 8500 points. Or any other possible combination.
Eggzaktly.

attachicon.gif
0440_lg.jpeg
Or as Landslide Lyndon said about Goldwater:

In your guts, you know (s)he's nuts.

tonys96 said:
Those of us out here in one train a day going either north or south land have zero choice. All of our routes are indirect. To go anywhere out west, except LA, we must go to Chicago first, adding a ton of $$$$ to any trip cost (and now point cost). Even going to LA first before going to points north on the CS is a far larger cost in points under this new scheme.

I love San Antonio......but do not want it to be my only Amtrak destination. Ditto Chicago. Ditto Little Rock. But they are the only destinations that are anywhere near the value of points pre-change.

I can see how folks in areas where there are multiple destinations available from a local station might come out ahead, or it be a wash, but those of us in the hinterlands just got a big devaluation of our points.
So, sort of like what has happened with Greyound, where they've cut fares between significant cities and raised them for intermediate stops (or just eliminated service to those stations entirely.)

The ones I've seen (my credit card) allow one to tap out all the available points, then pay with cash to make up the difference. I didn't see anywhere to specify a combination.

Anyone use that one, or similar, against you in your races Tony?
Not yet! :)

But they have missed a real opportunity!! :eek:

A few months ago, I got 85% in a three way race for re-election. That was my eighth campaign and likely my last. Previous election, my opponent was the recently retired police chief. Only got 61% against him. :wacko: I think in 2018 it might just be time for me to move on to something different.

Had hoped to make some points paid excursions after retiring. So much for that idea, now. :(

Back