Amtrak guest rewards points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant
With the pending demise of Amtrak LD, should I stop using my Amtrak credit card and use another since the point accumulation won’t mean much unless I want to travel coach in the NEC?

Anyone have a guess as to when the LDs will stop running. I didn’t plan on having to use my points so soon.

Maybe the AOE will start running a Wal-Mart style discount tour for us commoners. They could buy up the better SL cars and have a several crossing the country east/west and north/south.

:unsure:

Well, I think it's still a bit early to write Amtrak off completely, but I would guess it's safer to use another card with rewards in the meantime until you know for sure whether those Guest Reward Points will be able to be used for a trip you want to take.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw in the towel yet, folks. A lot of heads would roll before our longhaul trains are cut. Congress won't let it happen even though Bush's Board is trying to pull out every trick he can think of (breaking off the NEC, firing Gunn, etc.)

I have to agree with jccollins and loverandhater about the Amtrak Guest Rewards points. I still am using my Guest Rewards credit card and believe many trains are in big trouble after the holidays. There are still remote chances that long distance trains will continue after the dust settles from the Administration's plan to kill Amtrak. However, the levels of service on-board though may likely be very spartan at best. It's important to remember that some long distance trains will survive the bomb that was dropped today with David Gunn's termination. To what level of damage will occur is still speculation at this time. I still hold on to the fact that many (but not all) state supported trains, the NEC and Auto Train will make it through without incident. Secondly, the Guest Rewards points can be used for other benefits, like airline points, rental cars and lodging that may become especially useful when train travel opportunities nationally may become more scarce in the coming months.

Back