Amtrak Harrisburg Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKillington

Service Attendant
I'm going to be taking a trip to PA in a few weeks. Without an available car, I was wondering if I took Amtrak to Harrisburg, how close is the station to the main NS freight route through the town? Are there railfanning spots within walking distance from the station? I'm no marathon runner, but I don't mind walking a distance to get to where I want to go.

I'm going to be taking a trip to PA in a few weeks. Without an available car, I was wondering if I took Amtrak to Harrisburg, how close is the station to the main NS freight route through the town? Are there railfanning spots within walking distance from the station? I'm no marathon runner, but I don't mind walking a distance to get to where I want to go.
The NS Main Line from Reading, which is part of the freight corridor from New York to the south/west passes by the Harrisburg station. Amtrak's Pennsylvanian joins that line at Harris interlocking just west of Harrisburg station. You can watch considerable amount of quality NS freight action from Harrisburg station or from the roads around it. You can also walk down to the beautifully restored Harris Tower and watch trains from there.

The NS Main Line from Reading, which is part of the freight corridor from New York to the south/west passes by the Harrisburg station. Amtrak's Pennsylvanian joins that line at Harris interlocking just west of Harrisburg station. You can watch considerable amount of quality NS freight action from Harrisburg station or from the roads around it. You can also walk down to the beautifully restored Harris Tower and watch trains from there.
I've been in south central PA for almost 20 years and lived near the Harris Tower for about half that, and before your post, jis, I had never heard of it, or the local chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Thanks!

I've been in south central PA for almost 20 years and lived near the Harris Tower for about half that, and before your post, jis, I had never heard of it, or the local chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Thanks!
You are most welcome. :hi:

A favorite hangout of mine when I go off on an Amtrak points run to Harrisburg on occasions.

A place that I goto in Harrisburg is the Mulberry Street Bridge. It has a nice view of the Amtrak station and the NS line. But be warned on the other side of the bridge is a bad neighborhood and some rough people come and go by the bridge. But the lighting is good on a good sunny day. My favorite spot in Hburg. Might be worth a trip to the capitol building also! Their is a great tour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back