Amtrak Heritage Coach Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first production Viewliner went into service in late 1995 on the Lakeshore Limited. The first pre-production cars, well I know they were completed in 1987. But for the date they went into service, I dont know. Ask Viewliner, he seems to be quite knowledgeful in the subject :)

Prototype Sleepers initially ran on the Auto Train, later moved to other trains like the Capitol Limited. The diner went throughout the single level trains.

for the period of time that 2300 was completed but not 2301, it ran on the Auto Train as a Dorm (in lieu of a Heritage Sleeper).

The first production Cars began operating in 1995, all arrived by 1996.

For more info click the link below to visit my site, which has info and photos.

On Amtrak's Carolinian Trains does this route have all amfleet cars and Heritage cars or just all Amfleet? :rolleyes:

Amtrak Railfan said:
On Amtrak's Carolinian Trains does this route have all amfleet cars and Heritage cars or just all Amfleet? :rolleyes:
It uses 3-4 Amfleet I Coaches for Coachclass, 1 Horizon Dinette for a Cafe, and 1 Amfleet II Coach with Video entertainment for Businessclass. Businessclass is on the front of the train, followed by the Cafe and Coachclass.

They could almost use a Carolinian consist for Palmetto bug, and they may starting in October if things go down the way they are looking. :unsure:

On Amtrak's Pennsylvanian what kind of Passager Cars does the Pennsylvanian have like Horizon,Amfleet and sometimes Heritage Cars? And how many Roadrailers and Express Cars runing on the Route? :) B)

Amtrak Railfan said:
On Amtrak's Pennsylvanian what kind of Passager Cars does the Pennsylvanian have like Horizon,Amfleet and sometimes Heritage Cars? And how many Roadrailers and Express Cars runing on the Route? :) B)
The Pennsylvanian has 4 Amfleet II Coaches for Coach Class, and 1 Amfleet I Club/Coach (Club seating at one end, a snack bar, and coach seating on the other end) for Business Class. The Pennsylvanian no longer carries mail, express, or baggage. :)

Amtrak Railfan said:
So no more Express Cars on this Route? :eek: :rolleyes:
No, but to me that's a good thing. Remeber, the Pennsylvanian was cut back to Pittsburgh not to long ago. Therefore, there was no need for express business. The Three Rivers is still carrying express though to Chicago. :)

The Pennsylvanian's main purpose in life when it ran to Chicago was Express business. When David Gunn cut back on express the Pennsylvanian needed drastic time changes to make the route more appetizing to passengers. Since there was already a train from Chicago to New York through Pennsylvania the train was just cut back to Pittsburgh for the better hours to serve passengers.

Amtrak Railfan said:
And now how many Express Cars and Roadrailers does the Three Rivers have? :)
That's very hard to determine as there are different amounts of shipments everyday. However, I can tell you it can range from 5-20 express box cars and roadrailers. :)

In Philadelphia PA how the Express Cars and Roadrailers hook up to the Three Rivers Trains with a Switcher or what else? :) B)

battalion51 said:
Since there was already a train from Chicago to New York through Pennsylvania the train was just cut back to Pittsburgh for the better hours to serve passengers.
That cut sadly also took out the State of Ohio's only daylight Amtrak service. Now the major cities of Cleveland and Toledo only see service at night.

While neither of these cities has the number of passengers that say New York or DC has, they nonetheless contribute more passengers than many other stations. In fact I believe that both are on the top 25 busiest stations list.

I have to wonder how much this change has affected those passenger counts. :(

That cut sadly also took out the State of Ohio's only daylight Amtrak service. Now the major cities of Cleveland and Toledo only see service at night.
Though it's not daylight service, the Capitol Limited offers early morning service to Chicago and late evening service from Chicago.

Where Does the Three Rivers, the Pennsylvanian and the Keystone Service leaves the Northeast Corridor Tracks to go to Harrisburg PA and points west?

Amtrak Railfan said:
Where Does the Three Rivers, the Pennsylvanian and the Keystone Service leaves the Northeast Corridor Tracks to go to Harrisburg PA and points west?
I know it is right near Philidelphia. I am not sure about the specific milepost.

In Albany NY is the Switchers hook up the Express Cars and the Roadrailers on to the Lake Shore Limited Trains?

Amtrak Railfan said:
In Albany NY is the Switchers hook up the Express Cars and the Roadrailers on to the Lake Shore Limited Trains?
Yes they do, although I failed locomotive identification, so I can't tell you what kind of a switcher it was. I can tell you that it wasn't new. :)

Amtrak Railfan said:
They leave the corridor less than a quarter of a mile north of the Philly station. Trains heading to Harrisburg can leave the NEC in both the southbound direction or the northbound direction.

However a train heading south from NY would miss the Philly station if it heads to Harrisburg directly. That's why they run the Three Rivers and the Pennsy consists backwards from NY. The train goes by the southbound cutoff to Harrisburg and instead pulls into the station at Philly.

The electric motor is cut off of the head end. A P42 is then attached to what was the rear of the train from NY, but will now become the head end. A switcher will add any Express Trak cars to the end where the electric motor was cut off of. Then the train pulls out of Philly going northbound and quickly takes a cutoff to the Harrisburg line.

The cutoff is just past the 30th Street yards, which are located imediately north of the station.

Amtrak Railfan said:
The Amtrak Yard in Albany NY is a big Yard or a small Yard there? :rolleyes:
There are actually two yards in Albany. A small one with about 8 tracks or so on your right, assuming that you are headed north. These tracks are very close to the station and this is where the Express Trak cars are kept and loaded.

About 1/4 of a mile further north from the station on the left side now, is Amtrak's car yard and a locomotive and small repairs shop. This yard probably has at least 15 and maybe as many as 25 tracks. The P32-ACDC's, extra cars, trains awaiting departure, as well as cars or engines awaiting repairs all wait in this yard.

This yard is also where the two newly rebuilt Turboliners are parked when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back