Amtrak Horizon Passager Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
I have a question on what Route can I see the Horizon Passager Cars in the Northeast? And I saw a Horizon Cafe Car on the Three Rivers Train back in May of this year.

Amtrak Railfan said:
I have a question on what Route can I see the Horizon Passager Cars in the Northeast? And I saw a Horizon Cafe Car on the Three Rivers Train back in May of this year.
The Three Rivers is about the only train in the Northeast that will have Horizon Coaches and Cafes. The Pennsylvanian used to carry Horizons, but is now Amfleet equipped after being cut back to Harisburgh. The only other train that Horizon equipment may pop up on is the Lake Shore Limited. In fact I saw a Horizon food service car on the Lake Shore back in February 2003 in Boston.

I think Horizon cars can be found on the Hiawatha Service from Chicago to Milwaukee and possibly even on the Chicago to St. Louis runs but I'm not sure.

The Ann Rutledge is an all Horizon Fleet train, however it does have an Amfleet Cafe/Dinette in the consist at times also.

ALL Short hall trains out of Chicago are mostly, if not entirely made up of Horizon fleet equipment. Occasionally Amfleet food service, and occasionally coaches (mainly ex-metroliner cab cars) can be seen mixed in.

The Meroliner cab cars will usually only get mixed in on Hiawatha service as they run a push pull operation, usually with a Cabbage though.

Just out of curiosity, do Carolinian Conductors take the train from Washington to Raliegh like their Silver Star counterparts?

I dont care for the Horizon cars, at least the unrefurbished 84 or so seaters. Uncomfortable and rough riding in my experience. I prefer Amfleets, though Ive heard that refurbished Horizon cars are pretty good.

The Horizon fleet is used here in Michigan, usually mixed in with Amfleet equipment on the following trains (at least the ones that i know for sure) Wolverine, Lake Cities and Twilight Limited

They were delievered between 1988 and 1990, so Id say their first runs were in 1988.

Phase IV I presume, well Id say they started putting Horizons into Phase IV around 2000, possibly 1999. There are still many Phase III horizons out there though, so not all that many were repainted. Some have gotten refurbished, most not.

Overall I think the cars are pretty bland. The whole slabside concept in my mind is bland, unless they've got a catchy scheme on theme (i.e. the new Tri-Rail scheme). Even some of the Heritage equipmetn that is slabside looks really bland. In my mind the Horizon fleet was one of the poorest designs Amtrak has made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back