Amtrak in Roanoke, VA!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philzy

Train Attendant
I stumbled upon this by accident this afternoon. I checked to see if there had been prior discussion but coun't find anything.

Roanoke Chapter NRHS Article

Roanoke Excursion Flyer

Internet Article About Excursion

Apparently, there will be an Excursion hosted by the Roanoke Chapter of the NRHS (National Railway Historical Society ) from Roanoke, Virginia to two places (Bluefield, West Virginia & Shenandoah) taking place in early November! It seems from what has been posted this hasn’t happened in over 10 years.

From what I read it they are planning on utilizing Amtrak equipment. Did they previously use Amtrak equipment? If not where did they get the equipment? I was however confused as they were showing pictures of the Superliner equipment but yet made mention about being able to reserve first class accommodations, would this mean sleepers? Seems an odd use of such, no? I would think that that would want extra sightseer lounges (which they referred to as a “dome” car?) rather that sleepers.

Lastly, if Amtrak can’t spare any equipment for new routes and schedules, how were they able to find open time for this round of equipment? Where is it coming from? Is there a reduction in service on another route to do this service?

{edit for spelling}

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak will be sending down one or two P42s along with a series of Amfleet I cars on a special move the day before the excursion (WAS-LYH-Roanoke). The consist will meet a number of private cars that have also been acquired for the excursion. The private cars will supply the dome and first class accommodations; they'll be the same cars found on the New River and North Carolina excursions happening on adjacent weekends.

Planning charters of Amtrak equipment is nothing new, especially for excursions like this. It just requires many months of planning.

Rafi

A lot of times when trips like this are going to happen on the weekend when the percentage of the fleet that has to be utilized is much smaller. They can also plan to push back a few PMs that aren't due immediately by FRA standards to stretch the fleet out a little bit.

Amtrak will be sending down one or two P42s along with a series of Amfleet I cars on a special move the day before the excursion (WAS-LYH-Roanoke). The consist will meet a number of private cars that have also been acquired for the excursion. The private cars will supply the dome and first class accommodations; they'll be the same cars found on the New River and North Carolina excursions happening on adjacent weekends.
Planning charters of Amtrak equipment is nothing new, especially for excursions like this. It just requires many months of planning.

Rafi
Thanks Rafi, these other private cars wouldn't by chance be the ones that operated the Virginia Central Railroad Charters back in the mid 90s would they? It's prob a subject for a whole 'nother thread, but what happened to those?

A lot of times when trips like this are going to happen on the weekend when the percentage of the fleet that has to be utilized is much smaller. They can also plan to push back a few PMs that aren't due immediately by FRA standards to stretch the fleet out a little bit.
a'ha! Thanks battalion, this is kinda what I was guessing. Any idea which cars these routes got pulled from, or were these spares sitting in the yard that normally would have had preventative MX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back