Amtrak Leasing P40s

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
, I was browsing railpictures.net tonight, came across P40 #830 hauling a VRE commuter train recently into Alexandrea, VA station. Seems that the P40s are possibly getting leased out, well its good to see them working then sitting around behind a shop somewhere rusting away with nothing to do

P40 830 on VRE service

830 was also the lead unit of my last "Amtrak" ride last fall on Mass Bay RRE's Berkshire Foliage flyer. . . 2003 will be the first year in almost 15 years that they wont have this train :angry: , according to the newsletter, the equipment that is used for the train is now being used for an extra Saturday train so the equipment cannot be freed up.

Isnt there 10 or so Amfleet Is sitting around somewhere that can be used for an excursion?! They often used MBTA cars on the Foliage Flyer and their winter time Snow Train from Boston to Vermont, but they said they will not resort to doing this due to lack of confort afforded by these cars, hmm at least they are using their heads!! though I would put up with a commuter coach for the 2 hours Im on the train, but other people who are on it 10 hours (5 each way) well thats another story!!

Unfortunately, the Amcans are running a bit tight. I think a few went to Chicago to fill in for 15 or so Horizons that went out to California for Surfliner service (apparently there has been an increase in demand for the service and many Surfliner trainsets are running with 6 Alstom cars instead of the origional 5). The only other thing I can think of is a few old Heritage Clocker coaches sitting in some yard some where, but I think Amtrak sold those off or they are on lease.

The Amcans are pretty tight right now, but it is good to see Amtrak make a little money off units not being used otherwise.

Amfleet said:
Unfortunately, the Amcans are running a bit tight.
What isn't? I agree it's nice to see the P40's are still doing good work. Now if only we could get a couple on the Morris & Essex Lines... :D

Hmm, well thanks for filling me in on the tightness of the Amfleet Is, I wasnt aware that some are being sent out west to fill in.

As for the P40s I dont mind at all seeing them on the point of Commuter rail trains like I said originally, just dont wanna see them faded, graffittied, and rotting in a backshop. And as long as they dont wind up on freight trains either, though I HIGHLY doubt they would, but then again if Amtrak was desprite enough (A freight railroad would have to be to, these units are pretty much purely passenger, more so then the F40PH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back