Amtrak long distance funding in peril!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrak_flyer

Train Attendant
Looks like Bush adminstration may try to kill off a few long distance routes in the near future. Amtraks grant for FY 2003 goes through Mineta on a train by train basis..words leaking out that they want some routes dumped immediately.

Its time to start writing letters ;)

President Bush comment line 202-456-1111

[email protected]

:eek: I have a hard time believing the Bush administration would want to kill Amtrak. I

don't know why they want to do it. With the airlines in trouble, and the cost of

gasoline out here in California, (over $2.00 per gallon), I would think the admin would want to find a better

way of moving people.

I've been a member of NARP for some time, and I'll continue to be a member because

I think they are helping to keep the trains moving.

I am convinced that many people just do not "get it" about trains. The country is full of such people and has been for years. They have never even "internalized" what a train is....not to be flippant, but that is why they run into them at crossings so much,trains are just not "real" to them.

As to the NARP, I, too, am a card-carrying member and I hope they are helping. My bucks go to them nearly every time they ask, in additon to my regular membership dues.

I get my lisence in less than two weeks and I'm telling you that I will not be driving all that much with the price of gas. With such great deals on Amtrak and low fares on commuter trains I think that is mainly how I will be traveling. It will be very interesting to see what kind of ridership Amtrak will get this summer.

It also annoys me that Bush will pay billions to ex-Iraqi officals (once and if Saddam is "gone"), but less the $800 million to Amtrak. Go figure! :blink:

perhaps because Bush is an idiot??

Just to keep the subject on trains: can't Gunn say to the W Admin: all or nothing?

Scott

sutton8596 said:
Just to keep the subject on trains: can't Gunn say to the W Admin: all or nothing? Scott
I strongly suspect that Gunn will indeed do that if it becomes necessary. He's already said more than once that he believes in a National system and that the NEC looses just as much money as the LD trains do.

So if the administration tries to force his hand, look for a battle and a possible shutdown. Hopefully though the administration learned something from their stunning defeat at David's hand last year and won't be that silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back