Amtrak lounge car complaints, redacted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some companies aren't even that strict on the till. A fluctuation of a couple bucks either way isn't considered the end of the world.

If Amtrak can't accept any shrinkage, and because of that the cafe has to close three times a day (on a long distance train,) then Amtrak either needs to find a better way to ensure no shrinkage or they need to contract it out to someone else. The NEC policy doesn't seem crazy unreasonable, but it's not ideal either, and I'd much prefer that it didn't close at all.

I got curious and consulted the Blue Book. Color me surprised.

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.22.33 PM.png

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.22.46 PM.png

No mention is made of Regionals doing anything different out of WAS.

There's more in the section, highly recommended reading.
Northbound Regionals get to close at ALX and remain closed until after departure of WAS.

Also just tossing it out there that many passengers either do not hear or choose to ignore announcements regarding the cafe. I'm sure Tom will agree.

I'm thinking about a trip I recently had on 94. Busssy the entire trip, right out of NPN. I seriously had no lull until say... Fredericksburg. Well anyway, I absolutely needed a break around NYP. I had the conductor make an announcement that the cafe will close upon departure of EWR for restocking, which was partially true because I was running or of condiments, etc. I still would help anyone who walked after in between EWR and NWK though. I had probably four people. Conductor made another announcement upon departure of EWR and NWK too. Yet I still had a passenger come up AFTER NWK saying she never heard the (three) announcements, and begged me to serve her dinner, because she hadn't eaten since lunch. I wanted to tell her.. "hunny, I haven't had a chance to eat a thing since 7am..it's now 5pm."

And Tom, you will love this and feel my pain I'm sure. I told her I'd take care of her and she makes it quick. What does she want to eat? Think number 6 on the microwave! Lol I instantly began cursing myself.

Meanwhile people see her at the counter and assume I'm open. In short? The announcements are listened to by some, but not all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
Dear Mary,

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████
                                              ██████████████████████

I yearn for you tragically.

A.T. Tappman
Chaplain
U.S. Army

I really think this redaction business may be overblown. As I said earlier, the info request was for complaints that related to lounge cars. A complaint letter that includes complaints about lounge service, plus other unrelated complaints, would have to be included. But maybe the letter contains one lounge car complaint in the midst of several other unrelated complaints. The unrelated complaints get redacted. Not so complicated, and certainly not a scandal.

Tom

Some companies aren't even that strict on the till. A fluctuation of a couple bucks either way isn't considered the end of the world.
Most restaurants I go to now round the bill down to the nearest dollar (after adding sales tax). Seriously. They're not even keeping track of the change. It's a bit weird.

I got curious and consulted the Blue Book. Color me surprised.

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.22.33 PM.png

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.22.46 PM.png

No mention is made of Regionals doing anything different out of WAS.

There's more in the section, highly recommended reading.
One of THEE most universally flouted rules in the damn blue book.
Indeed, I've seen this one violated repeatedly. Along with the "streetcarring" on the Empire Corridor... I begin to think that Amtrak Management has no actual control over operational practice at all.

I'm thinking about a trip I recently had on 94. Busssy the entire trip, right out of NPN. I seriously had no lull until say... Fredericksburg.
It's sounding to me like the cafes on the longer cafe-only (no-diner) trains need two staff members. That way

-- one can take a break and the other can stay on duty

-- when it's really busy they can *both* work at once

'Course, Amtrak management is not going to propose this. Sigh.

I'm thinking about a trip I recently had on 94. Busssy the entire trip, right out of NPN. I seriously had no lull until say... Fredericksburg.
It's sounding to me like the cafes on the longer cafe-only (no-diner) trains need two staff members. That way

-- one can take a break and the other can stay on duty

-- when it's really busy they can *both* work at once

'Course, Amtrak management is not going to propose this. Sigh.
There use to be Cafe assists on some of the busier Regionals, from what I've been told. For example, on 95 the assist would be onboard from BOS to WAS. Next day there would be one from WAS to BOS. I would imagine it would be a bit hard with so little workspace behind the counter, but I wish there were still assists anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back