Amtrak / National Train Day Plans??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why Amtrak is doing this. I'd rather just have National Train Day. It was fun and a lot more cities in the NE participated.

I don't know why Amtrak is doing this. I'd rather just have National Train Day. It was fun and a lot more cities in the NE participated.
Since we don't know all the work that goes on behind the scenes I don't think we can determine which way is best.

Anyone know if will there be Amtrak equipment displays at PHL(like NTD) or just the exhibit train? Feel bad that Washington Union is not participating this year.
I suspect we won't know till closer to the time. They probably don't know what equipment will be available till then. Perhaps a new Vewliner II diner and/or sleeper will be there before they're put into service. One can hope.

I'm thinking of going down to PHL September 19 to see the exhibit train, which I have never seen.

Just a reminder/note for anyone who might be planning a few days in Philly around that date: the Pope will be in Philly the weekend of September 26-27, so staying during the week before the 19th will work better than the week after, when it will be crowded and probably no hotel rooms available.

I'm thinking of going down to PHL September 19 to see the exhibit train, which I have never seen.

Just a reminder/note for anyone who might be planning a few days in Philly around that date: the Pope will be in Philly the weekend of September 26-27, so staying during the week before the 19th will work better than the week after, when it will be crowded and probably no hotel rooms available.
There are already no reasonable hotels within 50 miles of Philly the week after the 19th (the catholic conference that the pope is coming for starts the monday afterward, so you are generally looking at $450+ a night if you can find one). If you want to make a trip of the exhibit train, stay before, not after. (Unless of course, you want to watch a commuter rail system collapse, then by all means, stay!)

I'll be in Chicago with my mom. We will be taking the excursion train and tour of the control center. Tempting to ride up there from STL on the TE.

I went to Toledo last year and it was EXCELLENT. The station was packed with displays, there was a three car Amtrak train plus four other loco's. It was crowded and handicap parking was insufficient. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln , how was the theater>
Sorry if I missed you at Toledo today. They blocked off a large lot for handicapped parking this time. We got there about 9:15 and just barely found a place to park a block from the old railroad bridge. See my post of May 2

Spent Amtrak Train Day in Newbern, TN. I sat up a table with display materials for the TN Assoc. of RR Passengers. Event was well attended.

Newbern Depot 2.jpg

I'll be in Chicago with my mom. We will be taking the excursion train and tour of the control center. Tempting to ride up there from STL on the TE.
Nice. The Hard Hat tour was all sold out during the first week, probably have to wait til next year.

BTW don't forget to attach your AGR # to the tour tickets, if you haven't done so already when you book through the operator. Double Days promotion are in effect, and you will get double points and TQPs for the tour :)

BTW don't forget to attach your AGR # to the tour tickets, if you haven't done so already when you book through the operator. Double Days promotion are in effect, and you will get double points and TQPs for the tour :)
Thanks for the reminder.

When I checked, I learned two things.

First (and probably of greater interest to any reader), the body of the message from [email protected] shows a passenger's name but not the passenger's AGR number, but the attached eticket shows both the name and number.

Second, I had remembered to provide my AGR number, so the senile dementia was under control when I made the reservation.

Bill - Sorry I missed Toledo. Have some health issues that made it impossible to make the four hour drive. Sounds like things went well without me (no surprise here) and you had a good time.

I hate it when life gets in the way

I am in Tampa for NTD. I arrived 3 hours late on 91 (due to suicide by freight train this morning north of JAX) and missed a lot. However, every kid I see has a big smile on his or her face.

Here's the email about the Salem, OR event.

Hello.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Amtrak passengers, employees and their loved ones who were aboard Northeast Regional Train 188, which derailed north of Philadelphia, Pa., on the evening of May 12. Under this circumstance, we are postponing Amtrak Train Days at Riverfront Park in Salem, Ore. We anticipate rescheduling this event and the new date will be posted on AmtrakTrainDays.com.

Thank you for your understanding.

-Rob

Robert C. Eaton

Government Affairs

Amtrak

Nice. The Hard Hat tour was all sold out during the first week, probably have to wait til next year.

Just got off the phone with AGR, you don't get TQP's and the associated double points for the tours, or any of the NTD-related events.

It will still count as 2x if you pay for it using the AGR Mastercard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back