Amtrak on eBay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJay

Train Attendant
While browsing the internet auction site eBay today I was surprised to see that Amtrak is now officially auctioning tickets! Maybe this is old news to most, but I was wondering if this is another of David Gunn's ideas similar to the increased advertising we are seeing. As popular as eBay is, it looks like a good way to get some Amtrak publicity and perhaps entice some new travelers to rail as well.

Unfortunately none of the several tickets currently up would be of any use to me, since they all seem to be for specific city pairs that wouldn't apply to me. From what I saw only basic coach seats were being offered - no deals to be had on sleepers. And they even say "Tickets are not upgradeable". Period. I suppose that means not even after boarding? Darn. And there are several additional restrictions that include being non-transferable, non-refundable, must travel between specific dates, blackout dates, and these are not even eligible for Guest Rewards credit. Kind of takes the fun out of it.

I suppose only time will tell if these are going to end up as good bargains for anyone or as positive advertising for Amtrak. It may well be that Amtrak's regular Rail Sale fares and promotions will beat these on a day to day basis. But I will keep an eye on the auction tickets and see if things improve. Anyway, if you want to take a look, just go to ebay.com and type "amtrak ticket" in the search box. You may find something of interest to you. Has anyone bought a ticket this way yet?

If you're onboard, and there's an empty room, they'd be 100% IDIOTS not letting you purchase it!!!

Think about it..all you have is your boarding pass at that point, to deny you a vacant room would be pointless.

That's NO WAY to run a railroad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back