Amtrak Once Again Threatens A Shut Down

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Amtrak President David L. Gunn made the following statement today:
"Earlier today I met with Senator Patty Murray of the Appropriations Committee concerning Amtrak funding for FY '03.  I updated Senator Murray on the progress being made to stabilize Amtrak's operations and finances and to bring tight new fiscal controls to bear on the company.  I also repeated my concern that federal funding substantially less than $1.2 billion in FY '03 will take us right back to the near-shutdown we experienced last summer.
The full press release from Amtrak can be found here.

My personal comments:

Will Congress ever understand that this country needs Amtrak, and Amtrak needs funding? :angry:

AlanB said:
Will Congress ever understand that this country needs Amtrak, and Amtrak needs funding? :angry:
We can only hope. :(

I'd love to be able to one day see a Silver Meteor able to run with a full Viewliner train, and a system with daily service on all trains plus many routes revived including the Floridian, Broadway Limited (Three Rivers + Diner), Desert Wind, Pioneer and others. I'd like to see Amtrak not only get the $1.2 Billion, but when congress give Amtrak the chance to make those improvements. :(

Viewliner said:
I'd love to be able to one day see a Silver Meteor able to run with a full Viewliner train, and a system with daily service on all trains plus many routes revived including the Floridian, Broadway Limited (Three Rivers + Diner), Desert Wind, Pioneer and others. I'd like to see Amtrak not only get the $1.2 Billion, but when congress give Amtrak the chance to make those improvements. :(
It's too bad that Senator Ernest Hollings (D-SC) isn't president. If he was, Viewliner, than we would probably see the trains you mentioned reinstated and some MAJOR capital rail improvements made - not just pennies dangled from the government's purse strings. Well, enough wishful dreaming for the day... :rolleyes:

(Do we know what the outcome of this vote is yet?)

According to Trainorders.com, seems that the Senate favored $1.2 billion for Amtrak.

Man....I hope so. That is the only reasonable answer. Is it true though that the house would still have to pass on it then? Or would that mean that we are good to go for the year?

I hope we get all the money Gunn has asked for...I really want to work over the summer, and I fear that if that money doesn't come in, then I may have already seen my last days of working on the train :( .

Yep, apparently it's official: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ort_amtrak_dc_2

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Facing another threat from Amtrak to shut down service, the U.S. Senate set up a showdown late on Thursday with the House of Representatives and the Bush administration over passenger rail funding.

The full Senate approved an amendment to an omnibus spending bill to restore Amtrak's proposal for $1.2 billion in subsidies this fiscal year after Republican leaders cut its funding request by roughly a third.

With all the reforms Gunn has made, enough of them to even impress the senator from Arizona, I do not understand the logic behind funding Amtrak substantially below what its president asks for. The government’s language always suggests Amtrak should make a profit. I can't make a profit. It's impossible. The best minds and experts say so. Asking Amtrak to make a profit is like asking the Army Corp of Engineers to do so. It makes no sense.

Perhaps it's the polluted air in Washington that causes our leadership to confuse fantasy with reality.

Amtrak Watcher said:
Perhaps it's the polluted air in Washington that causes our leadership to confuse fantasy with reality.
Hey, that sounds like a good way to lobby for trains! "If we had more trains running into Washington, DC, the air would be cleaner, so the leadership of our country would be able to see reality instead of being high on the carbon monoxide caused by all the cars entering the city." :lol:

I take anything I see from the American Criminal Liberties Union with a grain of salt.

I do not see Amtrak shutting down in the forseeable future it's not something that would be politically popular in a number of localities. One thing the administration does not need is more bad public relations.

With the 1.2 billion almost secured, this not only will buy Amtrak a ticket for the rest of FY2003, but more likely in other FY's to come. It seems that maybe our government is begining to see the importance and demand for passenger rail.

Amfleet said:
With the 1.2 billion almost secured, this not only will buy Amtrak a ticket for the rest of FY2003, but more likely in other FY's to come. It seems that maybe our government is begining to see the importance and demand for passenger rail.
I hope so, this could be the beginning of a truly beautiful thing.

I don't know about that...I mean I am hopeful, and I hate to be a pessimist, but I am afraid they are just realizing that they can't afford to let Amtrak just shut down on the drop of a hat. I am still afraid they may try to plan an orderly shut down at some point. Although, I am impressed about how much McCain seems to respect Gunn. That is definitely a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back