amtrak original talgo trainset

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

What locomotives were used to pull the original amtrak talgo trainset?

(The one that is now available in HO scale)

On the photos I have seen, an F40PH was pulling the train.

Greetings

Today, they use F59PH-I Diesel Locomotives

amt461.jpg

amt468a.jpg

amt469c.jpg

FrontExt.jpg

Hope this helps.

I think the Talgo's have always operated with an F59PHI as the power and a demotorized F40 in the 92xxx series since their inception.

From what I've seen, the F40s role in the Talgo Service was largely to test run them as is the case with this photo. I think ICE 3 should clarify what he means though.

amt200f.jpg

Viewliner said:
From what I've seen, the F40s role in the Talgo Service was largely to test run them as is the case with this photo. I think ICE 3 should clarify what he means though.
amt200f.jpg
original amtrak talgo trainset
He did, we just didn't see. So to answer his question. Yes, F-40's were used with the "origional" talgo.

No, the F59-PHI's are HEP Equipped, after all they haul the California Cars, Surfliners, along with the Talgos and other commuter lines.

The F40 Avoids the need of having to turn around the Talgos at either end of the line (Cascade Corridor).

Viewliner said:
No, the F59-PHI's are HEP Equipped, after all they haul the California Cars, Surfliners, along with the Talgos and other commuter lines.
The F40 Avoids the need of having to turn around the Talgos at either end of the line (Cascade Corridor).
Actually, the Talgo trainset is not powered by HEP from the engine. Instead there is a seperate power generator car at one end of the trainset that provides electricity to the passenger cars.

As you can see I'm not that knowledgable with the talgos, but the point being that the F40's now just provide a cab for the train so it doesn't have to turn around.

Right, this is what shoud have been done for the Acela. Make one power car de-moterorized and used just as a cab. Also, an extension of revenue seating into the de-motorized power car could have been done like on the X-2000 that came over from Germany.

The only good thing about the Acela is there's a backup engine in the event of a failure. So, you're thinking it should be Turboliner-like with the cab. I would've like to have seen a full service diner like on the ICE train, on maybe some of the BOS-WAS runs.

There were two reasons that the Acela Express trains got a second power car. One was as mentioned above, to provide a second engine to protect against failure. The second and major reason was to provide a high acceleration rate, so as to cut down on travel times. Trains loose a great deal of time starting up from stations, so the second power car was intended to increase the pick-up speed from a stop.

Plus I also think that the two power cars work together to control the correct amount of tilt needed for the passenger cars.

Viewliner said:
I think the Acela could use a few more cars.
There is no doubt that they could use some extra cars to create longer consists. In fact David Gunn has already expressed some interest in trying to get some more cars. This of course depends on getting the money to do it, along with resolving all of the problems with the current fleet and with the manufacturer, Bombardier.

Just to make a few clarifications on the use of the cabbage so to speak. The units are actually numered 90xxx. The xxx is whatever former engine # the unit was. So for example Cabbage 90253 was former Amtrak 253. The decision was made not to put the roll up door on these cabbages because the Talgos have built in baggage rooms, and would take away from the appearance of the F-40 if it had the roll up door. The empty room where the prime mover once was is now used as an overflow baggage area/storage room. I don't believe the F-40 Cabbages were upgraded to have the computer system like many modern cab coaches/locomotive have, but instead the standard control stand that it was originally equipped with.

On a different Cabbage note, there is talk of placing a Cabbage on the rear of 89/90 so the train will be able to back into Tampa Union with an actual cab, headlights and airhorn. If this is done the Heritage baggage would be removed from the train, and the cabbage would take its place. Another possible idea being thrown around, albeit a little more complicated, is to place the Second P-42 on the rear of the consist at PHL and then have the RoadRailers trail it to JAX (note that 89/90 keep their second unit all the way to MIA, as the switch crew at JAX is a little lighter than the day crew, so the unit is just left in position). If the cabbage were to be used the unit would stay with the train all the way to NYP making it a little easier to manage

battalion51 said:
On a different Cabbage note, there is talk of placing a Cabbage on the rear of 89/90 so the train will be able to back into Tampa Union with an actual cab, headlights and airhorn. If this is done the Heritage baggage would be removed from the train, and the cabbage would take its place. Another possible idea being thrown around, albeit a little more complicated, is to place the Second P-42 on the rear of the consist at PHL and then have the RoadRailers trail it to JAX (note that 89/90 keep their second unit all the way to MIA, as the switch crew at JAX is a little lighter than the day crew, so the unit is just left in position). If the cabbage were to be used the unit would stay with the train all the way to NYP making it a little easier to manage
Well neither of those scenarios can take place until and unless all freight and Road Railers come off the trains. As long as Amtrak continues to haul freight on the back of the tains, there is no way to pass the necessary control cables for the controllers on two engines to talk to one another.

In fact I seem to recall Miami Joe mentioning that even some of the passenger cars have had the control cables removed.

Amfleet said:
On a side not, where is Joe? Hasn't been around for about a month.
Hasn't been able to access one at work, and is waiting for a sale before he's buying one for home. He mentioned this to me in his latest PM. From November 16 4:35 PM. It'll be nice once he's able to post again, as he's a valuable resource, and thus an important member. In fact thanks to him I've been able to keep track of the prototypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back