Amtrak outperforms airlines in poor weather

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Montreal charges $2 a ride on their transit system but of course that's Canadien so it's only really $1.20 US :) but it probably seems like a lot to them.

tp49 said:
If you consider a couple of factors the $1.50 really is not that steep. First, NYCTA has not raised the fare in at least 10 years.
Actually TP49, the last fare increase was 1995 only seven years ago. Back then it went from $1.25 to the current $1.50.

It should also be noted, that many of the other cities that you mentioned including the MTA do receive state and local funding. However, unlike the other cities that you've mentioned, the MTA also owns and operates 2 tunnels and 6 bridges. They charge $3.50 one-way, or 7 bucks round trip. Of that, close to half of the money collected at the bridges and tunnels goes right into the subway system and not into the budget for the bridges.

Supporting the subway is one of the excuses that the MTA has used to raise tolls on those bridges and tunnels. Saying, "If you don't want to ride the subway, but instead want to contribute to the traffic mess, then you are going to be penalized." The penalty being, you help to support the subway.

Also the MTA keeps fares on the LIRR & Metro North, lower than they probably should, since they want to encourage people to ride the train in rather than ride. While there is some logic to that, the other side of the coin is that as a city resident the MTA is using some of my money to help the commuters instead of me. So they are paying less to use the same transit services within the city as I am, since the city doesn’t tax them. If they were paying a larger share of the commuter train costs, then it would be more equitable.

Perhaps the biggest thing that has people up in arms around here is the fact that just a year ago the MTA was sitting on a rather large surplus. People want to know where that money disappeared to. It wasn't spent fixing the subway after the WTC, the Feds paid for that. It just seems to have miraculously vanished, after the elections and right before contract talks with the union.

On the other hand, there are ways for people to get the fare below $1.50. I for example always buy at least a $15 dollar metrocard, since any amount over $15 gets you a 10% bonus. So if you buy a $15 dollar card, which at a buck fifty a trip would equal 10 trips, the 10% bonus makes your card worth 16.50 and you get one extra trip for a total of 11. This comes out to about a $1.35 average per trip.

One can also buy the unlimited ride metrocards, the one-day funpass, a 7-day card, or a monthly card. These cards also provide nice discounts, reducing your fare below the normal $1.50.

I also agree with some of the other things that you've said, including the fact that we do have a vast and extensive system. One can ride it anywhere for only a buck fifty, unlike the DC system where you pay for the distance that you travel.

Alan,

I stand corrected it is the LIRR and MN fares that have not been raised in ten years. Being from LI originally and living there until a year ago I also remember the tolls which we always referred to as the "leaving LI tax" since you cannot drive upstate or to Jersey without paying some form of tolls.

With the recent talk in the newspapers about raising the LIRR fares next year I have mixed feelings on the subject insofar as I like the current $4.25 one way from my hometown in zone 7 to NYP. However, if I were in charge I would have probably raised the fares on commuter rail each year to at least cover the rate of inflation but that's just me.

Since I;m heading back there today I just hope it isn't too cold as I'm not used to it anymore :lol:

tp49 said:
Since I;m heading back there today I just hope it isn't too cold as I'm not used to it anymore :lol:
Today isn't too bad, and tomorrow it's supposed to be around 50 although rain is expected.

Then it will start to cool off for Christmas. :)

Ps. You're right that MN and LIRR should have some sort of inflation increase every other year or so.

Then it will start to cool off for Christmas.
Perfect timing, but my Christmas of all places will be spent 33,000 feet in the air and a layover in Charlotte, NC on the way to sunny Florida. Yes that's right I will be flying. Such a horrable way to spend my holiday. <_<

In Atlanta, the MARTA rail system goes directly into the airport itself. Fare is $1.75 one way, I guess-----it has been years since I had the pay regular fare....I get a transcard at work for only $35.00 a month. I think a regular transcard costs about $50...so I get a good deal all the way around.The

MARTA trains go straight downtown to the major hotels,from the airport, with very little hassle, and, if a person knows what they are doing, in some cases they can reach their hotels without going out into the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back