Amtrak P32-8

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ocasionally a DASH8 will run on the Sunset when JAX gets its switcher changed out (usually it just goes down to SFA, but ocasionally it'll go out to NOL). For the most part the Sunset runs with a P40 to NOL and one P42 out to LA from New Orleans. Ocasionally a 42 will work from NOL to SFA.

You'll occasionally see the Dash 8's on the Coast Starlight when they are shifting power between LA, Oakland and Seattle for use on surfliners, capitols, san joaquin's or cascades trains.

Railfan, I thought you knew of Geoff's Amtrak Notes webpage?! I saw you mention an update of that site a while back. That site will tell you how many P32-8s are in MOW on the NEC and more!!

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I agree with P40, its a very useful site.
I dont mean to sound rude, but I thought we had this exact same topic a few months ago? :unsure:

P32-8 Discussion
Two completely different locomotives. Amtrak Railfan is refering to the P-32-8 units in this discussion. These are the locomotives that look more like a freight loco than a passenger. The discussion you linked was on the P-32AC-DM, the third generation of the Genesis series (P-40, P-42, P-32).

Wow....Maybe I should have gotten more then 3 hours of sleep last night! :blink: I cant believe I did that......Ok well now I am going to bed. :lol: My bad guys.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Wow....Maybe I should have gotten more then 3 hours of sleep last night! :blink: I cant believe I did that......Ok well now I am going to bed. :lol: My bad guys.
Gee we haven't even reached New Years Eve and already your sleep deprived. :lol: :D

Or are you just practicing for New Years? :unsure:

I can't speak for the rest of us but I am probably the poster child for sleep deprivation.

I remember when the type frequented the Texas Eagle, so that was always a nice sight. I've always liked the Dash 8s, especially when they were in the "Pepsi Can" paint scheme. I think that they are the best looking Amtrak units, and it is a shame that they are soon to be retired.

Had a chance to see my first (and only) Dash-8 last August on #2 SAS-NOL. Assume it was just being moved across country as it is not normal to see one on that segment of the Sunset. Must admit though it was a rather "handsome" locomotive!

The DASH8's in my opinion have always looked good at the head end hauling a train, especially in Phase IV. It's a rare thing to see them leading these days, but when it does it's a very nice sight to see.

Well then you just love the P32-8 in general then, because those were the only two paint jobs the units ever recived!

AlanB said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Wow....Maybe I should have gotten more then 3 hours of sleep last night!   :blink:  I cant believe I did that......Ok well now I am going to bed.   :lol: My bad guys.
Gee we haven't even reached New Years Eve and already your sleep deprived. :lol: :D

Or are you just practicing for New Years? :unsure:
Whats sleep :D The Sunset runs with P42 at least where i see it.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Who is like the P32-8 Diesel Power?
I don't think any of us look, like it. :lol:

Sure we may be noisy, dirty, smelly, and even explode like fire, but we're nothing like the Dash 8's. B) :p

Viewliner said:
Amtrak Railfan said:

Sure we may be noisy, dirty, smelly, and even explode like fire, but we're nothing like the Dash 8's. B) :p
haha, very creative viewliner. Although I have to disagree, sometimes on early-morning practice days before school, I can look roughly like a Dash 8 :lol:

Amtrak Railfan said:
How old is this P32-8 Diesels?
If you go to the Amtrak roster on the On Track On Line site, they tell you what year each model engine was built for Amtrak.

So please, no more questions about how old Amtrak's engines are. :)

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Viewliner said:
Amtrak Railfan said:

haha, very creative viewliner. Although I have to disagree, sometimes on early-morning practice days before school, I can look roughly like a Dash 8 :lol:
On nights where I have to stay up really late or all night not only do I look like a Dash-8 but I also wind up with a really quick temper and lack of patience that causes me to come down on things that annoy me with the power of a Dash-8 :)

My only complaint with the DASH 8s is the location of the markers, I think they should be over the cab widows (F-40 style) rather than across from the headlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back