Amtrak Pacific Parlor Car vs. Via Rail Park Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More park/parlour trivia.

First - I mis-spoke. VIA had bought 8 US domes in anticipation of needing more cars. With the cutbacks, they were never used and were sold back to the US in the last year or so. Gateway/Butterworth was involved in many/most of them, but "Silver Sky" that I said he bought was bought by someone else.

As far as the "Parks" - i.e. dome/sleeper/round-end obs, CP built 18 - 7 for the Canadian, 8 for the Dominion, 2 for Toronto service (others worked Vancouver/Montreal) and 1 spare. 1 was wrecked, 1 is in a Canadian museum and 2 have been sold to US buyers with 14 active. The 7 "CZ" cars (virtually identical) have been covered here already (I'll be on the Silver Solarium behind SP 4449 beginning 10/13 - eat your heart out). There were seven MORE round-end dome/obs cars as well (not sleepers). The first was the tail car on the original GM "Train of Tomorrow". There were 3 for the "Chessie" that never saw service there and ended up on the D&RGW with vestibules built so they could run mid-train, one for the Wabash "BlueBird", and Silver View and Silver Vista for the "Twin Zephyr".

There were also a number of "square-end" dome/obs cars (UP had a bunch) plus Denver Zephyr, KC Zephyr, etc, and of course MANY round-end and square-end obs cars WITHOUT domes.

ATSF built 6 full sets of hi-levels to cover chiago-west coast service. Amtrak only needed 4 lounges (parlors) for the Coast Starlight so modified 5 (1 protection car). The 6th lounge is in private ownership. There were also 6 diners, but they are also all in private hands.

"Ex-Milwaukee Road, I'm pretty sure, built by the Milwaukee as lounge cars and converted by Amtrak to diner service." - They were coaches with 66 seats upstairs and 22 seats downstairs. They were not diners
I KNOW that they were not diners. I said they were converted into diners. I thought they were lounges. And in anycase, since I didn't actually haul up my book of Amtrak car statistics, because I wasn't home when posting it, I did put a caveat of "I'm pretty sure", which means I'm not positive on my information.

Secondly, they were rotten mechanically. I am consulting my book right now. When Amtrak bought them, their trucks were 23 years old, their braking system, while compatible with Amtraks, was in serious need of an overhaul, they had significant metal fatigue problems, and their underfloor members were suffering from corrosion. They were refurbished for high end service, yadda yadda. Yeah, they put lipstick on a pig. They were given a nice interior and a nice repaint. They were NOT significantly upgraded mechanically- or even at all, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back