Amtrak Pets on Board Trial

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a can of worms. Does this mean that soon there may be a snake, spider, lizard etc in a flimsy cage under the seat in front of me? What about people allergic to pet hair? Amtrak will lose more Pax than gain.
Cans of worms still not permitted, by the way.

How quickly we (and Amtrak and ILDOT) forget:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/59567-illini-392-accident-in-savoy-il-april-24/&do=findComment&comment=521792

How'd you like to be a pet on THAT train? When Fluffy or Fido starts peeing and crapping in your space, leaving them at home won't seem quite so bad.
Well how do the airlines handle it? How do the local transit services handle it?

What a can of worms. Does this mean that soon there may be a snake, spider, lizard etc in a flimsy cage under the seat in front of me? What about people allergic to pet hair? Amtrak will lose more Pax than gain.
I hope so. I don't think it's right to limit the type of animal as long as it fits in the weight and size standards. Though I can see a ban on spiders, scorpions, and poisonous snakes, and constrictor snakes over a certain size. As well as any animal needing an "open" cage with liquid (turtles, fish?, frogs). Frankly, Hamsters, Mice, Guinea Pigs would have less of a potential environmental impact than a dog or cat would. Their waste products are miniscule compared to a dog or cat. As to the allergies. As was already mentioned, there are far more potential allergens from humans already on board. What do the people allergic to perfume? or certain fabrics do?

How quickly we (and Amtrak and ILDOT) forget:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/59567-illini-392-accident-in-savoy-il-april-24/&do=findComment&comment=521792

How'd you like to be a pet on THAT train? When Fluffy or Fido starts peeing and crapping in your space, leaving them at home won't seem quite so bad.
Well how do the airlines handle it? How do the local transit services handle it?
I hope so. I don't think it's right to limit the type of animal as long as it fits in the weight and size standards. Though I can see a ban on spiders, scorpions, and poisonous snakes, and constrictor snakes over a certain size. As well as any animal needing an "open" cage with liquid (turtles, fish?, frogs). Frankly, Hamsters, Mice, Guinea Pigs would have less of a potential environmental impact than a dog or cat would. Their waste products are miniscule compared to a dog or cat. As to the allergies. As was already mentioned, there are far more potential allergens from humans already on board. What do the people allergic to perfume? or certain fabrics do?
Well, there's always the baggage car... :)

What about them? Service dogs already travel on Amtrak. It's not like Amtrak has ever been completely animal-free.

Well after reading this thread: :giggle:

Thought 1 ) Great, now we will have idiots trying to transport drugs inside of dogs

Thought 2 ) 25 dogs in a baggage car all fighting for the crack in the door to hang their heads in the breeze

Thought 3 ) Before we let dogs on the trains, can't we get rid of the lounge lizards FIRST ? :eek:

Thought 4 ) Well this brings a new meaning to " the great unwashed in coach"

Well after reading this thread: :giggle:

Thought 1 ) Great, now we will have idiots trying to transport drugs inside of dogs

Thought 2 ) 25 dogs in a baggage car all fighting for the crack in the door to hang their heads in the breeze

Thought 3 ) Before we let dogs on the trains, can't we get rid of the lounge lizards FIRST ? :eek:

Thought 4 ) Well this brings a new meaning to " the great unwashed in coach"
Well, we could always use the dogs to get rid of the lounge lizards. :giggle:

The hamster will be happy to read this!
Dogs and cats only, per the press release.
Expect howls of protest from the hamster lobby. It's RACISM against small furry rodents! ;-)
But I have one of those new designer breeds--the Hamdog. :giggle:

images.jpg
LOL

I can understand why Amtrak is officially limiting the pets to cats and dogs. If they also allow hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, then why not a raccoon, ferret, or other less tame animals? Cats and dogs are likely to have rabies shots and be screened for rabies and other diseases. But what about a "pet" raccoon? Or any number of possible pathogens from rodent species, birds, reptiles, snakes?
If the new pet policy goes wide, I'm sure people will bring along the occasional hamster, rabbit with a yea, ok, from the station staff. But a formal rule limiting the carry-on pets to cats and dogs will keep the range and size of carry-on pets under control.

If I was moving from one city to another, I would figure out a way to get my dog and/or cat there without infringing on the travel of others with possible noise, odor and potential allergens/parasites (fleas. ticks) that may cause a lessened travel experience for my fellow pax.

Evidently there are many here who feel that to be too cumbersome a burden. Their own travel experience and selfishness is paramount to them. C'est la vie.

So, I would suppose that these folks would not mind a bit if they were assigned a coach seat next to someone with a yapping chihuahua, or a cat with a bladder problem, or in a roomette across from a pooch that likes to howl in the darkness. Good for them. On the other hand, I doubt many pax would.

Perhaps the conductors/attendants should ask pax when boarding if they agree with this policy change, and if so, seat them next to the pax with the animals in one area of the train, so they can share with those who agree with them, and let them bask in the sounds and odors. And get to scratch themselves a bit if there are parasites.

Leaving the rest of the train for the rest of us.

I sincerely hope this experiment fails loudly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this trial is a good start... what works/does not work for Amtrak and the passenger.

From a practical aspect, a 20 lb limit is about the maximum for under a seat or on a lap (while in a carrier)... about what you would expect to be practical for a child. If service expands the purchase of an adjoining seat for the larger (or multiple) pet would be reasonable.

The potential issues with allergies should not be a problem as long as the pet is in a carrier, and especially if the pet does not come into touch contact with the person with an allergy. It does not seem to be an issue with the legitimate service animals already using Amtrak.

The big issue is to how to enforce good pet stewardship in feeding, watering, and policing after pets, especially on the longest allowed trips. If the policy becomes unrestricted length system wide I can visualize pet friendly motels in places like Havre having a booming business both from responsible overnight respite stay, and those passengers whose pets are invited off the train.

As to a can of worms... if they are pets they might not be allowed, but if they are fish bait would they be?

I can probably put up with a barking dog or a meowing cat for a couple hours but two days seems a bit excessive. I'm not sure this will make any sense outside of corridor routes unless and until the baggage cars can carry the pets. Maybe have "visit your pet" stops where we currently allow smoking or something.

I can probably put up with a barking dog or a meowing cat for a couple hours but two days seems a bit excessive. I'm not sure this will make any sense outside of corridor routes unless and until the baggage cars can carry the pets. Maybe have "visit your pet" stops where we currently allow smoking or something.
I seem to recall that, even if pets are allowed on all trains, there will be a mileage or time limit. It wouldn't be a two-day journey. (And honestly, I wouldn't want to keep my pet in a carrier for that long anyway.) I believe it was something like 500 miles?

The bill that was submitted in Congress to force Amtrak to enact a pets carry-on policy applied only to short to medium distance services of less than 750 miles. The LD trains were exempt. Since this experiment is clearly in response to the pressure (aka threat) from Congress to allow carry-on pets, I doubt there will be a change to allow pets on the LD trains.
If the carry-on pets option expands to more trains, Amtrak may add restrictions to limit pets to trips of a maximum of so many hours or miles for the corridor trains. NYP to Charlotte on the Carolinian is a pretty long haul for a dog in a cage.

There is an additional question of whether all the states would go along with allowing carry-on pets on their state supported train service. If Missouri says no, they are not going to allow pets on the River runner, but IL allows pets on the Lincoln service, that could result in confusion for connections in STL.

As to the allergies. As was already mentioned, there are far more potential allergens from humans already on board. What do the people allergic to perfume? or certain fabrics do?
Well, I have to take allergy pills during my entire trip and I still end up somewhat sick. The people who are allergic to pets can just stay away from the "pet car", so they're better off than that.

If I was moving from one city to another, I would figure out a way to get my dog and/or cat there without infringing on the travel of others with possible noise, odor and potential allergens/parasites (fleas. ticks) that may cause a lessened travel experience for my fellow pax.
Humans create noise, odor, and frequently carry parasites and infectious diseases. Perhaps we should have human-free railroads. The Class I freight railroads would like that.

I can understand why Amtrak is officially limiting the pets to cats and dogs. If they also allow hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, then why not a raccoon, ferret, or other less tame animals? Cats and dogs are likely to have rabies shots and be screened for rabies and other diseases. But what about a "pet" raccoon? Or any number of possible pathogens from rodent species, birds, reptiles, snakes?
Your main pathogen risk is from creatures closely related to humans. (Mammals are closely related, and rodents are particularly closely related.) It's very unusual to catch anything from reptiles and birds, let alone fish.

While I am all for corridor pet travel, I would like to add that I don't think its a good idea to bring a pet on a LD trip. I am all for reasonable accomodations like pets under a seat (like a PLANE!!!) for a short trip in the realms of 4-6 hoursish.

Maybe in exchange for allowing pets on trains we stop allowing babies? To be fair half the time it's not even the baby itself that's making noise but all the fawning adults who start shouting moronic gibberish the moment they notice a baby is nearby.

While I am all for corridor pet travel, I would like to add that I don't think its a good idea to bring a pet on a LD trip. I am all for reasonable accomodations like pets under a seat (like a PLANE!!!) for a short trip in the realms of 4-6 hoursish.
How do airlines handle flights above six hours?

Short haul with these rules is OK by me,,,, LD is a different banana,, water, food, excrement all become much more glaring issues,,, whoever wanted to put babies in the baggage car,,, i didn't bother to look who it was, should take that as their permanent seat,,, and if the conductor can say by by to anyone at any time for Fido or ****'s indiscretion I am cool with that because in my world, the conductor is ALWAYS right

Short haul with these rules is OK by me,,,, LD is a different banana,, water, food, excrement all become much more glaring issues,,, whoever wanted to put babies in the baggage car,,, i didn't bother to look who it was, should take that as their permanent seat,,, and if the conductor can say by by to anyone at any time for Fido or ****'s indiscretion I am cool with that because in my world, the conductor is ALWAYS right
I think you misread my comment. :) I said we don't put people/babies in the baggage car, for a plethora of health and safety reasons, so pets don't belong there either.

Maybe in exchange for allowing pets on trains we stop allowing babies? To be fair half the time it's not even the baby itself that's making noise but all the fawning adults who start shouting moronic gibberish the moment they notice a baby is nearby.

How do airlines handle flights above six hours?
I actually don't know but you are welcome to search and report back. :p

I checked at it looks like the american legacy carriers (delta, american, etc) only allow pets in the cabin for domestic flights so transatlantic and flights to hawaii are banned. So for a cross country flight we are looking at 6-7 hourish, right?

Nobody is advocating babies in a baggage car.

I don't want my quiet and well behaved baggage exposed to something like that.

Am I the only one who is honestly disturbed by those proclaiming some sort of equivalence between human infants and pet animals?

Am I the only one who is honestly disturbed by those proclaiming some sort of equivalence between human infants and pet animals?
Ok, look. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I realize animals are not human babies. When I compare them, I mean:

-Animals are sensitive to temperature, just like humans

-Animals can get severely injured, or die, if a load shifts and something falls on their crate and breaks it, just like a human would if something fell on us

-Animals require water and food, just like humans

The reason I compare them as such is to make the point that a human in a baggage compartment would be neither comfortable nor safe. Therefore, why would we put animals back there? They aren't cargo, so why treat them as such? They are living creatures, just like humans. I didn't say they ARE humans.

This trial is still for short distances only. The proposed bill was for short distances only. I think we're all in agreement that especially with this issue, LD trains are an entirely different animal than short distance trains.

As for airlines, AFAIK they only allow domestic animals on domestic flights, so they are by definition shorter flights. Animals are rarely (if ever) allowed on longer flights, because those will all be international, and very few countries allow you to bring in live animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back