Amtrak "Ready to Build" Campaign

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigDK

Service Attendant
Amtrak has unveiled its "Ready to Build Campaign" this morning.

Press release here.

Ready to Build web page.

Other than the inclusion of Chicago Union Station, all the projects are in the Northeast Corridor. While I cannot say how effect the campaign might be, it is good to see them publicly highlight these various projects including the benefits they will provide.

Introduction video (there are 5 others)

Interesting that the entire campaign is out if nec.amtrak.com, and it incidentally includes Chicago Union Station. Looks like it is primarily an NEC thing.
Good point. So it got me thinking what else, or elsewhere, is anything "Ready to Build".

Virginia probably could build the D.C.-Richmond-Petersburg corridor even faster if they got more federal money. Include the Potomac Long Bridge in that entry. Chicago probably could get going on another CREATE anti-bottleneck project or two.

It would be great if the South of the Lake route, CHI-Porter, was ready to go. But I don't think they even have a Record of Decision, and they took down the web page that used to purport to make "progress reports". The restored and upgraded Richmond-Raleigh corridor, well, it's in line, but both Virginia and North Carolina are still busy with other work.

In Illinois, there's Stage 2 projects for the full 110-mph service, like double-tracking the rest of the way St Louis-Joliet, that may have most permits and engineering done. Joliet-CHI, I suspect, is in no way ready for any work. Michigan's Wolverines route seems mired in murk. They haven't even picked the new location for the busiest train station in the state (Ann Arbor). You'd think Washington and Oregon and California would have been planning their to-do lists, but there's not much on the table to point to.

So I'm not recalling many projects ready to build. The anti-rail and anti-spending derangement syndrome in Congress has cast a pall on planning nationwide.

Of course, Amtrak could order 500 or 600 single-level coaches to replace the current fleet, and order another 200 or 300 cars for future added frequencies or restored routes. Likewise for bi-level equipment. And locomotives.

But when the next recession hits (and one is overdue), again we won't be ready when Congress is ready to fund shovel-ready infrastructure projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could this be an opening salvo at Capitol hill putting the problems at their feet where it belongs? IMO this campaign has been needed for at least 8 years since the last ARRA.

Could this be an opening salvo at Capitol Hill ? IMO this campaign has been needed for at least 8 years since the last ARRA.
It makes the priorities clear, and so easier for even Congress to understand.

The new Portal Bridge is both the most-ready-to-build project, and the least costly. That could tempt Congress to pay for the one, while continuing to postpone on the others. (Meanwhile note that the four multi-billion projects are all D.C.-NYC, none are NYC-BOS.)

Other big investments will be needed: better catenary, undercutting, added tracks in Maryland, assorted smaller bridges and culverts, etc. But that work is more spread out, whereas these big projects are readily identified, and suitable for ground-breaking photo ops, LOL.

Anyway, this looks like good use of the co-CEOs. Two businessmen about the typical age of Congresscritters making a big pitch for help. And making the appeal before they are tarnished by petty attacks about the price of Amtrak's on-board hamburgers etc.

The major works needed on movable bridges east of New York are all in MNRR territory. The New London and Niantic movable bridge that needed work in Amtrak territory have already been rebuilt.

And there is already the huge multi gazillion dollars including cost and time overruns cluster intercourse in the form of ESA/Harold/Amtrak bypass etc. what not, already poking along in the New York area. I guess there is also the Pelham bridge on the Hell Gate Line in need of some TLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know who's been sabotaging the South of the Lake project, but the current state smells like sabotage. They should have had a final EIS out by now.

This poster feels that the North Portal bridge can be the most critical project of all the listed. If one North river tunnel bore fails some trains can still get thru. If the present Portal swing bridge fails or gets major barge damage not Amtrak or NJ Transit trains can go from Newark <> NYP. The only service could be Secaucus <> NYP shuttle service. Once North Portal is in operation then you have 2 bridges as redundant lines as long as the present Portal bridge remains operational and 4 tracks allowing some passing of expresses by local NJT trains.

Back