Amtrak Restores Montreal connection to VT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Amtrak's press release:

April 14, 2005  Amtrak Vermonter Adds Airport Connection, Restores Service to Montreal

New schedule allows extra stops and bus connection to Canada  

WASHINGTON - Schedule improvements to the Spring/Summer 2005 Amtrak System Timetable will allow the Vermonter two more opportunities to serve passengers. Thanks to a partnership between Amtrak and the Vermont Agency of Transportation, beginning April 25, 2005 the weekday Vermonter will begin stopping at the Newark International Airport rail station. On May 1, 2005 the Vermonter's connection to Montreal, via motor-coach service, will be restored.

Weekday Service

Train #55, the southbound Vermonter, will leave St. Albans two hours later than its current schedule, with a departure time set for 8:30 a.m. The train is scheduled to arrive in New York at 6:25 p.m. and in Washington at 10:05 p.m.

Train #56, the northbound Vermonter, will leave Washington one hour later than its current schedule, with a departure time set for 8:05 a.m. The train is scheduled to arrive in New York at 11:30 a.m. and St. Albans at 9:25 p.m.

Both of these new schedules include an added stop at Newark International Airport in New Jersey. Train #55 will arrive at Newark International Airport at 7:07 p.m. and train #56 will arrive at 10:51 a.m.

Weekend Service

Train #57, the Saturday-Sunday southbound Vermonter, will leave St. Albans two hours later than its current schedule, with a departure time set for 8:30 a.m. The train is scheduled to arrive in New York at 6:25 p.m. and in Washington at 10:20 p.m.

Train #54, the Saturday-Sunday northbound Vermonter, will maintain its current departure time from Washington at 7:30 a.m. However, it will not depart New York until 11:30 a.m., one-half hour later than the current schedule. It is scheduled to arrive in St. Albans at 9:25 p.m.

The weekend Vermonter trains will maintain their current stops at Newark International Airport.

Connection to Montreal

Through an agreement with Vermont Transit, connecting buses will restore daily Vermonter service to Montreal beginning May 1.

"This schedule change provides Vermonters choice and accessibility," said Governor Jim Douglas, "Travel options that connect us with our northern neighbors are vital to support Vermont's growing economy."

Connection to the northbound service (trains #54, 56) will depart St. Albans at 9:30 p.m. with a scheduled arrival of 11:00 p.m. in Montreal. Connection to southbound service (trains# 55, 57) will depart Montreal at 5:45 a.m. with a scheduled arrival of 7:45 a.m. in St. Albans.

Vermonter bus connection to Montreal

Read Down                                                                   Read Up

8057        8055      Thruway Bus Number                        8054            8056

Sa-Su       M-F        Mile Frequency                                 Sa-Su           M-F

5:45am   5:45am   0 Dp Montreal, PQ - Central Station    Ar 11:00pm   11:00pm

7:45am   7:45am   69 Ar St. Albans, VT                          Dp 9:30pm    9:30pm

The full press release from Amtrak can be found here.

Thanks for the info Alan. I am planning a trip to Vermont this fall. Which poses this question for me - which train do you think would be the better out of Chicago? I would love to take the Cresent, as I have never be on that train before. Or do you think I should stick with the Capitol? (which I have been on several times) Does one train save more time vs the other in respect to getting to Vermont? I haven't decided where to stay in Vermont for sure. Maybe Bellows Falls or Montpieler. Anyway, any input would be appreciated!

Stevie/KC Amtrak Person :)

I'm assuming that you mean the Lake Shore Limited, as the Crescent runs from New Orleans not from Chicago.

Either train however will require an overnight stay, since both arrive too late to connect to the Vermonter. The Capitol will probably be cheaper, especially for sleepers, than the Lake Shore. Scenery wise both are decent choices.

Do a price comparison to see which one will end up being cheaper, obviously if you take the Capitol it will require more mileage and time, but hey you're on the train, who cares? There's also a lot to be said for the experience of racing down the corridor at 125 MPH.

Back